Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starvation  (Read 526 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starvation
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:06:51 pm »

I've seen many a fortress crumble but nothing cuts you like watching your lil' dwarfies starve. Today, my beautiful fort was off to a quick start; we had to be quick; our orc mod sometimes sent sieges of up to 20 massive orcs by first summer. We hadn't started planting yet but we had fertile soil and a ton of turtle meat and booze from the caravan, as well as a dedicated fisherdwarf. The fisherdwarf sadly met his end when pursuing a fire imp into a magma filled channel, but I was confident that we could remain well fed until immigration. Then; disaster.
Tempting fire imp meat ignited the booze pile, which unfortunately was shared with the plants, and most unfortunately, the seed pile. The end result was one dead carpenter and, most unfortunately, only one XXplump helmut spawnXX (mangled by the fire I suppose). Heroic dwarves pulled a few barrels of rum from the pyrocade but that was about this.
Whoops.
Anyways, if we're lucky maybe some deer will show up and one of my boys will learn to hunt. Or maybe the caravan will come. But already, I'm seeing the telltale signs.
Urist McDwarf Cancels Hunt: Hunting vermin.
Uh oh.

I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starvation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:55:00 pm »

Start gathering plants. Some are immediately edible and you can start planting the seeds they leave behind.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:33:25 am »

Plants idea is safest, next could possibly be fishing, depends on fish life.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:40:39 am »

I'd have to agree with the emergency plant gathering if you have any. Also make another fisherdorf.

Honestly though I have no other solutions as I've never had a hunger problem as I constantly watch my food/booze stocks and start production when any drops below my # of dorfs, and food is usually on constant grow with no plots taking a break to grow but they are in a cycle where there's almost always something ready to pick.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:46:43 am »

Heroic dwarves pulled a few barrels of rum from the pyrocade

Well, at least they have their priorities straight.

If speed is the issue, I've had better luck with hunting with military, set on "harrass wildlife" (in the <m>ilitary menu, under <v>iew squad.)  With crossbow(s), it's a snap, and if all you have are weapons (or even with wrestlers, if the prey isn't too surly), you can use 3 of them to corner them and nail'em, unless they're real speedy.  Takes some micromanagement, but meat is a good thing.

If the prey is close, and esp if you have crossbows, that way. If there are plants right outside, start foraging. Or both.