Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Possible Feature: Liberal Road Trips  (Read 2167 times)

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible Feature: Liberal Road Trips
« on: May 17, 2009, 10:24:12 pm »

Just when I had a solid strategy for beating 3.18, another one comes out!  While I'm fussing with that (and getting my founder's head repeatedly blown off by security guards while trying to steal cloth to make police uniforms; clearly no training doctrine of "continuum of force" in the LCS world!), a notion crossed my mind for a possible feature:

The Liberal Road Trip!

The core idea being that not everything that you need/want to do for the revolution is really achievable within the city limits, no matter how great the city.  (Los Angeles, CA, or New York, NY, we're getting there, but Denver, CO?  I love my town but I don't see a revolution here affecting the country).  Now, including the somewhat unlikely but revolutionarily necessary things on the outskirts of the city is an excellent start (nuclear plants, intelligence headquarters), but I think this can go a bit further.

This ought to be more than just "one more zone for site actions, that doesn't just take a car but gas money and an extra day or two to pull off", though.  I mean, that would be a decent implementation under the current framework, but pretty soon all of your site actions would be in the DC area, and eventually there's a question of why you don't just get a safehouse there...

My suggestion?  Less like standard site actions and more like "missions"; scenarios which arise under specific circumstances and permit the opportunity to dispatch a squad to a remote location to pull off a dangerous mission.  These would put the squad far away from any assistance, and if they went south, would either result in intense firefights or multi-state car chases (bail out and run!  Jack a new car!  Switch license plates!  Hide in the forest!  Jack another new car!  Give up and get in a shootout with the pigs and their choplifters!) for the survivors.  Corresponding rewards could be great--a very highly ranked sleeper, the chance to knock off or even kidnap a high level official, or a decisive and lasting blow on issue.  Once you actually got the squad there (after organizing a vehicle, supplies for the raid, the squad, and gas/motel/campground money), it would play out like a site action.

Some possibilities I thought of for possible road trips...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think this would be an interesting feature to add to the game, and give the LCS some chance to influence the politics of the country in addition to the public opinion on the issues.  Plus, if people get in over their heads too early, it offers some more chances for Fun/Losing!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Feature: Liberal Road Trips
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:32:21 pm »

The Pope is planning to visit [LOCATION] at [TIME].  Normally, we might not care, but our sleepers have warned us that {the CCS/a call-in on the AM radio show/a misguided fellow traveller/an intelligence agency/a vengeful corporation} intends to assassinate him and frame us for the deed!  As Conservative as the old coot is, the public backlash would be immense if we allowed this to happen.
A possible "challenge" mission/road trip that would trigger if the LCS was doing just too well.

Conservative? Con-conservative? The Pope is Catholic, and Catholics usually are Liberals! The Catholic Church may offically be conservative on certain social issues, but that's why we need to kidnap the Pope and enlighten him into changing the offical position on social issues to match the views of the Catholic laypeople.

Seriously, I think it's a good idea. I'm trying to see how it work though. Hm.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:37:11 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:41:58 pm »

I love this idea. It could be a great mid-game to late-game feature.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:50:10 pm »

The option would have to be in all caps as in-
ROAD TRIP!!!!
- so as to fully enjoy the cliche.
So yeah, I'm very much in favor.

Might I also suggest that there be an option of a spirit journey. Takes 3-4 days and maybe $150 in drugs and bare bones nutrition supply. Effects could be random skill gain, maybe juice, maybe comes back with less health, maybe a boost to street sense because of increased knowledge about the product your pushing. Effects could be played with. If you have enough vision quests you could get a spirit animal.

Edit: Goddamn BURNING MAN! Maybe in line with liberal convention idea, but still, it doesn't get much more liberal.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:52:04 pm »

Conservative? Con-conservative? The Pope is Catholic, and Catholics usually are Liberals!

Oh, certainly.  However, plenty of typical LCS members, assuming they know the current pope's biography at all, are going to keep coming back to two particular points:
  • Former Hitler Youth (not his fault, of course, he was born in Germany at a point where membership was mandatory)
  • Former head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith (formerly known as the Inquisition)
--which isn't exactly reassuring.

