Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425213 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19755 on: October 07, 2015, 03:38:16 pm »

So I finally got around to trying Thaumcraft and

Wow.

This is way more complex than I was expecting. I was basically expecting tech by another means with things like vis substituting for electricity and having to melt random (generally renewable) things down in order to produce it. (I think that's even how it worked years ago, way back in its early days.) Wasn't expecting research and having to run around learning things. I was reminded of GLaDOS' inquisitive AI core: "Ooh, what's that? What is that? What is THAT? Ooh, that thing has numbers on it!"

Rather glad I didn't try to start it cold with a new world, instead setting up some basic infrastructure with mods I'm more familiar with (and getting somewhat carried away in that regard before remembering that oh yeah, the plan all along was to learn thaumcraft).

It's actually pretty impressive, in my mind, adding that kind of progression outside of straight crafting with incrementally harder-to-reach materials. But it is also probably more complex than most mods. Good for running on its own or as a main focus but way too much to get into when people include it in mega packs. Like, I kind of rely on spoiler/cheat information anyway (NEI, wikis) but having to keeping track of all the aspects and what makes what is a step above just forgetting a recipe or having to confirm how a particular machine/tool works. The Research Expert research helps a bit in that regard but I owe the fact that I went for that first to spoilers in the first place. Also the fact that bookcases (or is it bookshelves?) can generate free research points if your count for the aspect is 0.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just my texture pack but I have an extremely difficult time seeing the line connecting aspects in the research hexfields. White line against parchment isn't high contrast, Hard to tell if I did indeed choose the right aspect or if they're not connecting.

I guess I'll keep at it, though, not much else to do.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:43:11 pm by Niveras »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19756 on: October 07, 2015, 03:59:26 pm »

Good news! Thaumcraft is soon going to release version 5 for minecraft 1.8+ and apparently most of the major systems are completely overhauled again!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19757 on: October 07, 2015, 04:01:22 pm »

There is a NEI plugin for Thaumcraft that lists the aspects and gives what items they are in and to what they combine (only the things you've discovered so far). It's really helpful, especially when trying to get vis for infusion.

E: overhauled AGAIN???
They were just so nice...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19758 on: October 07, 2015, 04:03:16 pm »

Good news! Thaumcraft is soon going to release version 5 for minecraft 1.8+ and apparently most of the major systems are completely overhauled again!
Cool.  Feature list?  Link?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19759 on: October 07, 2015, 04:17:30 pm »

Cool.  Feature list?  Link?
I don't have any solid info yet, but the beta was apparently released to his patreon supporters so they could help him iron out bugs. All I know is that some major systems were refactored, like the vis relays and centivis systems

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19760 on: October 07, 2015, 04:19:23 pm »

Also, I'm not sure if it's just my texture pack but I have an extremely difficult time seeing the line connecting aspects in the research hexfields. White line against parchment isn't high contrast, Hard to tell if I did indeed choose the right aspect or if they're not connecting.

The aspect symbol is greyed out if it doesn't connect to anything (although this is less obvious with some aspects that are already greyish in colour to start with), but it can be kinda hard to see the connecting lines even without a texture pack sometimes. Research Expertise (which you've already unlocked) is a good tool to check if you've got the right combinations, prior to that you can also check the Aspect list in the first page of the Thaumonomicon, or one of the lists of aspects available on the internet (although it's best to check it's correct for the version you use).

After a while you'll get the hang of how the aspects connect, then the problem is usually 'how do I connect these aspects together using the enormous quantity of Metallum research points I have?'

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19761 on: October 07, 2015, 04:30:24 pm »

After a while you'll get the hang of how the aspects connect, then the problem is usually 'how do I connect these aspects together using the enormous quantity of Metallum research points I have?'
Heh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19762 on: October 07, 2015, 06:01:39 pm »

EEEEEEEEEEE YAY YAY YAY YAY
I LIKE ME MY WIZARDRY :D
Thaumcraft is my favorite magic mod. Some day, I'll get around to learning how to do tech mods...
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19763 on: October 07, 2015, 07:04:41 pm »

Tech mods are simple: First, you mine the craft. Then you build a miner to do it for you. In the meantime, you build some fancier automation, or rebuild the previous setup you had for the miner-building. Or be distracted by magic mods. Or start another mod's tech and haphazardly expand the base until its as big a mess as it can be in factorio, but in 3d and with pipes instead of conveyor belts. An ME system may or maynot be involved.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19764 on: October 07, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »

Tech mods are simple: First, you mine the craft. Then you build a miner to do it for you. In the meantime, you build some fancier automation, or rebuild the previous setup you had for the miner-building. Or be distracted by magic mods. Or start another mod's tech and haphazardly expand the base until its as big a mess as it can be in factorio, but in 3d and with pipes instead of conveyor belts. An ME system may or maynot be involved.

