Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's with all the naked Giants?  (Read 1278 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
What's with all the naked Giants?
« on: May 17, 2009, 10:36:32 pm »

I think it would be nice if certain wild creatures would appear with appropriate equipment in the way of weapons and even armour/clothing. The reason I suggest this is that currently we have creatures such as giants who have no clubs and have no clothing made from the hides of their victims and this doesn't seem right to me. As it stands there are a fair number of vanilla creatures that could and would wield weapons given the chance and a number of those who shouldn't really be walking around naked. If there needs to be an explanation for where this equipment comes from then I have two suggested methods.

The first method relates somewhat to adventurers having fortress skills idea. If as a giant I feel the need to bash things with something other than my fists then breaking an appropriate sized branch from a tree would do for a makeshift club and after I made some kills with it I could make a simple loincloth from the hides of my victims. Alternatively a large bone might fill a similar role to the branch. I like the idea of a creature wearing his prey.

The second method wouldn't necessarily apply to just wild creatures. If as a giant I stand admiring the swordsman I just crushed and wonder in which update bonemeal will become usable to make bread I decide that I like the look of his sword and go to find someone else to try it on and if that victim has something better at killing I might then swap.

In the creature raws there would need to be tokens that cause creatures to make things out of prey and specify what kind of things should be made so that you get giants wearing loincloths and not three-piece-suits or thongs(unless that's what you want). There could even be tokens that give certain creatures a bias towards looting certain types of item so giants tend to turn up wielding mainly bludgeoning weapons for example.

Some possible tokens based on the reactions tokens.

For crafting:
Code: [Select]
[CRAFT:<ITEM_TOKEN>:<ITEM_SUBTYPE>:<MATGLOSS_TOKEN>:<MATGLOSS_SUBTYPE>]
So
[CRAFT:PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LOINCLOTH:LEATHER:NO_MATGLOSS]Would let him make loincloths from any leather.

For looting:
[LOOT:<ITEM_TOKEN>:<ITEM_SUBTYPE>:<MATGLOSS_TOKEN>:<MATGLOSS_SUBTYPE>]So
[LOOT:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_WAR:NO_MATGLOSS:NONE]Would get him looting corpses for war hammers of any material possible. Or
[LOOT:WEAPON:NONE:NO_MATGLOSS:NONE]Would get him looting any weapons he can get his hands on.

There are probably better possible tokens but its what jumped to mind when I had the idea. I know Toady is going to arm the subterranean creatures by giving them special entities but it seems that's going to be a special situation type fix and not something that applies the same as my suggestion.

Thoughts?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's with all the naked Giants?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:46:16 pm »

A loincloth would interfere with their choice of makeshift weapon

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break