However, the text could easily be reworded, since the game is generally designed to not assume historical/real-world figures for various offices:
"The Pope is planning to visit [LOCATION] at [TIME].  Normally, we might not care, but our sleepers have warned us that {the CCS/a call-in on the AM radio show/a misguided fellow traveller/an intelligence agency/a vengeful corporation} intends to assassinate him and frame us for the deed!  No matter his politics, the public backlash would be immense if this were to happen.  We could stop the assassin--or place the Pope in protective custody until the threat is passed, and discuss various matters of theology and politics."

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:59:27 pm »

And by put the Pope into protective custody, you mean kidnapping him and turning him into a sleeper.

Or beating him to death. Knowing the playerbase of this game, starvation might be thrown in too.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:25:20 am »

To death? No. I'd keep him alive for the entirety of the game. Slowly draining the life out of him. Mwahahahahahahahah.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 12:42:49 am »

And by put the Pope into protective custody, you mean kidnapping him and turning him into a sleeper.

Or beating him to death. Knowing the playerbase of this game, starvation might be thrown in too.

Sleeper?  Nah, he's gonna be a full-fledged member of the LCS!  Wonder how he's do on the Mic at the AM Radio Station?

Here's how the squad battle afterwords would work:
Da Pope: I'm Da Pope!
Security Guard is Catholic!
Da Pope: Bye.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 04:55:29 am »

I like this a lot more than the "National LCS" idea I brought up maybe a month or two ago. I think it gives greater opportunity for flavorful role-playing in the spirit of the game, and I think it will make for a more focused and dynamic gameplay.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 05:54:30 am »

The Pope should turn into The Anti-Pope upon enlightenment.
!!&!!

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:50:00 am »

Pope schmope. If the game is in USA, you should have heads of radically right-wing churches you could mess with.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:57:25 am »

Seconded.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 01:06:17 pm »

It would avoid the moral delimma of the LCS toturing a person who is against the death penalty.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 02:49:12 pm »

I like this a lot more than the "National LCS" idea I brought up maybe a month or two ago. I think it gives greater opportunity for flavorful role-playing in the spirit of the game, and I think it will make for a more focused and dynamic gameplay.

Storyline based side trips would definitely contain liberal amounts of awesome.  But IMHO, the National LCS idea is a keeper and there's room for both of these ideas.  Side trips are to special locations and communities which would shouldn't noramally be available to travel to in any city.  On the other hand, the National LCS represents the broader political struggle as many cities that can be traveled to normally.  National LCS travel could thus be simple and mundane while special trip encounters are saved for special missions.  What the National LCS offers that special trips don't is local flavor, endgame challenges and a longer game. 
So the National LCS could make it possible to have easier starting areas (liberal enclaves like San Fransisco or Hartford) for the starting game and more dangerous areas to keep the game tough later.  And there could be cool local character appearances.  For instance in Boston the priests are liberal and there's lots of liberal doctors/nurses/teachers/gym teachers while there are gun owning hicks everywhere in Houston (or some Texas city), programmers in Seattle, actors in L.A./NY and so forth.  The system might not need to be as elaborate as this, but IMO there are too many possibilities for the National LCS to pass on the idea.

Looking at the side missions proposed so far, they seem to all represent positive opportunities.  While there should be opportunity events, I think there should also be events to prevent bad stuff.  There could be conservative town halls, astroturf events (tea parties, etc.), speeches by celebrities, summits to discuss issues and so forth.  Disrupting these events with a rampage, protests, fire alarm, etc, might not generate much positive news but it throws a wrench in the conservative storyline.

Also, slightly easter-eggy suggestion for a mission of the opportunity sort:
Hated Arch Conservative Defense Secretary <name> has a private getaway called Mount Misery, a private fortress in the backlands of Maryland.  One of our sleepers has tipped us off that he's planning to spend two days at Mount Misery starting (date)...
((To get this joke, I suggest googling Donald Rumsfield and Mount Misery.))
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 10:50:43 am »

I love this idea!  :)

How about this idea:

A prominent and charismatic arch conservative politician is to appear on  national television next week. The masses must be protected from his conservative lies (from easiest to hardest).

Options:

*Sneak in the building and cut the power during the show.
*Sneak in an LCS "guest speaker", by stealth, force or by enlightening the host
* Assassinate the politician at his hotel (low profile) or on the show (high profile)
*The politician will be spending a week at the hotel before the show, enlighten him.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:06:47 am by Oksbad »
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.
Pages: [1] 2