And I love it to death.

However, Applied Energistics 2 is so involved with channels and stuff it takes ages to build anything by yourself in survival now.
I really preferred the old autocrafting way of just putting recipes inside the big cupe and it would spit out your crafted stuff.

Current system is amazing. But amazingly time consuming too.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19765 on: October 08, 2015, 01:25:37 pm »

Having not really delved into many magic-related mods (other than Mystcraft, arguably) - I'm playing on an FTB Infinity server, a friend and I have set up a small base on an island...and I keep hearing worrying sound and musical cues every so often (not just the midnight/dawn/midday/dusk ones).  I seem to recall that some old version of Thaumcraft (possibly) had a mechanic whereby if you mistakenly set up shop in a chunk with one of those evil-looking obelisks near it, your area could invisibly get more and more dangerous (due to a buildup of vis?  I can't recall) until eventually lots of nasty stuff started spawning.  Is that still a thing, and if so how do I make sure we're not camped on top of Minecraft's equivalent of the Hellmouth?

tl;dr - how do I make sure my FTB Infinity base isn't going to suffer an unforeseen magical death in the future?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19766 on: October 08, 2015, 01:55:19 pm »

That should only happen if you set up shop near a tainted area, I don't think the obelisks get any more dangerous.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19767 on: October 08, 2015, 01:55:32 pm »

Having not really delved into many magic-related mods (other than Mystcraft, arguably) - I'm playing on an FTB Infinity server, a friend and I have set up a small base on an island...and I keep hearing worrying sound and musical cues every so often (not just the midnight/dawn/midday/dusk ones).  I seem to recall that some old version of Thaumcraft (possibly) had a mechanic whereby if you mistakenly set up shop in a chunk with one of those evil-looking obelisks near it, your area could invisibly get more and more dangerous (due to a buildup of vis?  I can't recall) until eventually lots of nasty stuff started spawning.  Is that still a thing, and if so how do I make sure we're not camped on top of Minecraft's equivalent of the Hellmouth?

tl;dr - how do I make sure my FTB Infinity base isn't going to suffer an unforeseen magical death in the future?

Well, I tend to play with music off so I don't know about musical cues, and the only annoying noises I get are the usual 'cave noises'. But to reassure you about Thaumcraft, here are the ways that some of the nodes will try to kill you;

- Sinister nodes - most commonly found in obelisks, barrow hills, and eldritch altars, but can randomly be other nodes too - will convert the area around them into an 'Eerie' biome, easily visible on the minimap once it's spread (as it turns all the grass dark grey), and if you're close (spawner range) to them at night they can spawn Furious Zombies, which are exactly like Angry Zombies except they have tons of health and get bigger as they take damage. If you're camped next to one you'll know about it pretty much straightaway once night falls.

- Tainted nodes - will spread taint around them. These seem to be fairly rare, and taint spread does seem to be limited by default in Infinity, so unless the biome type changes to Tainted Lands, or you start having huge purple tentacles appear close by, you're probably okay.

- Hungry nodes - if you try to camp near one of these you and your camp (and your inventory) will end up in the node.

- Warp - not a node type, but Thaumcraft's warp effects will only affect you if you actually start to accumulate warp, through research or other means (for instance if you really want a bunch of temporary warp you can eat Zombie Brains... but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a really good reason) - be careful though if you ever do Research Sharing with others as that might also give you all the warp from their research.

So it's probably not Thaumcraft trying to kill you. Yet. Maybe later.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19768 on: October 08, 2015, 03:20:24 pm »

I'm fairly sure that one of the thaumcraft things also spawns guardians that shoot huge exploding orbs of fuck you.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19769 on: October 08, 2015, 07:14:35 pm »

I'm fairly sure that one of the thaumcraft things also spawns guardians that shoot huge exploding orbs of fuck you.
There is a warp effect that summons Eldritch Guardians, which fire those orbs, and the Crimson Clerics have a fireball attack, iirc, but no static structures (unless you're in the Eldritch, but that'd be obvious).

It might be some very minor warp effects (pulsing screen, heartbeat sound) if they've delved into Thaumcraft a little, which are harmless.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 1380