Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424970 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19860 on: December 16, 2015, 11:36:12 pm »

Event Proposal

I propose that we find about a four hour window where a bunch of us are available, somebody with a server on permadeath hardcore mode, and that we team up and kill the dragon as a one day event.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19861 on: December 16, 2015, 11:43:31 pm »

That sounds !!FUN!!.

However..I played some hours of the BlastOff! modpack with a RL friend this week. I absolutely hate and love that modpack at the same time.
I managed to die 6 times in a row, because of Infernal Mobs.
Then I started a new Resonant Rise 3 singleplayer game and Infernal Mobs killed me to the point of forcing me to enabling god mode and killing invincible crossbow-wielding mobs that could fire a barrage and literally knockback you to another dimension. I got instakilled when going through a nether portal, never seen that happen (especially with Mekanism's Refined Obsidian Armor, which used to be decent). I also enabled some other 2 mob mods available to RR. I don't know why I do such things to myself.
I used to be able to play for days without dying.

So I'm traumatized and definitely not on the top of my game.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:46:05 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19862 on: December 16, 2015, 11:46:15 pm »

Event Proposal

I propose that we find about a four hour window where a bunch of us are available, somebody with a server on permadeath hardcore mode, and that we team up and kill the dragon as a one day event.
+1
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19863 on: December 17, 2015, 07:58:39 pm »

You mean doing the first two seasons of Mindcrack Ultra Hardcore?

If people want ultra hardcore, I'm willing, but I think ordinary hardcore is sufficient. As for it being "two seasons worth," in my experience with hardcore, the biggest timesink is collecting enough ender pearls. If there are 5 or 6 of us, I think 4 hours to kill the dragon is attainable.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19864 on: December 17, 2015, 08:13:57 pm »

Hi all! Have a question -- how difficult is it to set up a private Minecraft server? I've never played and aren't really that interested in playing (From the Depths has taught me that I'm TERRIBLE with 3D voxel sandboxes) but my kids are getting into and their mom is probably buying them Minecraft Pocket Edition for their tablets for Christmas.

They're 9 and 5 (soon-to-be 6). For obvious reasons, I don't want them on public servers. If my son is going to learn about biology, I'd rather it not be from giant voxel dongs. Or for them to spend time working together to build a house only for some assmunch to come literally knock over their sandcastle just because they can. This way, they're safe, and I can allow access to specific friends of theirs who they might want to play with when they're here.

I've got a spare PC lying around with pretty decent CPU and memory, just a really shitty integrated graphics card (and weird proprietary case form, so most aftermarket cards don't fit). Thought I'd convert that into a standing server and leave it attached to the router upstairs.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19865 on: December 17, 2015, 08:17:06 pm »

Mojang is offering a free 30-day Realms trial, so you could start with that, if they're playing the computer version. The portable version is much different, and I have no idea how its servers work.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19866 on: December 17, 2015, 08:20:12 pm »

From what I read, the server software is available free of charge. Realms is more of a subscription-based private server that Mojang hosts on your behalf. Which is cool and all, but why pay a monthly fee when I have hardware to run my own?

EDIT: Plus, from what I remember, you have to be at least 13 to get a Realms account. So *I* could get one, but not them.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19867 on: December 17, 2015, 08:20:26 pm »

It's pretty easy to make your own server, actually. The game itself lets you broadcast your private game over LAN, and there's an entire section of the main Minecraft website that gives you the tools and describes how to set up a dedicated server. There's also the Minecraft wiki, which might help if you can't wrap your head around the standard directions.

If your family likes mods, Forge also has a server option on its installer.

Overall, you're pretty well covered, and if you're not, well, you can always come back here and ask.

Do be mindful that you'll probably need a decent amount of RAM unless your family plans on confining themselves to a small section of the map.
Nothing important here, move along.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19868 on: December 17, 2015, 08:23:39 pm »

Ok cool. That's what I was after, just a general "yes it's easy" or "ohgodno it's like pulling teeth".

I may eventually set up a couple of different servers on this box -- MekWars, TS, etc.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19869 on: December 17, 2015, 08:34:03 pm »

From what I read, the server software is available free of charge. Realms is more of a subscription-based private server that Mojang hosts on your behalf. Which is cool and all, but why pay a monthly fee when I have hardware to run my own?

EDIT: Plus, from what I remember, you have to be at least 13 to get a Realms account. So *I* could get one, but not them.
The server software is free; hosting isn't. The fact that you have a server lying around flew over my head, somehow.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19870 on: December 17, 2015, 09:03:15 pm »

Hi all! Have a question -- how difficult is it to set up a private Minecraft server? I've never played and aren't really that interested in playing (From the Depths has taught me that I'm TERRIBLE with 3D voxel sandboxes) but my kids are getting into and their mom is probably buying them Minecraft Pocket Edition for their tablets for Christmas.

They're 9 and 5 (soon-to-be 6). For obvious reasons, I don't want them on public servers. If my son is going to learn about biology, I'd rather it not be from giant voxel dongs. Or for them to spend time working together to build a house only for some assmunch to come literally knock over their sandcastle just because they can. This way, they're safe, and I can allow access to specific friends of theirs who they might want to play with when they're here.

I've got a spare PC lying around with pretty decent CPU and memory, just a really shitty integrated graphics card (and weird proprietary case form, so most aftermarket cards don't fit). Thought I'd convert that into a standing server and leave it attached to the router upstairs.

Be aware that Pocket Edition and normal PC edition are different (although the Windows 10 version is compatible with pocket edition... it's somewhat confusing at the moment.)

If you're just interested in letting them play together. All versions have easily available LAN play. One person starts up the game, taps "open to lan" and the other connects. Just have to be connected to the same local network.

Setting up private (beyond LAN)servers is pretty easy with the PC version, Pocket edition I'm less familiar with though. I feel like there should be a "roll your own" method, but the only one I'm familiar with is the subscription based Realms. But the PC server will not work with Pocket/windows 10 edition clients. Same other way around.

EDIT: Also, as far as realms account, only one person needs one. If you did that, that could be you, everyone else can connect simply by having a normal purchased minecraft client of the appropriate version.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:04:49 pm by sluissa »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19871 on: December 17, 2015, 09:32:48 pm »

Setting up a basic LAN server is really easy and takes very little work. Setting up something that can be accessed from anywhere other than your LAN network takes a rather nice internet connection if you want to be running anything else on it, and honestly if that's what you were doing I'd suggest just renting a server (you can get one for as little as a few bucks a month).

If all you're doing is running a LAN version then you shouldn't be having any problems just running it on a random computer like that though. :)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #19872 on: December 18, 2015, 06:24:57 am »

Found out how it feels like when you get stuck between gravity and plugin that prevents you going to some places.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 06:43:40 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19873 on: December 20, 2015, 12:45:23 am »

Found it. Apparently it was "VBOs." Now looking at mostly 40-60 fps, up from single digits.

Spoiler: forge is bad, mmkay (click to show/hide)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19874 on: December 20, 2015, 02:58:02 am »

Reformat hard disk, remove and burn the drive, sprinkle salt on ashes, install linux.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 1323 1324 [1325] 1326 1327 ... 1380