Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A new profession, servants.  (Read 1446 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A new profession, servants.
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:19:24 am »

Some nobles of might sometimes require clerks, housekeepers and private cooks etc. IT would be like a mandate except it would require dwarves with that profession. Unskilled dwarves would often screw their jobs up or go ballistic at their employer and skilled dwarves would do things accurately and quickly.

Jakkarra

Re: A new profession, servants.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:20:29 pm »

as long as crafters can acquire a personal hauler too, yeah.

this would be used to haul materials to the shop.

(my idea was already suggested, i know.)

love, jakkarra

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 02:03:54 pm »

Hm not a bad idea actually...just a note: Imho this suggestion should be implemented only, when/if we gonna have a slavery system. Slaves could be used as servants.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 02:36:24 pm »

I support this idea but would dwarfs really prefer slavery?

Maybe if you decided to go the way of slavery than it would cause strains on diplomatic stands on other civs.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Jakkarra

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:40:33 pm »

Maybe if you decided to go the way of slavery than it would cause strains on diplomatic stands on other civs.

um, these are dwarves, the people who use elves as test subjects for drowning chambers, the people who use whip traps to flay goblins alive, and then encase them in obsidian.

i somehow don't think slavery is below them.

same with Diplomatic relations. the elves arent any better, eating sentient beings.

love, jakkarra

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:02:18 pm »

Really, the question of slavery will (and should be) handled by the Civ ethics. So slavery should be implemented. Whether or not Vanilla DF dwarves are OK with it is completely up to Toady. Currently Dwarves have [ETHIC:SLAVERY:PUNISH_CAPITAL], so I'm thinking it's a resounding NO for him.

However, Goblins and Humans will be ok with Slavery, and of course any modded in Races can use them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 05:34:58 pm »

PAID servants, however, would be more like having a butler or a maid. They may get room and board from a noble, and in exchange bring them whatever they want. It's their JOB. The king definitely should have servants, at least. Servants can also include paid personal cooks and the like, not just menial labor like scrubbing the floors.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:26:38 pm »

Legendary dwarves should definitely get lackeys. Nobles requiring servants would be a pretty cool addition too. The king at least should come with some of his own servants. Make them minor nobles that require rooms for extra fun. 'Royal Cook,' 'Royal Tailor' and so on. They'd only do work for the king, not other fortress tasks.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:36:24 pm »

What about clans or gangs, could those be implemented?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:43:44 pm »

I like this idea, their have also been similar suggestions that the Royal Guards should be individually assignable to Nobles which they would then follow and guard individually as personal Body Guards.  Servants are essentially the same thing but on a labor level.  I'd doupt they need to have titles at first but perhaps in the future that would be possible.  They might be tricky to program because of all the interactions necessary.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 08:56:34 pm »

I like this idea, their have also been similar suggestions that the Royal Guards should be individually assignable to Nobles which they would then follow and guard individually as personal Body Guards.  Servants are essentially the same thing but on a labor level.  I'd doupt they need to have titles at first but perhaps in the future that would be possible.  They might be tricky to program because of all the interactions necessary.
This, if I can have them kill the noble.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 10:41:54 pm »

um, these are dwarves, the people who use elves as test subjects for drowning chambers, the people who use whip traps to flay goblins alive, and then encase them in obsidian.

i somehow don't think slavery is below them.

same with Diplomatic relations. the elves arent any better, eating sentient beings.

love, jakkarra

Players attributing tired age old stereotypes and their own behavior to the dwarves is character derailment if anything. They are of course free to change their ethics but canon remains the same

Personally I don't like dwarves having dedicated servants beyond the occasional apprentice. Perhaps a golem or two for the king. Hard to say seeing as how un-royal the royalty are now, mingling with soap makers
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:43:51 pm by Pilsu »

Jakkarra

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:45:09 am »

Players attributing tired age old stereotypes and their own behavior to the dwarves is character derailment if anything. They are of course free to change their ethics but canon remains the same

Cripes!!

ive been rumbled!

love, jakkarra

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 01:16:03 pm »

Why not? I mean...it's quite common, that a dwarf, who lost all of his children in a siege is ecstatic...regardless of the tragic events. Do you think that these dwarves would care about slavery?  ;D

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 01:57:09 pm »

Cripes!!

ive been rumbled!

love, jakkarra

Avast!  Have at your dorf-opocentric philosophies!
Computer says 'No'.
Pages: [1] 2