Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Human: Play Now! (Contains Spoilers) <World uploaded>  (Read 5017 times)

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human: Play Now! (Contains Spoilers) <World uploaded>
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:12:34 am »

As you all might know, the ‘Human: Play Now!’ embark option in Adventure mode means starting out as a human without any skills or equipment whatsoever, and you are dropped either in one of your abandoned fortresses, or in the middle of nowhere.

And boy, it is hard.

So, I set out a goal for myself to create a legendary adventurer from scratch, with the ultimate goal being ridding the world of elves and ultimately orcs.

To assist me in this task (and to add an extra RP element), I started a human fortress for the sole purpose of creating masterwork adamantine armour and weaponry.

After twenty years in the fort, the smiths finally managed to create one full set of masterwork adamantine equipment; a two-handed sword, shield, suit of platemail, suit of chainmail, greaves, helmet, cap, pair of gauntlets and pair of high boots were made.
The equipment was placed in two platinum bins in the meeting hall, and the fortress abandoned, but not before ‘accidently’ releasing the horrors from the deep – tentacle demons.
The first adventurer to rise to legendary status in at least one combat skill may lay claim to this equipment, provided they defeat the demons infesting the fortress’ meeting hall.

Okay, enough for preparations, embark!

So, my first adventurer started out in my abandoned fortress. I travelled out of it and saw a huge migrant wave coming from it, all headed for the nearest city. Upon closer inspection these were indeed the very humans that populated my fortress before. I like to imagine they are migrating because of the demon infestation.

Time for some ass kicking now! :P

. . .

My first encounter was a pack of wolves. I lasted maybe 2 turns before I got torn to shreds.

New adventurer.

First encounter, pack of wolves. Insta-death.

New adventurer, pack of wolves. You have been struck down. Repeat *15

I was getting pretty frustrated now, because I couldn’t even make it to the nearest town without getting ambushed by a pack of wolves each time. Time to try a different method.
The one time I got lucky and didn’t start in the middle of the pack, I made a run for it. I ran maybe a full region tile before I finally had the chance to sneak behind a tree. The wolves approached tree, I set it on fire and watched them burn. Three out of six wolves quickly degenerated into a heap of wolf bones [5]. I took a stack in each hand and threw them at the remaining wolves until they all were gravely injured. It was only then that I took my opportunity and wrestled them to death, keeping them alive as long as possible.

Lit up the corpses, took the wolf bones. Kept roaming and killing wolves and all sorts of wildlife. Never knew those wolf bones made such great clubs! In the meanwhile I probably got up to around proficient in wrestling, ambushing and throwing, and finally gained some agility, strength and toughness without dying. Nice. But I was still naked and in need of clothes! :P

Being the savage that I RP as, I headed over to a capital forest retreat to pick on some lone elves. I [T]ravelled in and out a couple of times til I had the chance to go to a ‘creature’.

Boy, I’d pay money to see the look on that stray elf’s face when he got hit by a bear bone in the face out of the blue. And another. And another.
I can just imagine the adventurer being an extremely aggressive, foam mouthing, naked savage after how I bashed him into unconsciousness in only half a dozen turns, and ripping off his clothes and trying them on (I forgot they wouldn’t fit).

When I noticed there was another stray elf coming at me just before I wanted to burn the other, all sorts of crazy ideas came into my mind.
“Shall I strip them, burn one’s corps and beat the other to death with his friend’s hot bones?”
In the end I just strangled them and burned them though (and took their precious elf bones [7]!) ;D .

Time to check out some cities and see if I can get some followers and commit some serious genocide.

On my way back the nearest human town, I was ambushed just 1 tile before my destination by dire wolves. Crap. I decided to run for it, towards the human town. After a couple of minutes of running I came across a patrolling archer guard, who opened fire on the wolves. He got a few criticals on them, but they still tore him apart (I nerfed archery down to 30 damage, works wonders). I didn’t care, as it gave me enough time to hide and throw and wrestle the injured ones to death. Plus, it gave me a copper bow with 25 iron arrows, and set of clothes and leather armour. Thank you dire wolves! :P

Now that I had around 1400 skill in wrestling, I quite easily managed to get three followers to join me on my quest; an archer, swordsman and pikeman. We headed back to the forest retreat whose elf peasants I had killed. What followed, I can only describe as badass.

We started out at the edge of the forest retreat, and many elves immediately started to run towards us. We made a run towards the centre, where the leader was. The archer and I fired at everything that moved, incapacitating targets before they had the chance to close in. The swordsman was hacking off limbs left and right, and the pikeman twisted his pike around in gut after gut.

As we pushed on towards the centre, they started to come from all sides. I saw the druid and fired a couple of arrows at him. My companion archer was the badass who mortally wounded him though. It was satisfying to see him crawl away, leaving a trail of blood. A small morale victory for us.

In the meantime, while the elf corpses, blood, vomit and litter started to dominate the screen, the influx of elves into the battle didn’t seem to decrease. My swordsman was nearly overwhelmed and my pikeman was retreating because of a leg wound. My archer, whom had run out of arrows already, was enraged and fighting off 4 different elves with his iron bow. I fired as many arrows as I could into both groups, until I could safely take them on in melee. I killed the bowman’s attackers, but not before they broke both his arms. By the time I got to the swordsman, he was dead already. I shot and killed the elf standing on his tile, and took his iron equipment. Score! Playtime is over. >:(

I killed off the remaining elves surrounding the swordsman’s corpse, and ran to the aid of the pikeman. I must have killed over fifteen of the beasts while protecting him. The archer, in the meanwhile was biting and tearing off elf chunks to no avail – he was killed. I was getting tired, so I travelled the heck out of there as soon as I had the chance.

