Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1294 1295 [1296] 1297 1298 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424664 times)

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19425 on: July 21, 2015, 04:04:31 pm »

After some testing it appears that the wiki and dozens of sites asking this exact question are giving incorrect information.

Squid no longer spawn in any biome. They spawn in rivers and ocean. Squid farms elsewhere appear to no longer be possible. Though to be fair I haven't tested every biome. They definitely don't spawn in desert or extreme hills.

EDIT:

Ok, I just saw a functional squid farm in a desert on the server I play on. And yet after 40 minutes in creative mode testing out various various tanks and water streams in custom worlds at various heights...squid just don't seem to want to spawn for me. I've tried the stated spawnign ranges and player distances from the wiki, I've duplicated squid farming tutorial videos, I've done giant water tanks in the sky, I've done giant 100 block long waterfalls extending from y 63 to y 4:

Yet squid still don't spawn anywhere in there even when I run from top to bottom and end to end so I'm at every possible distance from the spawnable area. And yet I create an ocean world and they spawn instantly. So I don't know.

Disclaimer - I have never built a squid farm in vanilla or modded; I've usually just used a nearby river or ocean, where available, as they tend to collect there whenever they have chance.

But I did look at the wiki a bit for this, and found this interesting reference -

Quote from: Wiki
Squid will spawn in 1 or more blocks of water, no matter whether it's a water source or flowing water. The level of light is not important. However, they will only spawn if their spawning block (the solid block underneath the water) is between Y (vertical) level 46 and 62, inclusive.

(Source: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Squid_farming )

Which seems to directly contradict the page on spawning mechanics;

Quote from: Wiki
Each individual spawn attempt succeeds only if all of the following conditions are met:

There must be no players and no player spawn points within a 24 block distance (spherical) of the spawning block
If it's a squid or a guardian, then...
- the spawning block must contain liquid (water or lava)
If it's a squid, then...
- the spawning block must be between level 46 and 62, inclusive
- the spawning mob must not be obstructed by other mobs

(Source: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Spawn )

Now, it's possible that this is not a contradiction so much as confusingly-worded, using two different meanings for the same phrase (spawning block being used to refer in the first case to the block location directly beneath the selected position, and the second case meaning the exact spawn position... maybe?). Try making a large, solid platform up to y=46 or so under your water, or just a flat platform coupled with peaceful to disrupt mob spawns below it. (Or any other similar platform-creating solution of choice, really)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19426 on: July 21, 2015, 05:57:53 pm »

Are the squid plugged in? Have you tried turning the squid off then back on again? :P
Did you know that pufferfish can be brewed into water breathing potions? As you know there are no "plugs" in minecraft.
Still funny though.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #19427 on: July 24, 2015, 06:22:03 am »

The Minecraft server I was playing on is down for the foreseeable future. Does anyone know/run a vanilla server? The newer it is the better, really. I'm not into mods. And survivor mode, of course.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:25:37 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19428 on: August 07, 2015, 10:54:37 pm »

*Pretentious Game Journalist Voice*
It's been over five years since I started playing Minecraft, yet I hadn't played it for months until today, when I found out about a new snapshot and went in to see what it added.

I know "I liked it before it was popular" is a clichéd hipster argument, yet that's the way I feel whenever I hear anything about Minecraft and indeed part of why I've gotten tired of it. Yet playing it again, I realized that neither a half-decade of feature creep nor selling out to the same company that makes Halo and operating systems nor growing to have a community composed mostly of whiny kids can kill the part of this game that makes it entertaining, and rightfully (if perhaps unfortunately) unpopular.

TL;DR: Features creep, Notch's greed, normies ree, game fun nonetheless.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19429 on: August 07, 2015, 11:23:25 pm »

notch hasn't been part of the dev team for YEARS afaik

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19430 on: August 07, 2015, 11:37:43 pm »

notch hasn't been part of the dev team for YEARS afaik
Yes, but he was co-owner and some kind of leadership position at Mojang right up until its sale.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19431 on: August 08, 2015, 12:52:44 am »

I don't think it's fair to call Notch greedy. As Tom Leher said, if you really have integ-rit-ty, that means your price is very high. And though the logic isn't necessarily sound, the reverse seems true. If it takes enough money to bankroll the Obama presidential campaign 22 times over to buy you, I'll call you pretty respectable.

