Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Oh Crap  (Read 3111 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Crap
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 06:59:58 pm »

Would be cool if something like that could be implemented in DF. Well, cool in a sick, 'Oh my god my fortress just collapsed into burning toxic fumes' kinda way.

Is there any particular reason it can't?  Everything else can travel z-levels, so there's no reason fire shouldn't be able to.  Presumably, if there's enough coal to burn, it'll burn vents to the surface(if enough coal is present) and if it destroys support, the current cave-in system would do the trick.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 07:05:04 pm »

It doesn't do that yet.  It will, eventually.  Fire can't travel z-levels at all.  Although that !!One Humped Camel!! will.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 07:24:01 pm »

Man, now I'm trying to picture a Dwarf transporting the boiling steam or the toxic gas, either with his bare hands or a bucket.  Just look into a Dwarf's inventory and see "Poison Gas [10]".

Drat, I was hoping to make a Dwarf/Dwar flask pun for transporting cold stuff, but it turns out it's spelled Dewar.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 07:27:19 am »

Would be cool if something like that could be implemented in DF. Well, cool in a sick, 'Oh my god my fortress just collapsed into burning toxic fumes' kinda way.

Is there any particular reason it can't?  Everything else can travel z-levels, so there's no reason fire shouldn't be able to.  Presumably, if there's enough coal to burn, it'll burn vents to the surface(if enough coal is present) and if it destroys support, the current cave-in system would do the trick.

It doesn't do that yet.  It will, eventually.  Fire can't travel z-levels at all.  Although that !!One Humped Camel!! will.

Well, why not?  If every creature has improved pathing that can check for UP and DOWN, the custom pathing for fire cannot be too hard to be changed to go in those directions?

Lets make a formal posting in the suggestions thread for it.

GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 09:21:58 am »

Aagh everything is full of Zombie Giant Bats.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 10:43:01 am »

As far as I am aware fire does not path.

Fire is started by something causing the temperature of a materiel to rise above it's ignition point.  Once on fire that materiel heats up until it reaches, I assume, a hard coded burning temperature.  Temperature bleeds out into adjacent tiles.

If that causes the temperature to rise enough for the materiel in the adjacent tile to catch, it lites up too, spreading the fire. 

I was pretty sure it did so on z levels too.  In my experience !!HFS!! once caused water in a pond 1 z level below it and to the side to boil away.  It could be that the temperature of adjacent z levels isn't increased as much as tiles on the same z levels.  Causing the comparatively low fire temperature from increasing the other z level's temperature enough to burn something.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 01:59:23 pm »

As far as I am aware fire does not path.

Fire is started by something causing the temperature of a materiel to rise above it's ignition point.  Once on fire that materiel heats up until it reaches, I assume, a hard coded burning temperature.  Temperature bleeds out into adjacent tiles.

If that causes the temperature to rise enough for the materiel in the adjacent tile to catch, it lites up too, spreading the fire. 

I was pretty sure it did so on z levels too.  In my experience !!HFS!! once caused water in a pond 1 z level below it and to the side to boil away.  It could be that the temperature of adjacent z levels isn't increased as much as tiles on the same z levels.  Causing the comparatively low fire temperature from increasing the other z level's temperature enough to burn something.

Theoretically, this should be an easy experiment to test.  The question, how do you intentionally trigger something to ignite on command?  Causing a fire imp to path into your ignition chamber probably isn't the best solution.  I'm not so sure channeling magma is the most wise decision either.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2009, 02:09:52 pm »

construct the following

Over the chamber, put a retracting bridge
on the bridge a stockpile for lignite with a metal bin reserved for it
pump magma to light the lignite
retract bridge to dump it
atomsmash to stop it
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 06:38:13 pm »

That's highly unlikely, for starters you'd need coal that breached the surface and a HUGE amount of it for it to create a non-coal area to drop.
What i'm referring to is something that would rely on a newer, more intuitive (and complex) support system, rather than a system where a single soap block holds up the entire fortress. No offence to Toady :)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2009, 12:43:12 am »

it would have happened in the old flat world where 7x7 was dangerous enough

it will happen again when cave ins become more dangerous

but I was thinking that coal or liginite showing as a vein through your fotress could cause problem enough that you'd chop down the walls or channel the floor, not to get the extra unit, but to save yourself from the fire (then fill the spot with an obcidian block)
GENERATION 28:

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 12:47:51 am »

It will also be more likely when Toady implements multi-level veins of minerals.
Pages: 1 2 [3]