Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425192 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20010 on: March 04, 2016, 09:49:08 pm »

I can't really see MC2 being a thing. It'd need to have a significant draw for people to shell out tonnes of cash, and "more of the same but now you have to pay for it" isn't going to draw a huge userbase.

see COD
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20011 on: March 04, 2016, 09:53:13 pm »

Not to mention porting it away from Java would require recoding the entire game.
You mean the W10 + Mobile + Console versions?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #20012 on: March 04, 2016, 09:56:40 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20013 on: March 04, 2016, 10:13:42 pm »

https://minecraft.net/stats

22 million people have bought minecraft over the lifetime of the game. Even if they could sell the game all over again to every single one of those people, plus an extra two expansions at $20 each to every one of those people, that's still barely half the $2.5 billion they paid for Mojang.

My impression is that Microsoft has some sort of strategy relating minecraft to VR. They  really like to show minecraft during hololens demos, for example. But I'm unclear on what that strategy involves. Whenever I see the demos, I come away feeling like microsoft doesn't really understand what minecraft is.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20014 on: March 04, 2016, 10:14:12 pm »

see COD
Fuck
SADLY, the "more of the same, but pay for it" is a model that works wonders, especially on the entitled, deranged community of pre-teens that MC (and COD for that matter) caters to!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20015 on: March 04, 2016, 10:40:21 pm »

Whenever I see the demos, I come away feeling like microsoft doesn't really understand what minecraft is.
To be fair to Microsoft, I'm not sure Mojang really understood what Minecraft is, either.
Nothing important here, move along.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #20016 on: March 04, 2016, 10:47:11 pm »

SADLY, the "more of the same, but pay for it" is a model that works wonders, especially on the entitled, deranged community of pre-teens that MC (and COD for that matter) caters to!
Minecraft: Modern Blockfare XVII
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20017 on: March 05, 2016, 12:39:16 am »

Whenever I see the demos, I come away feeling like microsoft doesn't really understand what minecraft is.
To be fair to Microsoft, I'm not sure Mojang really understood what Minecraft is, either.
It's fairly hard to capture what it is. It's different for everyone who plays it; Some people like the building, others like the mining and exploration... me, I think this game is a tad boring without mods that give it substance.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20018 on: March 05, 2016, 04:52:33 am »

More likely is Microsoft packaging and selling expansions that mimic big mods, which are always kept compatible with the main game, while constantly putting out mod-breaking core updates to destroy the modding community. "Why make something yourself if you can buy it from us?"
I... Doubt it'll get that bad.

Probably not, but oh god, I had a terrible vision. With the UWP and Windows Store shenanigans detailed in that other thread, you know what I expect? I expect Microsoft will finally port Minecraft away from Java... and then put it behind their Universal Windows Platform. It might even include API, just that it will be integrated into the app instead of the hackfest that modding is today (meaning, also as I expect and as I fear, the only modding permitted will be in the manner exposed through that API).

And it just might work too, because Minecraft is by far the most popular "game" Microsoft owns right now. And not just among "gamers" but among children. Someone else I know fears that Microsoft might clue in to that fact and try to exploit that popularity, making Minecraft Microsoft's "Super Mario Brothers." (Whether that's a good or bad thing, /shrug.) The only reason that putting Minecraft behind UWP would fail would be because everyone interested in Minecraft pretty much has it already; but on the other hand, if you can run the same worlds from your PC/tablet/phone on a whim, maybe there are some more purchases to be had there.

That said, even if they tried, there would probably continue to be a java "fork" based on their last official update.

More likely is Microsoft packaging and selling expansions that mimic big mods, which are always kept compatible with the main game, while constantly putting out mod-breaking core updates to destroy the modding community. "Why make something yourself if you can buy it from us?"

im alpha, so legally they have to give them all to me for free :^]

All they'd have to do is say "Were discontinuing work on Minecraft, but there's a Minecraft 2 now! $40 USD for the base game, check back every six months for new expansion content!." Could also tie in to moving off JAVA and/or into UWP. (I will stress that I have no evidence that they will do that, but rather it is just the kind of moneygrubbing I expect.)

And that's assuming that the original alpha clause legally survives the transition of ownership; I'm not a lawyer, but it probably should, if the binding party was Mojang, with Mojang still being the owner of Minecraft.
Yeah I'm not sure how legally binding that clause is. I don't care that much, though. If it's still valid, free stuff, yay! If it's not, it's not like I play minecraft much anymore.

Also nobody understands what minecraft is. Look at notch's early blog posts. Look at the adventure update. Vanilla updates have been disappointing since we got the new save file menu (beta 1.3, iirc)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:54:39 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #20019 on: March 05, 2016, 05:20:03 am »

Minecraft is like the building blocks for whatever the hell kind of game you want it to be. I think it'd be a lot better if it was developed with modding in mind rather than vanilla gameplay.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20020 on: March 05, 2016, 12:00:25 pm »

Not to mention porting it away from Java would require recoding the entire game.
You mean the W10 + Mobile + Console versions?
Java's designed to work across platforms to a degree. Moving away from Java entirely isn't rewriting parts of it, it's utterly rewriting the whole thing.

The W10, Mobile and Console versions are not written in Java. The game has ALREADY been completely rewritten in another language. (Although admittedly those versions lack a few features of the Java version.)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20021 on: March 05, 2016, 12:31:05 pm »

The mobile version is/was apparently done in C++ circa 2014, according to Wikipedia. An unsourced Minecraft forum post states, angrily, that the Xbox version is in C#, which I find completely hilarious. If Microsoft is serious about the UWP thing, and about having Minecraft as a flagship product, it'd totally make sense for them to try and rehash it under UWP.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20022 on: March 05, 2016, 01:42:11 pm »

The developers have explicitly called the W10 version "the C++ version".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20023 on: March 05, 2016, 01:45:57 pm »

You're able to write UWP apps in C++, actually.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #20024 on: March 05, 2016, 04:33:03 pm »

Minecraft for Eggsbox was written in C# long before MS bought the thing, IIRC.
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 1380