Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347] 1348 1349 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425657 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20190 on: October 11, 2016, 04:44:50 am »

God I hate the "replacement" mods in the 1.10 FTB pack. Things like the new WAILA-replacement and NEI-replacement. They both suck.

The NEI replacement has none of the Op features that NEI had and just feels worse overall. AND IT DOESN'T ALLOW SEARCHING BY MOD NAMES! The WAILA replacement is pretty similar other than the fact that you have to either hold an item in your hand or use up your helmet slot to always see the information.

This seems to me an odd complaint. JEI can search by modname - preface with @ just like you would in NEI. (Perhaps the distinction is that NEI would search only mod names with @ but return all results, including modname results, without it. Actually, it looks like JEI works like this too - searching just "pam's" gets me all the Harvestcraft stuff, even without @. So I don't know where this complaint is coming from, unless you're referring to some other NEI replacement than JEI.)

I can't speak with authority, but there are some reasons people make new mods instead of simply updating old ones. They may believe can do "better" (be more efficient processing-wise, be cleaner code-wise, be more or more easily compatible plugin-wise [I've heard mention that JEI's plugins for mod support are easier to use than NEI's]), generally because people know the mistakes of the last iteration and can avoid them. Semi-legal issues can be a problem too (if the original author doesn't want to relinquish support to someone else, or if the original author is updating himself but only slowly). Different focus despite having similar functionality (the loss of convenience features, like weather control and magnet mode, in JEI from NEI). The One Probe being integrated into an actual in-game item is another example, but TOP also has a config option so that it displays a tooltip by default, for people who prefer it to work like WAILA.

Well, are you guys asking about a modded server (if so, what pack) or a vanilla one?
Vanilla or modded are both fine - except if there's like 4 indistinguishable copper ores that each only work with recipes in 4 different mod packs and nobody can tell the difference between them :/

When adding mods which add the same interchangeable ores, most people will disable all but one mod's type so that you only get one type of ore, for consistency. Ore-generating blocks (like the MFR laser drill) can still create them because of how they work, but you'll only find that one enabled ore type in the world itself. Coupled with ore dictionary (and every even remotely popular mod is going to support the ore dictionary - deliberately not allowing another mod's copper to work in your mod's copper recipes is a great way to irritate players and reduce the likelyhood of your mod being picked up), most of that tedium is completely removed.

There are still rarely problems, though. Most tech mods have bronze, but tinker's construct calls this tinker's alloy. In specific circumstances, a tinker's smeltery can output molten bronze as a tinker's alloy item. I think in my experience this only happened when pouring into a gear cast - casting basins and ingot casts still produced "bronze". This is only really a problem of stacking since tinker's alloy, by dint of the ore dictionary, functions as bronze in recipes anyway.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:48:45 am by Niveras »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20191 on: October 11, 2016, 08:53:17 am »

I remember it actually just making ticon bronze, not any tinker's alloy.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20192 on: October 11, 2016, 03:11:39 pm »

It might depend on specific modpacks/config settings/versions. I'm not 100% sure if it was the gear or something else, only that I got tinker's alloy from doing something when I was expecting bronze.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20193 on: October 11, 2016, 06:33:47 pm »

I know my internet isn't great, but I feel like maybe it's the virtual LAN that's making it completely unplayable. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is Evolve no good? Is there another option now that Hamachi has imploded? Or is it really just my internet, and I have no options until I save up enough money to move to a neighborhood with faster internet?

