Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1327 1328 [1329] 1330 1331 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424983 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19920 on: January 23, 2016, 03:18:40 pm »

Blightfall has ores only located in biomes and I have stuck to the proper biomes. You might be thinking of the caches, which are revealed after you have found each of the minerals yourself.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19921 on: January 23, 2016, 04:19:20 pm »

How does it take longer to add a mod API than it takes for generations of minecraft clones to be developed from scratch, released, fail, and disappear?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19922 on: January 23, 2016, 04:21:36 pm »

How does it take longer to add a mod API than it takes for generations of minecraft clones to be developed from scratch, released, fail, and disappear?
There's no money in developing Minecraft any more. If you haven't bought it already you're not going to.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19923 on: January 23, 2016, 04:42:35 pm »

There's no money in developing Minecraft any more. If you haven't bought it already you're not going to.

I agree but I understand PTTG. I'm bitter as well watching how the modding api flusterduck killed most of my favorites.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19924 on: January 23, 2016, 05:50:22 pm »

The modding API simply isn't one of Mojang's priorities. Why it isn't we'll probably never know, but I'd rather keep relying on MCP and Forge than wait for a feature that'll probably never exist.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19925 on: January 23, 2016, 06:17:12 pm »

A lot of the recent code changes were Mod API prerequisites, so they are working on it. Very slowly, but still.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19926 on: January 23, 2016, 07:56:19 pm »

Friendly reminder that mod api was promised "soon" around BETA 1.3

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19927 on: January 23, 2016, 08:01:01 pm »

Friendly reminder that mod api was promised "soon" around BETA 1.3
Haaaaaa ha ha.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #19928 on: January 23, 2016, 08:13:08 pm »

People still beleive in the mod API?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19929 on: January 24, 2016, 08:39:42 am »

I don't even want it anymore. While mods running through the API might run smoother and play nicer, I get the feeling that it will also limit what's possible to do. Like, there is nothing in vanilla minecraft that maps to pipes, for example; you have hoppers and dispensers, sure, but they only take things in and spit them out, they don't move them across blocks directly. (Maybe how water moves items and entities is the primitive/primordial example?) So the result is that some things are going to have to be "hacked" in anyway, which probably means they aren't going to play nice with things that do run through the API. At the least they will still take a lot longer to develop and still won't necessarily play nicely with each other (mods having to convert between EU and RF, for example). Mods relying on these major changes will slowly lose popularity because of this, and eventually all we'll really see is what Mojang allows to be modded, because those are the easiest things to mod.

It's a pessimistic future, to be sure, but I'd rather keep what we have now, with the expectations that we have now (major mods being several versions behind the vanilla release) than see them functionally die out completely.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19930 on: January 24, 2016, 09:04:03 am »

I'm secretly hoping that the one new mod that has two units for power (RF and RP/redstone potential) becomes 1.8.9's standard. It's more interesting than just RF, and its side effects are not devastating. if you provide too much RP machines get broken but don't blow up (unlike IC2, cough cough) and you just need to provide it with a small repair component to fix it.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19931 on: January 24, 2016, 09:20:02 am »

Mod api is about as likely to work as a duck playing the game well at this point really, considering how long people have sat on 1.7.10 over 1.8 for mods.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19932 on: January 24, 2016, 09:24:46 am »

People are starting to make the move to 1.8.9, and it looks like it'll be the new standard, just like 1.6.4 and 1.7.10 each had their glory days of being the modded version.

So far, mostly utility mods (NEI->JEI, some map utils, etc), simple mods (the ones that add things that don't need code), and magic mods have been ported. RFTools is the main tech mod being ported, along with Botania. TiCon is moving too, it has a lot of performance improvements :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19933 on: January 24, 2016, 09:41:59 am »

Project E is also in 1.8.9 I think, and it still sounds interesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19934 on: January 24, 2016, 06:22:51 pm »

Is Project E that port of EE2 that I heard about but never bothered to investigate further?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1327 1328 [1329] 1330 1331 ... 1380