Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Elves have Weather control????  (Read 2934 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Elves have Weather control????
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:45:30 pm »

I've been generating a world to go to the year 10,000 just to see what the year 10,000 like, but something I've noticed, it seems that every 100 years THE ENTIRE MAP freezes over, including Deserts. But I've also noticed that the elves located nicely by a glacier, stay the normal Temperate/tropical color, and NEVER have snow or even cold weather, after 3000 years this happens every 100, the entire map defrosts, then freezes, all except the elves...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Elves have Weather control????
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:51:33 pm »

Damn elven ingenuity.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:52:00 pm »

Odd.

My mind wanders toward the elfs needing trees for their towns, and so are immune to freezes that might kill them all.  Why these world-freezes occur in the first place is a more puzzling mystery.  Maybe some ice-age modeling???  Thinning out biomes/lesser civ's?  dunno.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:58:06 pm »

My guess is it's a HFS that we weren't told about. I know some of those have been found, maybe Toady put in Ice Ages as a surprise?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:01:29 pm »

Obviously, elves light themselves on fire to push back the glacier and protect the forest and little forest animals.

Nah, that's too dwarvenly for the elves...

EDIT: the fire part anyway. Dwarves wouldn't hesitate to let the forest become glacierified.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 09:02:39 pm »

Wait, I think he is mistaking when world gen goes all white while it's rendering itself for an ice age.

We should put up a note or something.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:06:42 pm »

Then why are the elves the only ones that stay green? EVERYWHERE turns white, except some deserts that are at the bottom at the map, and islands. Nearly all the elves are very far north, yet they always stay green, even when everywhere turns white...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 09:09:07 pm »

Then why are the elves the only ones that stay green? EVERYWHERE turns white, except some deserts that are at the bottom at the map, and islands. Nearly all the elves are very far north, yet they always stay green, even when everywhere turns white...
I'm not exactly sure how the tileset works during rendering, but it wouldn't surprise me, really.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 09:12:59 pm »

I'll pass it off as a graphical error for now, but when this world finishes generating, and the elves are surrounded by freezeing biomes, and they're tropical...

i think i'll need to turn up the temp a bit...

with magma...
— Commander Fleyitch

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 09:59:19 pm »

The ELVES, who get snippy about making wooden bracelets can stave off an ice age?
And the DWARVES, who periodically flood the whole goddamn world with magma can't?

I call shenanigans.   

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 10:02:28 pm »

The ELVES, who get snippy about making wooden bracelets can stave off an ice age?
And the DWARVES, who periodically flood the whole goddamn world with magma can't?

I call shenanigans.   

Ditto.

That Zero Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 10:03:40 pm »

The elves are a race of highly advanced magic using (fags) being things. The secret to their warmth is that they are tampering with a strange superextranaturallyterrestrial force from outer space, which first landed back during Prehistoric times, which wiped out a race of highly advanced reptilians. Eventually, the strange energy from this being would cause insanity among the elven ranks, eventually reaching their Queen Druid. She, the Queen Druid Elf, eventually taps into more power than could ever be imagined, and becomes an immortal being that lives through all time. But, due to this mad power trip, all the other elves lose their ability to cast magic, and end up becoming the elves that we know today.

But, time will come, when this strange beast would awaken from beyond the depths, and we will rue that day. And the world will know the fury of Lavos.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 10:05:35 pm »

Then the dwarves use their magma-nukes on the elves and create magma-nuclear winter.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 10:09:59 pm »

Its odd, the elves have like 6 towns REALLY far north nearly on the edge, none of which have changed over 3 thousand years, but the humans have a MASSIVE network of roads nearly crossing the map and are expanding across the entire eastern half of the map...

there are also a surprisingly high number of volcanoe isles in the north sea...
— Commander Fleyitch

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 10:20:57 pm »

Just curious, Ive seen the acronym HSF used several times throughout the forums, what does it mean?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3