Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: huntable and butcherable, etc  (Read 1858 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
huntable and butcherable, etc
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:16:47 am »

I apologize for busting your balls with this again, but I'm going to need some clear data before I can gen another world. I hope you don't mind.

1. It is my understanding that to be able to butcher a creature I have to change my eat_sentient values to acceptable, right?

2. From what I've seen, I'm still not able to hunt any humanoids that way. Do I remove tags like can_learn, can_speak and slow_learner?

2.a. If I remove those tags from creatures like gobs or humies, won't it break them? I mean, I'm sort of assuming that those tags might be used for things other than skill acquisition and determining whether they can be preyed upon.

3. Even if I succeed at the above and manage to hunt and butcher humanoids, will I be able to butcher the bodies of prey whose cause of death was something else? Because unless I'll be able to make biscuits out of drowning goblin invaders, this isn't going to be worth it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: huntable and butcherable, etc
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:42:39 pm »

I'm curious about this myself. Back in 39 I was able to make goblins butcherable. I had huge rooms of butcher and tanning workshops, and after a siege armies of peasants would drag the bodies back into the fort and hack them apart.

Goblins were a major resource! Iron, bones, leather, meat, and tallow.

I haven't been able to replicate this in the current version however.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:37:27 pm »

I think that for something to be butcherable, it has to have been killed by a hunter that was hunting it. So no goblin tallow roasts, I'm afraid.

bhamv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 02:16:17 am »

Here are my experiences:

Creatures killed by any of your dwarves can be butchered, as long as they're brought to a refuse stockpile.  Animals killed by military squads that have "harass dangerous animals" set, for example, can be butchered as long as your dwarves are told to gather refuse from outside.

Changing the "eat sentient" settings to acceptable, as far as I can tell, actually doesn't do much in fortress play.  I've killed stuff like troglodytes and frogmen, but my butchers won't touch them even when they're on refuse stockpiles.  However, it does allow you to embark with troglodyte meat and frogmen meat, and you can request them from your mountainhomes liaison.

I think eating goblins isn't possible in this version.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:30:48 am by bhamv »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 05:16:12 am »

Its really sad i can't butcher all this...
Finis sanctificat media.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:06:08 am »

Here are my experiences:

Creatures killed by any of your dwarves can be butchered, as long as they're brought to a refuse stockpile.  Animals killed by military squads that have "harass dangerous animals" set, for example, can be butchered as long as your dwarves are told to gather refuse from outside.

Changing the "eat sentient" settings to acceptable, as far as I can tell, actually doesn't do much in fortress play.  I've killed stuff like troglodytes and frogmen, but my butchers won't touch them even when they're on refuse stockpiles.  However, it does allow you to embark with troglodyte meat and frogmen meat, and you can request them from your mountainhomes liaison.

I think eating goblins isn't possible in this version.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I can give up on my dream of including humanoid products in my meat industry, at least in this release.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 04:20:49 pm »

What about setting goblins to drop an item when they die? Much like a bronze collusus drops a statue when it dies instead of a corpse.

Can the goblins drop a goblin corpse when they die instead of their own corpse? This generic goblin corpse could be butcherable and rot, so you'd basically just be spawning a creature that starts off dead.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 05:06:25 pm »

What about setting goblins to drop an item when they die? Much like a bronze collusus drops a statue when it dies instead of a corpse.

Can the goblins drop a goblin corpse when they die instead of their own corpse? This generic goblin corpse could be butcherable and rot, so you'd basically just be spawning a creature that starts off dead.

That's brilliant!

All you have to do is create a second goblin creature file.

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:GOBLIN_BUTCHER]
[NAME:goblin:goblins:goblin]
[TILE:'g'][COLOR:7:0:0]
[GLOWTILE:'"'][GLOWCOLOR:4:0:1]
[GENPOWER:2]
[EVIL]
[LIKES_FIGHTING]
[BONECARN]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[PREFSTRING:terrifying features]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:2:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[SIZE:6]
[FAT:2]
[EQUIPS]
[NOCTURNAL]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[LAYERING:10]

And reference it in the goblin itemcorpse! You would just have to figure out the item token for goblin corpses.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:59:41 pm »

Wow! And here I had lost hope...

I'll try to implement this tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if the eat_sapient tags can be modified without starting another game, because if no, then I'm screwed. Not gonna be starting a new game because of this, but it will be good to know.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:04:13 pm »

The really cool part of using a dummy itemcorpse is that you don't need to change the eat_sapient tags. You don't need to give the dummy goblin entry [INTELLIGENT].
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 02:07:14 am »

The really cool part of using a dummy itemcorpse is that you don't need to change the eat_sapient tags. You don't need to give the dummy goblin entry [INTELLIGENT].

Oh, I see. I'm pretty new to this modding stuff (or the game in general), so excuse me if I need some questions answered before I'll be able to make it work:

1. I've made 3 "new" goblin entities in hopes of making them siege me more often. Will I need to make a new corpse for each one of them? I'm assuming no, but I figure I'd ask you anyway.
2. What's the exact item_corpse entry I gotta use? Is it gonna be:
[ITEMCORPSE:GOBLIN_BUTCHER:NO_SUBTYPE:FLESH:USE_RACEGLOSS] or something else?
3. Will it work if I remove the prefstring from it? I don't want my dwarfs liking "goblin_butcher".
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:29:29 am by assimilateur »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 02:18:26 am »

Will it give us corpse or new alive non-intelligent goblin? ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 02:31:53 am »

Will it give us corpse or new alive non-intelligent goblin? ;-)

If I understood the very basic modding I've done correctly, then we'd need a new entity entry for the corpse to have them "live". But I'm very possibly wrong.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 04:57:58 am »

I've seen this in my error log:
Unrecognized Item Token: GOBLIN_BUTCHER
Unrecognized Material Token: STANDARD_FLESH

This means that I really need your help with getting this to work.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 05:04:53 am »

You cannot make corpses to be itemcorpses.
Basically what you've described makes no sense. By all means this would spawn another creature, and spawned creatures are considered vermin so no butchering for you.
Currently itemcorpse is underdeveloped. It allows you to create (as in smelter) a single item and replace the corpse with it.

Now I'm wondering if the eat_sapient tags can be modified without starting another game
I didn't try it, but cultural entity tokens may be too important and thus require a new world generation.

If you really want to get meat/bones/skull from a goblin, the only way I see is the smelter way.
You create a new "toy" item "goblin corpse" and you make a smelter reaction which turns it into bones, meat and skull.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:07:16 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2