Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alarm/Siege Alerts  (Read 1887 times)

NWTreeOctopus

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Alarm/Siege Alerts
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:56:27 am »

I would love to see some sort of alarm system (bells hooked to a lever, somebody with a horn-blowing duty if they see invaders, etc) that would cause all non-military dwarves to cancel their labors (except maybe siege operators?) and run to a designated area and prevent them from merrily running into the aftermath of battle/traps to collect a fallen comrade's ≡Silk Sock≡.  I know you can draft your entire force and send them somewhere that way, but I think that it would be more appropriate for them to suffer a negative thought based on "Being Confined Due to a Siege" or something of that nature.

Sorry if this has been suggested before; I did a few forum searches and the more recent things seemed to be from quite awhile back and not quite what I was thinking. 

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm/Siege Alerts
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:43:39 am »

Sounds cool.  Lots of RTSs implement something like a town bell, and a more-complicated-but-related concept would be welcome.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

NWTreeOctopus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:41:41 pm »

Oh, this is already available to be voted for:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php

Sorry for the excess post then.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 03:04:06 pm »

The game currently has the best Alarm system in the game!

Leashed Dogs!

Trust me they work and can even kill some enemies.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:13:39 pm »

Leashed Dogs!

Not what this discussion is about.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 10:10:53 pm »

Leashed Dogs!

Not what this discussion is about.

Nope still works!

Especially for the many ways in which animals have been used.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:23:48 pm »

Seems relatively frivolous to ring the bell every time an enemy approaches. It'd need several settings, such as calling anyone out in the wilderness into safety

Personally I don't see it needed unless we get a night cycle

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 10:48:26 pm »

Seems relatively frivolous to ring the bell every time an enemy approaches. It'd need several settings, such as calling anyone out in the wilderness into safety

Personally I don't see it needed unless we get a night cycle

Enemies and women could wear bells to warn people of their presence.

Heck women with rings on their fingers could have bells on their toes so they will have music wherever they go!

Joke aside, highly audiable enemies could be interesting if they are particularly dangerous.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:04:04 am »

Wouldnt there be no message on your screen until the dwarf rings the town bell? You would still be able to see them but you wouldnt be notified about them until the alarm is sounded.

NWTreeOctopus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 01:11:32 pm »

I think some of you are missing the point... I am meaning you should be able to put your fort into an emergency state in which all the civilians will flee to a certain area (and maybe all the off duty soldiers will come on duty?).  The alarm bell isn't necessarily something that would be triggered by a trap or whatever (though it certainly could be).  I just don't want to draft everybody into the military to keep them in line during a siege.

Nakomys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 04:28:26 pm »

I think some of you are missing the point... I am meaning you should be able to put your fort into an emergency state in which all the civilians will flee to a certain area (and maybe all the off duty soldiers will come on duty?).  The alarm bell isn't necessarily something that would be triggered by a trap or whatever (though it certainly could be).  I just don't want to draft everybody into the military to keep them in line during a siege.

I'm pretty sure you can (mostly) accomplish this using the (o)rders menu, under (i): Dwarves can go Outdoors. It just doesn't activate off-duty soldiers.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 07:33:22 pm »

What would be nice is when your alarms go off it WAKES YOUR BLOODY SLEEPING MILITARY UP!

That is all.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

NWTreeOctopus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 12:16:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can (mostly) accomplish this using the (o)rders menu, under (i): Dwarves can go Outdoors. It just doesn't activate off-duty soldiers.

That's all well and good if everything is outside.  Keeping them indoors doesn't make it so they won't charge down my trap corridor to remove the bodies jamming them up though.  I just find it cumbersome to have to turn off everybody's cleaning labor because of a siege.  Being able to easily confine all civilians to their rooms or some designated area would be great.  Honestly though, I'd be fine if the invaders wouldn't all give up trying to come forward because of a locked (forbidden) door.  And yes, we NEED a way to wake up sleeping soldiers.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »

And yes, we NEED a way to wake up sleeping soldiers.

I remember hearing about some kind of a solution to this somewhere. I think it involves something like a pressure plate hooked up to a support, which is holding up a single constructed floor tile. The pressure plate is in a convenient location for a siege.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 02:48:20 pm »

That's all well and good if everything is outside.  Keeping them indoors doesn't make it so they won't charge down my trap corridor to remove the bodies jamming them up though.  I just find it cumbersome to have to turn off everybody's cleaning labor because of a siege.  Being able to easily confine all civilians to their rooms or some designated area would be great.  Honestly though, I'd be fine if the invaders wouldn't all give up trying to come forward because of a locked (forbidden) door.  And yes, we NEED a way to wake up sleeping soldiers.
This probably will be solved by the burrows arc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 03:48:46 pm by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: [1] 2