Its probably your internet, modded minecraft demands a lot of bandwidth and a 10kbps upload is nowhere near sufficient. That said, it might be worth getting rid of the virtual LAN - the person hosting the server needs to set up port forwarding, then you can connect directly. Failing that, you could pay for a professionally hosted server, your own download is still on the low side for minecraft but it should work better than trying to host on your connection.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:36:08 pm by andrewas »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20194 on: October 12, 2016, 08:52:56 am »

I'd like to have one, but right now my closest would be just a friend and I trying out mods that sound neat (chromaticraft is a pretty dang neat mod, for ex.)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20195 on: October 12, 2016, 08:59:01 am »

I'm still waiting for the 1.10 mod scene to settle down a bit.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20196 on: October 12, 2016, 01:06:48 pm »

I feel like there's just a short window where any scene settles down before it evaporates completely.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20197 on: October 12, 2016, 01:15:23 pm »

I feel like there's just a short window where any scene settles down before it evaporates completely.
Hosting a server becomes annoying when the mods or modpack have updates every day or two. Once a modpack gels into a mature product and updates once a week or so its more bearable.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #20198 on: October 12, 2016, 02:56:21 pm »

I started a solo game of Skyfactory 2.55. I went in blind, having never played Skyforge before, and not played most of the involved mods in more than a year. After roughly one day I've managed to build a pretty good sized island one block at a time, before figuring out how the builder wand works. I grew and tore apart about a hundred trees by hand, using the saplings to compost into dirt, before discovering that wooden shears were a thing that could harvest leaf blocks. I made a functional mob-spawner that only killed me 5 times before I sealed up all the holes. And when I finally got my first lava, I dumped it into the cobblestone generator I had prepared where it immediately turned into obsidian.

Fun times.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:51:06 pm by Folly »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #20199 on: October 13, 2016, 11:37:49 am »

I know my internet isn't great, but I feel like maybe it's the virtual LAN that's making it completely unplayable. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is Evolve no good? Is there another option now that Hamachi has imploded? Or is it really just my internet, and I have no options until I save up enough money to move to a neighborhood with faster internet?

Its probably your internet, modded minecraft demands a lot of bandwidth and a 10kbps upload is nowhere near sufficient. That said, it might be worth getting rid of the virtual LAN - the person hosting the server needs to set up port forwarding, then you can connect directly. Failing that, you could pay for a professionally hosted server, your own download is still on the low side for minecraft but it should work better than trying to host on your connection.

We were playing modded minecraft before, though. In fact, we were using way more mods than we are now. It seems a bit odd that the game would get SO completely unplayable when my download/upload speed really doesn't seem to have changed very much.

As for a server, it's my mom who hosts the game, and she just has a regular single-player game and opens to LAN. The idea of teaching her how to set up a server is just... That's never going to happen. This is a woman who, when I tell her to download a file and then ask her where she saved it, says "I don't know what the hell you are talking about. I clicked the button like you told me." If there is a simple way to set up a server, that would be fine, but if it's as complicated as servers seem to be from my limited experience, it's just not an option. (She's in another country, six time zones away, so it's not like I can just go visit and set it up for her.) I don't think it's worth paying for a server, either, since we play about once a month.

I've decided that next time we have a chance, we'll try playing something through Steam and see if it works. If we manage without lag, then it's probably Nexus, and we need to find another way to connect...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20200 on: October 13, 2016, 11:47:52 am »

Well, running a server is very simple from my experience, you double click a starter.bat and it boots up.

The complicated part is the setup to be able to do that...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20201 on: October 13, 2016, 01:44:38 pm »

Does anyone here remember when we got notch to play on our server when mine craft had just been released by notch? :)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20202 on: October 13, 2016, 03:56:45 pm »

Does anyone here remember when we got notch to play on our server when mine craft had just been released by notch? :)

Pepper Bridge farm remembers.
But no, I don't.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20203 on: October 16, 2016, 12:44:18 am »

Pepper Bridge farm remembers.
But no, I don't.
Was that back when Werther's Original was just called Werther's?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20204 on: October 16, 2016, 03:54:40 am »

I remember the original freebuild world of a server I played on not too long after the Halloween update. Every tile was built on in every direction for a very long way. It genuinely felt like a city, except with very random and discordant architecture. It had a constantly turning and branching road in every direction, so that you didn't know where anything was except relative to the road. Somehow, that never happened anymore after map resets...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347] 1348 1349 ... 1380