Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reactions and the Alchemists Lab  (Read 1110 times)

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
Reactions and the Alchemists Lab
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:08:58 pm »

Is it possible to add reactions to the Alchemist's Lab, or is that still impossible?

-DB
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reactions and the Alchemists Lab
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:37:51 pm »

Is it possible to add reactions to the Alchemist's Lab, or is that still impossible?

-DB

Still impossible. Will be possible next version.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 04:44:03 pm »

Has Toady finished work on that yet? Is modding other buildings going to be possible?

-DB
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:35:17 pm »

Depends on what you mean by "modding."

SOME buildings will be able to have reactions added to them, much like the smelter now. The only buildings confirmed so far are the Kitchen, the Alchemist's, and I think the Tannery. I don't think he'll be working on the others yet, but it's always possible.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:56:58 pm »

Depends on what you mean by "modding."

SOME buildings will be able to have reactions added to them, much like the smelter now. The only buildings confirmed so far are the Kitchen, the Alchemist's, and I think the Tannery. I don't think he'll be working on the others yet, but it's always possible.
finally the possibility of going into the kitchen with beer and coming out with gold bars.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:58:55 pm »

finally the possibility of going into the kitchen with beer and coming out with gold bars.

No, I'm fairly certain liquids and other items that require a container still won't work very well in reactions.

The material system will be getting an overhaul, though, so maybe -- just maybe -- you'll be able to mod the game so that beer comes in solid alco-wads.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:13:45 pm »

The material system will be getting an overhaul, though, so maybe -- just maybe -- you'll be able to mod the game so that beer comes in solid alco-wads.

Yeah, if the product was of item type GLOB, it might work.  I think those can be picked up and carried around, even if they're in a liquid state.

Toady on new reactions and containers:

Quote from: Doomduckie
Has it been indicated in this version whether reactions will be able to both use and create things that are inside barrels or vials or the like, such as alcohol or other extracts/powders/seeds?

I think but can't promise without some further work on countdown things that aren't done yet that you'll be able to use stuff in containers.  I'd have to check if they grab containers for the new liquid products, but I wouldn't count on it.  There were a few things left to do in the reaction countdowns so I can't really be specific yet.

Quote from: Warlord255
Is it still true that we can make reactions in these workshops (and if there are others, what are they?); and, can these new reactions handle items in barrels and/or vials, or corpse/harvested items like shell or horn?

The latter definitely, since that was the idea behind it.  As for containers...  it has been a while, but I think you can use the job flag tags, so regular job style container use would work, but you can't add new job tags, so using a new system in a vial...  that might not work.  Probably not.  I never tested the new stuff (some butchery stuff still needs to be written), so I'm not fully comfortable with it yet.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 10:37:49 am »

That's good to hear. Booze cooking being removed by way of a smelter bug would be monstrously annoying. I wonder if it'll handle stack quantities properly now? It's kind of annoying using plants in reactions without running out of seeds.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.