Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cosmopolitan Settlements  (Read 1532 times)

yarm102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cosmopolitan Settlements
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:32:13 am »

I know that in world gen some civs end up being quite cosmopolitan, with members of all races being citizens of some civs. I would love this to be implemented in fortress mode, where immigrants can come from all of the neighbouring civs (this could be a feature that can be turned on and off, and could even depend on the history of your own civ). for those of us with an imperial mindset, where many different races jostling to pay obeisance to the Basileus is seen as perfectly natural, it would be great. "It all belongs to mother Russia, as it were, from sea to sea and from ice forest to steppe to desert, all bow before the Czar in perfect obedience, etc. etc.." :)

This could even lead to interesting tensions between groups of immigrants depending on alignment (or temperament, as usual). having elven woodcutters, for example, would be simply delicious, as would having legendary goblin soldiers defending your dwarven settlement.

something similar to the torture chamber feature in DK to "turn" prisoners would also be useful, for those player who find that the screams of dying goblin sacrifices to Armok elicit little more than an ennui-laden "meh".

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmopolitan Settlements
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:42:22 pm »

I would love this to be implemented in fortress mode, where immigrants can come from all of the neighbouring civs (this could be a feature that can be turned on and off, and could even depend on the history of your own civ).

I like this idea.  :)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:39:27 pm »

I'm outright expecting this once immigrants are drawn from actual populations.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Mister Six

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:43:53 am »

Yeah, this does sound like a likely consequence of pulling immigrants from actual populations. It's a fun idea, but could also cause some headaches, since your goblin hammer squad needs goblin-sized armor, and your elf haulers in tattered clothing can't wear what your dwarven clothier produces

Wait, I just realized, that would mean that it would finally be useful when the humans and elves brought their clothes in caravans, and you would have an incentive to do something other than melting down/pitting all the armor drops from goblin sieges (which seems like such a terrible destruction of history in a game that values it so highly).

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:46:12 am »

Yeah, this does sound like a likely consequence of pulling immigrants from actual populations. It's a fun idea, but could also cause some headaches, since your goblin hammer squad needs goblin-sized armor, and your elf haulers in tattered clothing can't wear what your dwarven clothier produces

Wait, I just realized, that would mean that it would finally be useful when the humans and elves brought their clothes in caravans, and you would have an incentive to do something other than melting down/pitting all the armor drops from goblin sieges (which seems like such a terrible destruction of history in a game that values it so highly).

Presumably, Goblin, Elven, and Human Clothiers/Armorers would produce their own sized armor. Or you'd have some sort of order for the workshop regarding what size it makes.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:07:52 am »

There's the question of "technology," too. For example, only dwarves are supposed to have steel. Will we give that to humans and gobbos, too? Or will they be stuck with iron?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 06:04:11 am »

Elves and humans would generally get a bad thought from living like a dwarf, unless they were totally naturalised.

"has spent too long cooped up in a cave"
"Is feeling ill from the dank air"
"Cannot stomach any more dwarven food"
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 04:21:12 pm »

There's the question of "technology," too. For example, only dwarves are supposed to have steel. Will we give that to humans and gobbos, too? Or will they be stuck with iron?

Why not? Knowledge has nothing to do with the race (except Kobolds maybe). So the other civs could get the recipe for steel if the abduct/enslave/befriend with a dwarven race.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 07:12:05 pm »

Elves and humans would generally get a bad thought from living like a dwarf, unless they were totally naturalised.

Much like the dwarves, elves and other races that get kidnapped by the Kobolds are.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 07:20:45 pm »

This could be fun. I think it sounds like a fun addition if you had to maintain a forest for your elf population, build above-ground housing for humans, towers for goblins and mountain/cave/underground dwellings for dwarves and the like.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 11:13:54 pm »

This would tie into guild's nicely.
Elven carpentry guild, Human trade guild, Dwarven metallurgy guilds, ect.