Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My world is rotated 180º  (Read 1535 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: My world is rotated 180º
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 12:26:32 am »

Funny thing is that the north end of the compass is accually pointing to the south end (magneticlly) of the world, so the chinese are pretty much right.

NEEEEVVVEEER

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 01:24:47 pm »

Ouch. I wonder where my sun rises and sets...

Incidentally, you can figure this out from which way the prevailing winds blow.  Not on the local map, but on the world map.  The wind blows from the setting sun, toward the rising sun.

And you can figure that out by looking at the terrain.  Specifically, find a big mountain range, and look at the plains on either side of it.  The windward side will be more forested than the leeward side, because it gets more rainfall.  The effect is actually quite pronounced.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 01:39:17 pm »

This discussion reminds me of the world generator in SimLife.  Anyone?  Anyone?

I want a world map oriented with east or west at the top, purely for the laughs when someone tries to explain to me why it is wrong.  And I mean truly oriented, not just a normal map turned pi/2 radians.

The notion of an ancient civilization that uses a flipped compass orientation would be fascinating.  You'd be following some ancient written directions, only to discover you have been walking in the exactly wrong direction.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]