Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DAMN YOU FISHY BASTARDS  (Read 1304 times)

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DAMN YOU FISHY BASTARDS
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:05:54 pm »

My woodcutter and trader, killed, right after embarking! Seriously, what can I do about murderous fish? My woodcutter cut the head off a carp before being violently mutilated and dragged into the river, but that's not going to put them off killing anyone else who dare pick up wood from by the river. Help D:

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: DAMN YOU FISHY BASTARDS
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:09:33 pm »

Start near a brook. There aren't any carp/dangerous fish at a brook IIRC.

Or start with a ambusher(comes with crossbow, bolts, and Leather armor) and put him 2 tiles away from the river, and he will scare/shoot any fish away.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:12:45 pm »

Righty, shall do. Can't believe they can gang up on Dwarves, though. I'd heard they were dangerous but this just takes the piss.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:15:02 pm »

I suppose you can forbid the wood near the river and undesignate any trees you ordered to be cut down near the banks but that's just avoiding the problem. Dam the river higher up, station archers alongside the banks or train up a hammerdwarf champion in swimming using a pressure switch operated drowing/swimming pool. This early on I would suggest just hiding from the fishies and then annhilating them once you get the dwarfpower in the first immigration wave.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 05:30:34 pm »

I changed the carp bite attack to 99:99.
Now I abandon as soon as I see carp.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 07:31:08 pm »

Geez, it's not that hard...

Restrict the river and one tile inland. Don't cut down trees along the banks. If you want to exterminate them, floor over a small chunk of the river and wall it in, install a floor hatch and have someone fish them to extinction.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 07:42:29 pm »

Restrict the river and one tile inland. Don't cut down trees along the banks. If you want to exterminate them, floor over a small chunk of the river and wall it in, install a floor hatch and have someone fish them to extinction.

Doesn't quite work that way. Large fish like carp can't be fished, and the fish that can be fished are harmless.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 07:49:30 pm »

Here's my idea on how to get rid of the carpy menace:
Step one: find magma.
Step two: divert magma to river.
Step three: stop the magma flow and mine away all obsidian except for some stuff at the river's source to keep it dammed up.
Step four: open up the magma flow again.
Now you've destroyed all the carp AND made a river of molten rock.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 07:51:31 pm »

Doesn't quite work that way. Large fish like carp can't be fished, and the fish that can be fished are harmless.
Yes, the best option for this plan would be to replace the hatch with a grate and use dwarvern tackle (aka: crossbow)

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 08:32:07 pm »

Simplest quick fix is to dig ramps on all of your water sources.

I think dwarves who fall in tend to not path their way back out normally, so they just sit still and drown, even if they do manage to kill their attackers.(Carp will still slaughter your dwarves, but at least they won't just up and drown.)
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 08:46:34 pm »

Yes, the best option for this plan would be to replace the hatch with a grate and use dwarvern tackle (aka: crossbow)

Same thing. I still don't see why it's all that hard once you restrict the dwarves from wandering along the banks.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 08:48:38 pm »

Because "restrict" is not "prevent".  If they want to go there, if they think they need to go there for some obscure dwarfy reason, they will.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 01:14:37 am »

I changed the carp bite attack to 99:99.
Now I abandon as soon as I see carp.

/\ /\ /\

That's just scary.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 01:31:07 am »

Yes, yes it is.
I had 6 of my original 7 dwarves killed almost instantly by carp. The last one was a few spaces away from the river. He was running away. That guy was smart.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 01:41:35 am »

Would zombie/skeletal carp have the same damage?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: [1] 2