Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My miner had a good month.  (Read 1498 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My miner had a good month.
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:13:58 pm »

So, I usually resist the urge to post stuff like this, but one of my dwarves decided to be extra badass today...

First he falls into a mood and produces an artifact armour stand, right when I was trying to find a suitable piece of furniture for my dining halls entrance, to distract my dwarves from the epic miasma/fly problem. This bumps him up to uber-legendary or whatever. I send him out to mine some native copper on the other side of the map. I've forgotten to assign war dogs to the dwarves I have outside my fort as I usually do.

Two ambushes at opposite sides of the map, 5 goblins each led by Human Crossbowmen. Legendary Carpenter cutting wood with a steel axe and Legendary Miner mining copper with a copper pick. I send my military to protect my carpenter, recruit my miner so he at least fights back (no military skills), thinking he's screwed. The carpenter takes 2 arrows in the back and goes down. The miner, however, immediately flies into a martial trance and kills all 6 ambushers with a copper pick before my military can even deal with the other ambush. The miner takes a single yellow wound to the arm which he walks off before he makes it back to my fortress. They give him a fancy title and as soon as he gets back my engraver carves a masterpiece :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So...I know legendary miners are strong but...anyone ever had one this badass?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:15:48 pm by kinseti »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: My miner had a good month.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:28:32 pm »

I had a siege once where my entire military got torn the shreds, but my three legendary miners with no armour, attacked and killed the invaders. One of them was pregnant also. And the wife of one of the other legendary miners.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:36:02 pm »

A legendary miner is essentially a military champion with a mini-spear.

They'e not invincible, but they can kick ass, especially if they get a martial trance (which makes the dwarf in question the dwarven equivalent of Chuck Norris).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:56:46 pm »

I like his title. The Mechanical Meditations of Swallowing. It almost sounds like it makes sense.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 10:28:55 pm »

I like how 'Ducim Stableglove the Mechanical Meditations of Swallowing the Dwarf' takes almost a full line of text.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:33:10 pm »

When you put it like that, The Mechanical Meditation of Swallowing the Dwarf sounds like the title of a book.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:58:24 am »

Miners use the mining skill when the use the pick, even for combat (at least I'm pretty sure they do) meaning when he become uber-legendary at mining, it counted when he mined the goblin's skulls.

That's why miners make such great emergency milita. The only reason a real military is better is shield use and to a lesser degree wrestling.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 03:08:35 am »

Burnedtoast speaks truth.
Same goes for woodcutters, they use woodcutting skill instead of axedwarf skill to fight.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 05:48:47 am »

Burnedtoast speaks truth.
Same goes for woodcutters, they use woodcutting skill instead of axedwarf skill to fight.

That's not true. The only reason woodcutters sometimes excel in combat is their ridiculous stats they get from cutting down all those trees. If they survive combat, they're usually dabbling axedwarves after.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 01:49:15 pm »

In peace, he is Stable-glove.  In war, he is STAB-LEG-LOVE!

Congratulations, your dwarf has an alternate ego.  Mild-mannered Ducim is a hard-working American man, with a secret.  As a child, he was found in an adamantine chasm-craft by the midwestern Stableglove family, for he was no man child.  He was a dwarf, a member of a clandestine race of super midgets who grew accustomed to the stronger gravity, pressure, and heat of the inner earth.  It is his charge to fight the mounting goblin menace, unbeknownst to his human brothers.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:51:26 pm »

A legendary miner is essentially a military champion with a mini-spear.

They'e not invincible, but they can kick ass, especially if they get a martial trance (which makes the dwarf in question the dwarven equivalent of Chuck Norris).

Yep, legendary miners are really hardcore in the vanilla game. I've seen many legendaries, as they were beating the crap out of the goblins alone. Those moments are pretty epic to be honest.  :)
..and also..
The Mechanical Meditations of Swallowing

What the?!  ;D