Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (N)otes  (Read 1346 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(N)otes
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:55:36 pm »

Has anybody else noticed this feature? I couldn't find it in the wiki and a search turned up zilcho.

Press shift + n and you'll get a nifty little thing I just figured out how to use; notes. You can place little markers of a chosen colour and symbol somewhere, then type up too 100 words into a little text box.

Currently, I'm using these to remind myself what each room will be and what will go in it (I'm designating everything currently, no digging yet) so I don't forget and miss a bunch of important buildings or something.

I imagine they would have infinite uses though; You can mark levers! You could leave "to do" lists around, or remind yourself of all kinds of things.

Anyway, just posting here to let you all know. Post if you have any good uses for these things!
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Re: (N)otes
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 01:14:02 pm »

I played with this a little to mark levers myself, but I couldn't figure out how to change the color.

Jakkarra

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 01:17:59 pm »

yeah, ive know about this feature for a while, and i believe that a majority of the community does aswell.

it IS a very useful feature, its just unfortunate that it does not affect adventure mode. leaving notes for other pwople would be cool, but is (currently) unimplemented.

still, Kudos for Distributing this knowledge.

love, jakkarra

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:22:36 pm »

You can mark levers! You could leave "to do" lists around, or remind yourself of all kinds of things.

You can leave insults to players in succession games!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:28:49 pm »

I played with this a little to mark levers myself, but I couldn't figure out how to change the color.
You press "c" then use the + or - keys to move the selector around. There are 3 different selectors: symbol selector, symbol colour selector, and background colour selector. Whichever X is white is the one you control.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 01:40:12 pm »

The Notes interface is obtuse even by DF standards.  I never use the text, I just place unique pairs of symbols on each lever and whatever it's connected to.

I do not understand the s subcommand.  Explanation?

Jakkarra

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:49:00 pm »

ive wondered about that feature as well, moose.

anyone care to inform us?

love, jakkarra

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 01:58:40 pm »

Huh, i just never knew about that... Well there goes supposing everyone else knows.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 02:44:40 pm »

Ok, here's how it works:

Press (N) to bring up the notes screen.
Moving around with the arrows sets the location where you want the note to be anchored, and you'll see the cursor moving around the screen. Notes show up as symbols on screen when you enter the note function, much the same way that zones show up when you enter the zone function, but you can set the symbol and color to your choosing.

In the notes screen, you see 3 'X's. One shows the note symbol, one shows the foreground color, and one shows the background color. On the symbol line, you see what the displayed symbol will look like. One of the 'X's is white, and the other two are grey. The white one is active and you can move it using the usual up/down keys. Pressing 'c' moves the selector from the symbols to the foreground color, then to the background color, then to the symbols. Notice the 'X's change from grey to white as you press 'c'. It's subtle.

When you have the symbol you want, press 'p' to place it. This changes the menus, disabling 'place' until you move to a new location (only one note per tile) and enabling 'text' and 'adopt selected'. If you move the cursor, you'll see your note symbol flashing on the tile where you placed it. The flashing indicates that it is the currently displayed note, and you can see how far away from it with the coordinates at the top of the notes screen. It always displays the closest note, even if its offscreen, but using the coords you can see where you need to move to get to the note tile itself.

Once you have placed a note, press 'n' to enter some text. You have 100 characters to work with. Type it up and press return.

If you don't like your note symbol, you can go through the symbol selector, pick a new symbol or new colors and press 's' to replace the old symbol with the new one.

If you want to delete the note, make sure it's the active one and press 'd'.

I *always* label levers, and sometimes also label bridges, floodgates, etc. to remind me which lever I need to pull to activate them. In a really complex fortress with dozens of levers, I always do both. You never know when you'll walk away from a fortress for a few weeks, come back and not know how to do anything. I tend to use symbols that represent what the lever controls, so a lever for a door will have a door symbol, a floodgate a floodgate symbol, etc. I color code my levers, so I know approximately what they do - red can injure dwarves, dk red controls magma, dk blue controls water at the source, lt blue at the function, etc. I usually use note colors to match the lever color, but the note colors aren't really that important if I have lever colors set. Sometimes I don't have access to the colored stone I need and then the note color becomes more important. Things like obsidian farms usually have a fair number of levers that operate in a certain sequence so the notes really help a lot.

Any questions?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 02:48:22 pm by Martin »

Nicpon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 02:51:58 pm »

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:59:17 pm »

I think Notes are somewhat underestimated by players, especially in succession games where your "F the World" lever is located directly next to your "Unseal the HFS" lever and the gobbos come a'knocking
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 04:02:17 pm »

Succession games could benefit (how differently Boatmurdered could have turned out if the "irrigate farms" lever was labelled to be different from the "Flood random rooms" lever).  I only have 2 atm (drawbridge lever, flood main cavern lever) so I don't really need it, but later on it would get useful.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 04:14:15 pm »

I always use these to mark levers - ESPECIALLY in succession games.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 05:47:38 pm »

The notes are actually pretty easy to figure out how to use, even the color thing; like just about everything else in DF, it tells you what buttons do what at the bottom of the screen. The color/symbol changing is still too much of a hassle for me to use it that much, though.

I usually just use them for placing levers, but sometimes I use them to mark historical events.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 06:24:40 pm »

Pages: [1] 2