Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fey dwarf fears  (Read 3730 times)

Jakkarra

Fey dwarf fears
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:12:35 pm »

hey, ive just gotten a fey weaponsmith, and hes decided he wants to make a platinum weapon, i have no other real use for the platinum and won't really miss it, but is it worth me letting him use it for his mood? im worried that it may be too heavy, or something, is there a need for me to revert to the save JUST before he claimed the shop? or will a platinum weapon's badass factor outweigh any problems?

either way, ill update you all on the outcome.

im not a moron.

love, jakkarra

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Fey dwarf fears
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:20:45 pm »

Nah, it's still good. Even a platinum Artifact will slaughter things in the hands of a Champion. And you'll have a plenty of masterwork iron/steel weapons for everyone else.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jakkarra

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:24:26 pm »

oh, i know itll do heavy damage, even artifact bone crap trumps iron, im just wondering if there will be any drawbacks?

love, jakkarra

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:25:42 pm »

Not likely, since a Champion has to use it and any Champion is likely to be Mighty enough to not care about the extra weight.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:36:32 pm »

And, of course, it will be extremely valuable.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 04:56:45 pm »

Nah, it's still good. Even a platinum Artifact will slaughter things in the hands of a Champion. And you'll have a plenty of masterwork iron/steel weapons for everyone else.
What about an artifact soap hammer?  ;D
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 05:15:44 pm »

Is that possible?  It would be amazing.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 05:33:43 pm »

They'll still be slaughtered, but at least they'll be clean.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:52:12 pm »

The downside?

Engravings of the bloody thing everywhere because it's so goddamn valuable.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:31:49 pm »

oh, i know itll do heavy damage, even artifact bone crap trumps iron, im just wondering if there will be any drawbacks?

They trump standard quality iron. (Exactly equal it, actually*.)

It will have a material modifier of 50%, just like wood or silver or any material other than the usual ones. (yes, including soap).  Vs 133% for steel (not to mention 500% for adamantine), that's a bit of a hit right there, quality modifiers or no.

(* "other material" = 50%, masterwork/artifact quality = 200%, = 100% net.)

The only real downside other than that is if it's lost (the dwarf dies and gobbos steal it off the map, he cunningly dodges into a river, etc etc etc), you'll have the usual repercussions from a lost artifact.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 12:33:06 am »

love, jakkarra

Depends; how do you feel about a champion occasionally turning sparring partners into a fine red mist?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 12:51:46 am »

im not a moron.

love, jakkarra

Something about this is making me laugh hysterically. Probably the implication that you think that people are going to call you a moron.

Jakkarra

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 01:04:13 am »

im not a moron.

love, jakkarra

Something about this is making me laugh hysterically. Probably the implication that you think that people are going to call you a moron.

well, i am assuming that some of my posts make me seem like an idiot.

think of it as a precognititive measure

ill get the weaponsmith to make the sword tonight then, still wish it was HFS though, it would be hilarious.

i hope toady dosent take away t.dwarfs ability to make artifacts outta crap like soap and bone...

i results will be here tonight.

love, jakkarra

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 02:14:37 am »

They'll still be slaughtered, but at least they'll be clean.

The Champion strikes at the Gobbo's head with his Kittin Tallow Soap Hammer!
It explodes in bubbles!

Had to say that... anyways, you will proly read this too late, but you can usualy just forbid crappy materials untill he grabs something proper, as long as its the same type. He wont go mad unless it takes too long.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Jakkarra

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 01:05:55 pm »

Platinum, Iron maiden trifle pewter, an alder twig.

any guesses what he will make?

love, jakkarra
Pages: [1] 2 3