Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Human: Play Now! (Contains Spoilers) <World uploaded>  (Read 5019 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Human: Play Now! (Contains Spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 01:25:11 pm »

Been trying out the Play Now a bit.  So far I've started in an Orc tower, and a Snakeman retreat.  I find it interesting that even though a human, you're given a name that is in their language.  I also think I need to nerf the Catoplebas I added to my personal mod, based on the Deadly Wilds version (For all intents and purposes: fire cows.), because those things are pretty much insta-death.  Don't even get the chance to run.

I myself would never be dedicated enough to go about putting up a challenge like this, especially since I know the instant I get them something terrible would happen and all that work would be done for.  Nontheless, I'd love to see where you go with this, Raz.

(For anyone interested: flathead arrows work but have wonky crit effects, and for some reason the game likes starting you with those.  Fire arrows seem to work but I've only managed to land one shot before dying; caused a blistering wound.  Bodkins work well, but they're basically just regular arrows that do 60 damage and have a slightly higher crit-rate.  Haven't managed testing broadhead at all yet.)
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 02:14:20 pm »

Yeah. You'd still have to A) Kill somebody to obtain a sock/burnable corpse or B) make it alive to the nearest human town. Plus, I didn't want to use any exploits such as stealing.

If you guys want I can host the save. :) I still have the world from right after the abandoning.
Yeah, but you could just hack the leg off a rogue muskox and use that (embarrassingly, in one adventure mode, I nearly got killed by a muskox.  I was expecting it to be friendly, but it randomly hit me to the floor.  I attacked it back, but got the "Are you sure you want to attack?" message, which meant for some reason my friends didn't help (although they didn't turn against me).  I eventually wounded it and crawled off).

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 02:41:32 pm »

This thread really makes me want to start a new adventurer focused fortress......with ridiculously complex traps of course.

One idea; the death elevator. 
1. adventurer pulls level, starting the sequence
2.adventurer gets in cage trap
3.cage trap falls 100z levels to bottom
4.on bottom, fire burns the cage trap off of the adventurer
5.player pulls new lever that unleashes a caged insane multichampion dwarf and opens the escape
6.fun?/profit!

Is this possible?
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 03:04:27 pm »

No.  Gotta replace the cage trap- doors or floodgates to block them in could work - the only question is how do you cushion the adventurer's fall? (The only idea I've got is to make each z-level fall one at a time lol)
But you should check out these intrepid builders making multiple forts in one worldgen for adventurers to die in explore:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25429.0

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2009, 03:40:02 pm »

I saw it, but I'm not sure if it has anything quite as, lets face it, worth it than Raz's trials thing.

I mean, theres a FULL set of Adamantine equipment in it, along with the chance to fight all sorts of demons. Sounds like fun to me.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 08:27:42 am »

Okay, I've gone a bit overboard with decorations (and some mechanics) :P. Have to go to bed now, got work tomorrow. I'll definately finish it tomorrow though.

Edit: I made the fall 4 z-levels, with a maze afterwards to compensate for the traps and so you can't just [T]ravel your way out of there to instantly heal your wounds after you take the fall. I did this because I want adventurers to be at least Extremely Tough. Same goes for agility.

Instead of pressure plates I placed levers. I also sealed in the equipment between adamantine walls. I'm pretty proud of the mechanic that releases the equipment. :)

Also might add a hammer, crossbow, spear, flail and bow later on. You'll have to choose between them, the others will be lost forever.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:39:33 am by Raz »
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 03:13:18 pm »

How will we know (presumably this is what you'll do) which chamber seals what, or anything at all once we get there? Are you still releasing magma? Why do we have to choose between one weapon? How will you be able to stop us from choosing more than the one weapon? Are you still going to make it possible to completely seal the fort?

Because it just seems like to many variables, and it wouldn't be very fun if, having 'fun' meant that you wouldn't be able to have 'fun' in that fort again.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2009, 03:28:40 pm »

I'm guessing there's a chamber with each of the weapons in.  Levers, each next to the appropriate gate.  Pull one, and it opens, but the others are all consumed by magma, never to be seen again.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2009, 09:20:52 pm »

Correct. In the final version the weapons will be placed on pillars 1z-level above you so you can see what weapon it is. Take your pick, pull the lever next to the pillar and you'll get access to the weapon. Indeed, it involves (optionally, a lot of) magma but I won't spoil the rest (although you can probably guess by now). :P

I'm going with this sytem because I want the weapon to be special to the player, i.e. if you lose it you can't just pull out another adamantine weapon. But for the first release of today, only 1 weapon.

And yeah, I'll add in a way later on to seal in the demons and render the entire fortress 'inaccessible'.

I don't think I'll manage to finish that draining system for the Trial of Agility by today though, so just make a backup save if you somehow manage to fail (I made it rather easy).

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 12:17:19 pm »

Uh, are you using lever activated doors at all? Because I just remembered that adventurers can bash in doors that are locked or lever activated.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2009, 01:27:48 am »

Okay, first 'version' of the fort is finished. It should be quite easily beatable, as I succumbed to a goblin invasion, and they're all friendly.

http://files.filefront.com/13799129

I'll post instructions etc later!

Edit: Oh, and when you open the second floodgate leading to the third trial, do not pull the lever in the room next to the bridge over the magma yet. Well, you can, but I advice you to save your game before doing so. :P
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 02:08:06 am by Raz »

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human: Play Now! (Contains Spoilers) <World uploaded>
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2009, 12:00:31 pm »

Sweet, I'm doing play now right now.

Edit: What mods are you using?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:46:46 pm by nichaey »
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2009, 12:59:22 pm »

I'm interested by this, but in all honesty I don't think I even need the armor. I mean look at this:

The Dragon breathes fire!
You stab The Dragon in the upper body with your ð®*Iron pike*¯ð!
It is broken!
The Dragon's right lung has been pierced!
The Dragon's left lung has been pierced!
The Dragon's heart has been pierced!
The Dragon's liver has been badly pierced!
The Dragon's upper spine has been badly pierced!
The Dragon gives in to pain.
The Dragon falls over.
You stab The Dragon in the upper body with your ð®*Iron pike*¯ð!
It is pierced through completely!
The ð®*Iron pike*¯ð has lodged firmly in the wound!
Sirab Zirilnelas, Dragon has been struck down.

Dragon dead in 2 turns.

Why do I need stronger things again?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2009, 01:05:34 pm »

Novice crossbowman.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2009, 01:40:10 pm »

Actually, with legendary wrestling and shield skills I can just charge a whole cluster of archers and never get hit.

That combined with Gáe Bulg, my spear, means I've never actually had a problem with archers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5