When I checked if the pikeman was following me, I realized that I’d actually left him behind after all that trouble I went through. I went back to find him, assuming he’d be dead, but instead got messages of him punching the shit out of elf colon (he lost his pike at one point). When I found him I told him to follow me again, and we rounded up the remaining elves and burned everything of the forest retreat. Or should I say abandoned ruin. Oh, and he’s a wrestler now. Sweet.

I’ll update this thread further as I play.

So.. got kinda carried away there. :P Have any of you guys ever attempted to play as a ‘Human: Play Now!’?  Have you ever made it past getting ripped apart by rabid wolves?

Download the world here
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 02:08:38 am by Raz »
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
Re: Human: Play Now! (Contains Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 01:20:40 am »

The Play Now! thing is something I will do when adventurers can get all the skills dwarves in fortress mode can get. So you'd be using those wolves' skins to make a backpack and leather armor, and the bones and some stone for an axe.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 01:38:31 am »

I've survived for a little while in Play now

throw rocks like your life depends on it

because it really does

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:06:00 am »

I want that save. SO I CAN TAKE ON THE TENTACLE DEMON CHALLENGE!

No that THAT challenge. The one where you Lets Play a Humie and kill Elves until your Multi-Legendary and can kill Daemons from the deep to obtain Uber Equipment in which you can use to complete the worlds final genocide.

AND THEN HUNT DOWN THE REMAINING MEGA-BEASTS. Well that might be easier if you let the humans live a little longer until your done, and THEN kill them all.

There you go. You have a completely wild and savage world with no sentient life forms. And than the Dire Wolves gain intelligence and start their own empire!

Except the lone human. No, he makes a castle made of elf bones. And it shall be glorious.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:02:19 am »

Play now is pretty fun.  Fun in the losing is fun way and the more generic fun way.  You end up caring for them more when they are successful than just another one of 30 proficient swordsmen this world has seen.

How long did it take you to fire that bow unskilled?  I would imagine you may have almost been better off just taking the arrows out of your quiver and stabbing stuff with them with yer wrestling skill.

P.S. Yes you stab enemies with the STACK not a single arrow.  Funny mental image.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:24:44 pm »

Play now is pretty fun.  Fun in the losing is fun way and the more generic fun way.  You end up caring for them more when they are successful than just another one of 30 proficient swordsmen this world has seen.

How long did it take you to fire that bow unskilled?  I would imagine you may have almost been better off just taking the arrows out of your quiver and stabbing stuff with them with yer wrestling skill.

P.S. Yes you stab enemies with the STACK not a single arrow.  Funny mental image.

ARROW'D!

The whole notion of throwing arrows to kill is pretty wicked.  Like, superhero stuff.

POWER GOAL:  Urist McParker is bitten by a radioactive Giant Cave Spider and gains Legendary Climber, Legendary Precognition, and Legendary Webslinger.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 03:26:02 pm »

You mean Expert Precognition, Adept Climber, and [normal] webslinger?  He can now skill those up.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 11:54:09 pm »

Exactly! Getting equipment without resorting to exploits is also much more satisfying in this mode. :)

How long did it take you to fire that bow unskilled?
God, ages. There were like 5 pages of combat messages with 15ish combatants everytime I shot. I only had a stack of 20 arrows and I didn't want to waste them on target practice. Well, technically I did.

I would imagine you may have almost been better off just taking the arrows out of your quiver and stabbing stuff with them with yer wrestling skill.
Indeed. I didn't want to take my chances with them though. I'd rather take them on in melee when they're already severely wounded. :P

Crazyness. I played some more yesterday, and was trying to figure out why all the elves in this one huge civ were using steel equipment. So I looked them up in Legends mode and apparently the dwarves took over a load of forest retreats and the elves outbred them over the course of 600 years. (And apparently I destroyed a site that belongs to a dwarven civ, whoops.)
This means I now have a morally justifiable way to obtain steel weaponry. :D

Given that I actually manage to defeat them, that is. I assaulted this one forest retreat with about 8 companions, before I was aware they had access to steel equipment. We had our asses handed over to us big time, and I had to savescum. Damn cunning elves, they're adapting! I bet they foresaw this somewhere in worldgen!

Turns out they might make some worthy adversaries after all. The adamantine gear might not be so superfluous either.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:57:26 pm by Raz »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:25:02 am »

"So I was playing Dire-Wolf-Fortress and this goddamn human megabeast comes out of nowhere and completely destroy's my fort, throwing bones and setting corpses on fire. Oh man."

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:04 am »

"So I was playing Dire-Wolf-Fortress and this goddamn human megabeast comes out of nowhere and completely destroy's my fort, throwing bones and setting corpses on fire. Oh man."

Somebody, makes a body for this NOW!  ;D
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:02:56 am »

*The eyes are empty, as Dorten imagines the pictures...*
Grrrrglrlgh... Must... get... the save...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 03:58:49 pm »

It would be a lot easier if you simply used !!socks!!.  That would get you equipment almost immediately, although it's basically cheating.

Theft is also an option, as long as you're prepared to leave that area.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 06:32:27 pm »

Yeah. You'd still have to A) Kill somebody to obtain a sock/burnable corpse or B) make it alive to the nearest human town. Plus, I didn't want to use any exploits such as stealing.

If you guys want I can host the save. :) I still have the world from right after the abandoning.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 06:55:42 pm »

DO WANT.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 07:57:51 pm »

Throw the save on the DFFD and post the link in this thread.  I want that save, if only because it sounds fun and I am not done with my dwarf fortress in an Orc infested world.  (Word to the wise: Orcs kill things very effectively.  That there are any dwarf civs left after 1050 years of worldgen is a miracle.)
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5