Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425547 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20145 on: August 30, 2016, 03:48:45 pm »

I think the most effective is a piston-operated pit that drops the player immediately into lava. Also simple. Of course you get no loot but that's a tradeoff.
Simpler, and more profitable, is just to put a very deep pit instead of a shorter one with lava in it. Player drops down, hits bottom, dies. Hopper automatically collects all of their stuff. If you really want to ensure that people die even if they have heavy protection/feather falling/etc. stuff without necessarily needing to build your base on top of a mountain just to get a 102-level fall, then fill the bottom of the pit with zombies which should mop up any players that somehow survive the fall.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20146 on: August 30, 2016, 06:32:58 pm »

MWAHAHAHA.

Now that we know we can be lethal, how about we discuss methods of setting off a trap?

Pressure plates, though easiest to set up, aren't really practical when the person you're trying to kill is actively watching out for them. Unless I can pull something with an ocelot.

One method I've heard of is that you can pick items up through a sealed corner... top-down graphic:

PSSS
S
S SS
S S

The idea is that you attach the pressure plate P to an inverter, so that when an item is removed from it, it sends off a redstone signal. And you know what you can do with those.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20147 on: August 30, 2016, 07:29:12 pm »

Stone and wood pressure plates are hard to spot on smooth stone and wood respectively, especially if they are on stairs or any one block drop.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20148 on: August 30, 2016, 07:30:53 pm »

Doesn't the redstone comparator read how full a chest is and put out a signal based on that?

All you need is some decent loot as bait, plus a hopper to recover the loot(hopefully with profit) from the poor dumb bastard who goes for it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20149 on: August 31, 2016, 09:22:13 am »

A block-update trigger could also work well. Just put a valuable (but not too valuable - you still want to make a profit!) block in the wall, wait for someone to break it, watch them be killed by a deathtrap, and then collect their loot.

Speaking of which, what kind of deathtraps do people use nowadays?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20150 on: August 31, 2016, 10:50:31 am »

Just make a corridor as such:

Code: [Select]
S S S S S
S S     

P S S
S S S S S
Somebody comes running through, drops down (they can't skip it), and triggers the pressure plate.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20151 on: August 31, 2016, 12:06:05 pm »

Anyone with a brain knows not to just jump down holes without giving them a look, first. That won't help at all.
It doesn't look like a hole, just a one-block drop down but if you're not careful it can easily cause you to miss a pressure plate. I've gotten people that way.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20152 on: August 31, 2016, 06:41:35 pm »

Speaking of which, what kind of deathtraps do people use nowadays?

Wish I knew. Don't really play multiplayer much anymore. Or any non-Xbox split screen Minecraft, actually.
~~~
So. Making a lethal trap: fairly easy. Making one that isn't detected... harder.

Doesn't the redstone comparator read how full a chest is and put out a signal based on that?
It can do other stuff, but yes. Ho yes. And it's a bit harder to detect than a default trapped chest. And it has the added benefit of turning off when the chest it'ss attached to is broken. Inverters, mate.
Once attached a comparator to a jukebox. Enemy played disc. Ceiling rained pain on them.

Tip: people don't look up.
~~~
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20153 on: September 09, 2016, 08:33:08 am »

....Dispenser firing arrows from the ceiling?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20154 on: September 09, 2016, 04:50:56 pm »

....Dispenser firing arrows from the ceiling?

...Dispenser firing splash potions of omgwtfImmelting? Fire Charges?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20155 on: September 09, 2016, 05:18:00 pm »

Heck, a dispenser in the floor with Harming II, and a hopper.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20156 on: September 09, 2016, 05:42:37 pm »

Pit full of invisible creepers.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20157 on: September 10, 2016, 03:58:10 am »

I need some help with the big reactors mod. When trying to get water into my reactor I noticed that it doesn't flow into it until the reactor is 100 degrees or lower. I'm using fluiducts if that means anything.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20158 on: September 10, 2016, 05:38:58 am »

I need some help with the big reactors mod. When trying to get water into my reactor I noticed that it doesn't flow into it until the reactor is 100 degrees or lower. I'm using fluiducts if that means anything.
gonna need more information about your setup or a picture. Are you using an active cooled reactor?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20159 on: September 10, 2016, 06:35:00 am »

gonna need more information about your setup or a picture. Are you using an active cooled reactor?

Reactor and turbine right next to each other, steam and water connected properly. I input water and it flows into the reactor. I turn the reactor on and the water turns to steam and goes into the turbine which spins and produces water which flows into the pipe but doesn't flow back into the reactor until the reactor cools down to 100 degrees.
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 1380