Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424961 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19545 on: August 23, 2015, 10:32:23 am »

It features in many feed the beast modpacks, which can easily be played simply by downloading the specialized feed the beast launcher.

As for how to get it on its own... I have no idea.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19546 on: August 23, 2015, 10:37:19 am »

How does one aquire this mod?

If you mean Blightfall, it's on the Technic launcher.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19547 on: August 24, 2015, 06:50:06 am »

Does anyone know if it's possible to customize a Technic modpack? I want to add dynamic lighting and a shader pack to make my Let's Play look nicer, but the launcher seems to ignore anything I add when it starts up the game.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19548 on: August 24, 2015, 12:22:28 pm »

The whole world is covered with taint. There are greatwood trees here and there, but I don't have the ethereal blooms to protect them from taint and going near them starts them decaying. (And trying to cut them down results in taint-poisoney-death.) Fortunately, I'm close to getting my first homemade ethereal bloom! Just need to get the leather for that backpack...

Just don't try to make an Ethereal Bloom in a Crucible, until you can make vials of liquid essentia. I learned that the hard way in the other two similar modpacks...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19549 on: August 24, 2015, 12:45:54 pm »

The whole world is covered with taint. There are greatwood trees here and there, but I don't have the ethereal blooms to protect them from taint and going near them starts them decaying. (And trying to cut them down results in taint-poisoney-death.) Fortunately, I'm close to getting my first homemade ethereal bloom! Just need to get the leather for that backpack...

Just don't try to make an Ethereal Bloom in a Crucible, until you can make vials of liquid essentia. I learned that the hard way in the other two similar modpacks...

Why not? What do those do? What would happen if I just made an ethereal bloom in a crucible right now? Something bad?

By the way, I got all the lighting mods to work. Turns out I just needed to restart the launcher. Pro tip: Blightfall with dynamic lights and Sildur's Vibrant Shaders is truly beautiful to behold. All those little pink spots in the taint glow at night in the darkness, like a field of little pink stars. I'll definitely be using this for my LP.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19550 on: August 24, 2015, 12:49:25 pm »

He probably means accidentally destroying the flowers that are the catalyst for the recipe by breaking them down into their component essentia.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19551 on: August 24, 2015, 02:40:56 pm »

Why not? What do those do? What would happen if I just made an ethereal bloom in a crucible right now? Something bad?

By the way, I got all the lighting mods to work. Turns out I just needed to restart the launcher. Pro tip: Blightfall with dynamic lights and Sildur's Vibrant Shaders is truly beautiful to behold. All those little pink spots in the taint glow at night in the darkness, like a field of little pink stars. I'll definitely be using this for my LP.

Crucible has a very limited capacity (100 essentia or so). If you dump something like 16 greatwood logs into the Crucible, it will give you 16 Precantatio, but also 32 of the other two aspects it has.

Ethereal Bloom requires a ton of 4 different ingredients, so it can overflow the Crucible and you will lose your hard-earned resources. You need at least one alembic to make the blooms.

By the way, check if any of those greatwood trees have any spiderwebs, those have a treasure chest hidden under them.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19552 on: August 24, 2015, 02:51:36 pm »

Aha, I understand now. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'd better start making jars of essentia before I try to make the ethereal blooms.

I'm about to start over, anyway, for my let's play. I'm still confused about how to get into Botania. I've only found one pure daisy and a handful of mystical yellow flowers. Presumably there are more flowers hidden somewhere around the world, but I haven't found them yet. There are quests in the book that unlock when you get a flower, and it looks like you'll be able to make more colors of flowers using the book, but in order to get to that point you have to complete other quests which require the use of mana. I don't see a way to do that, since I have no way of generating mana. Hopefully by the time I reach this point again, I'll have a better idea of how to progress.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19553 on: August 24, 2015, 03:45:26 pm »

Can you get bone/bonemeal? You can make flower fertilizer using one bonemeal and four of any kind of dye.
BD
DD
D

This will sprout a handful of flowers on a patch of dirt that's (I think) 9x9. Make sure to have plenty of room, regardless.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19554 on: August 24, 2015, 04:04:53 pm »

floral fertilizer has no recipe in this modpack - Botania is heavily gated. We're supposed to do some quests to enable the one guy on the ship who thinks these flowers are valuable to scan for them. So, forget any easy shortcuts. You can't even craft the lexica botanica without completing another quest line to translate the alien language, and then you have to find one of their copies.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19555 on: August 24, 2015, 06:14:15 pm »

IIRC taint destroys flowers, so you have to gather them ASAP.

Also, you really want to research and learn to use autoalchemy, especially for things like ore purification. Not to mention that essentia distillation is required for most mid to late game thaumcraft stuff e.g. infusion (including the lovely, lovely boots of the traveller)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19556 on: August 25, 2015, 12:17:55 am »

floral fertilizer has no recipe in this modpack - Botania is heavily gated. We're supposed to do some quests to enable the one guy on the ship who thinks these flowers are valuable to scan for them. So, forget any easy shortcuts. You can't even craft the lexica botanica without completing another quest line to translate the alien language, and then you have to find one of their copies.

And the quest you need to do to unlock Botania involve at least one item that requires you to have a mana pool to complete (tiny potato). I haven't the foggiest idea how we're supposed to do that. I've been in touch with the pack author by email about my review and upcoming LP, and in my last message I asked him about this - why is it so heavily gated, and how are we expected to complete a quest requiring a mana pool when we don't have any mana-generating flowers? He hasn't answered yet, but I'll let you know what he says.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19557 on: August 25, 2015, 04:56:49 am »

You only need to do three out of the eight gating quests. (Unless you've done that and the guy asks for more afterward?). Anyway, there should be a mana pool somewhere in the world if we are asked for a tiny potato before being able to create one. I have a guess as to where, but I want a decent crossbow first.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19558 on: August 25, 2015, 05:55:42 am »

You only need to do three out of the eight gating quests. (Unless you've done that and the guy asks for more afterward?). Anyway, there should be a mana pool somewhere in the world if we are asked for a tiny potato before being able to create one. I have a guess as to where, but I want a decent crossbow first.

Ahaaaa, okay. I thought I had to do all of them. That's very helpful, thanks. I'll have to see which ones I can complete then - I got the slime buckets with minimum difficulty. There must be two more I could get through without too much trouble... I reaaallly want Botania. Would be so helpful with so many things... Especially want the Rod of the Mantle for mining!!! Though I haven't found any diamonds, of course... Nor do I have the means to mine them so far...

EDIT: Blarg, I'm stuck at the office and now all I can think about is Blightfall. I'm set up to start filming my Let's Play today. It's going to be spectacular. I'm already composing original music for atmosphere and background, and I got the game all shiny with dynamic lights and shaders. Ohhhhh so exciting... Two more hours of work...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19559 on: August 25, 2015, 02:52:18 pm »

I'm trying my hardest to DL Blightfall. Trying being the keyword.

Gorram thing is refusing to DL for some reason. First it got hung up 37% of the way through the save DL, THEN it decided to stop DLing at all. Deleted the pack and tried again, refuses to DL.

Fecking thing.

I have seen a few people post this issue on the official pack discussion page on Technic, and it seems the solution is to just keep trying. No one seems to know why it happens to some people, but everyone has apparently gotten it to work eventually by just trying again and again... : /

It's worth it! Promise!
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1380