EDIT: But then that's a snarky TLDR so in retrospect perhaps I shouldn't read too much into it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:58:37 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19432 on: August 08, 2015, 01:05:45 am »

I can't understand the leap in logic between selling a thing you made and being greedy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19433 on: August 08, 2015, 01:29:42 am »

I can't understand the leap in logic between selling a thing you made and being greedy.

I think I understand the origin of the feeling. In essence, many people felt like part of a minecraft community. Some of them had played since a time when the world was 256 blocks on an edge and you could play any game mode you like so long as it's sandbox. People remembered feeling like they contributed to the game- even when all they did was upvote or link or share or whatever. As long as Minecraft remained the product of an indie game company, that feeling remained.

It is easy to understand why being sold off like so many pork bellies to a company that epitomized the soulless corporation left a bad taste in the mouth of so many, even while understanding and accepting the inherent justice of the sale. In the end, it's fair for people to say that they don't like the way they were treated without pretending that they'd have done differently (although anyone who says that they wouldn't have sold Minecraft off is a liar).

My personal feeling is that the sale was a good idea. Clearly Notch was tired of the limelight, and that's OK. And above all, none of this is the end of the world.

But this is getting far afield.

blocks, creepers, crafting, etc.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19434 on: August 08, 2015, 02:41:53 am »

Notch isn't greedy per se, he just has development ADD.
Minecraft doesn't really have a design direction, which caused the sorry state vanilla Minecraft is in now.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19435 on: August 08, 2015, 04:59:28 am »

The Minecraft server I was playing on is down for the foreseeable future. Does anyone know/run a vanilla server? The newer it is the better, really. I'm not into mods. And survivor mode, of course.

Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/5by5craft/

World reset was ~2 months ago. World border set to +-7000. Population peaks at about 12 players online. G-rated, family-friendly environment.

Breaks from vanilla:
 * Mob griefing is psuedo disabled. Creepers and enderman don't destroy/steal blocks, but villagers can still farm
 * There's a TARDIS at spawn that uses a command block to teleport you to a random spot when you push the button
 * Core protect is running on the server allowing players to have private signs and chests
 * Spawn is protected
 * Server is running spigot for its anti-lag features

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19436 on: August 08, 2015, 05:35:37 am »

The most annoying part of creepers to me is not that they destroy my buildings, its that they destroy the /landscape/ :P

All those craters just look so ugly and are so annoying to fill...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #19437 on: August 08, 2015, 10:52:21 am »

Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/5by5craft/

World reset was ~2 months ago. World border set to +-7000. Population peaks at about 12 players online. G-rated, family-friendly environment.

Breaks from vanilla:
 * Mob griefing is psuedo disabled. Creepers and enderman don't destroy/steal blocks, but villagers can still farm
 * There's a TARDIS at spawn that uses a command block to teleport you to a random spot when you push the button
 * Core protect is running on the server allowing players to have private signs and chests
 * Spawn is protected
 * Server is running spigot for its anti-lag features
Sounds good! Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can join.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19438 on: August 08, 2015, 11:25:57 am »

The most annoying part of creepers to me is not that they destroy my buildings, its that they destroy the /landscape/ :P

All those craters just look so ugly and are so annoying to fill...
Yeah, running around filling craters is never fun.

Problem is, disabling mobGriefing makes them useful, since they can blow up groups of mobs.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19439 on: August 08, 2015, 03:52:16 pm »

Sounds good! Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can join.

Great! Whitelisting usually only takes a day or two. if you become imptient, let me know and I'll prompt a mod. I'm Pirotess in game.
Pages: 1 ... 1294 1295 [1296] 1297 1298 ... 1380