Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421985 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2009, 07:12:41 am »

Strife mentioned this "game" elsewhere.  I'd seen the OP before, but it didn't look important to me.  I fired it up out of curiosity.

How did I not know about this before?

It's like a box of dirt-colored Legos I can walk around in!  Man, I was digging rooms and building huts and shit, then I found a cave and I was all like "This. Is. Righteous."  And then fuck me is that magma!?

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I get that there's a Bay 12 Forum server?  Or at least one that's on the fritz?  Well, can I join guys?  Please?  Look, I made all this cool stuff on a little island-

So I'm gonna buy the full access thing as soon as I get my PayPal account un-borked.  I'd easily pay twice as much if the program had a compass, a free-flying option, and some fucking furniture.  Gimme six hours with your crappy rendering program man, and you'll be buried in cabinets and ottomans and shit.

Speaking of money, we need to start a "when Notch met Toady One" fund.  Because I know I'm not the only guy who, about a second and a half after loading the applet, thought "First Person Adventure Mode".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2009, 10:05:41 am »

i surely thought that it would be a great DF 3D

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2009, 10:30:44 am »

And for those who say this would be too slow, remember this was made in Java. Now I know the guy did a lot of stuff to make sure this program runs fast despite being in Java, but imagine this in C or C++. When Dwarf Fortress reaches the stage where Toady is willing to add graphical enhancements, this would be a decent baseline to observe and base some things upon.

And I am quite sure with all the Dwarf Fortress-themed servers and the conversations I've had with the IRC people before the thing went multiplayer that Notch would know of it.

But yes, there was another Dwarf Fortress-themed server out there that was absolutely amazing. From an epic throne room, to a church with a hammer as a religious symbol, to the crowded bedrooms, it was what a 3D fortress would look like.

Actually, if somebody could make a program to export maps into one of the map generators for minecraft, things could get awesome. Of course only 3x3 max size would fit on a normal minecraft maps. But we really need to tap into this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2009, 11:26:30 am »

The main problem with a DF -> Minecraft thing is that people in Minecraft are two Z-levels tall.
Fortresses would have to be stretched vertically usually.
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I get that there's a Bay 12 Forum server?  Or at least one that's on the fritz?  Well, can I join guys?  Please?  Look, I made all this cool stuff on a little island-
That'd be my computer.  See my signature.
Not on the fritz, just can't run the computer 24/7 due to power usage.
If I had a proper server box, I could do it..
Actually, if somebody could make a program to export maps into one of the map generators for minecraft, things could get awesome. Of course only 3x3 max size would fit on a normal minecraft maps. But we really need to tap into this.
The map editor I'm using to administrate my server (as you can see with the GIF earlier) can import/export PNG files of a single Z level.
I'm sure that could be exploited somehow.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:34:58 am by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2009, 11:34:45 am »

Or just make the blocks bigger.  Anybody else remember that weird 3D attempt at Lode Runner?  That kind of scale would make sense.  Obviously there's the problem of every object in the world being packed into one square, but with no clipping it's the exact same effect.

Eh, it's all up in the air anyway.

Would you object to someone else (i.e. me) hosting a Bay12-only server?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2009, 11:36:13 am »

Would you object to someone else (i.e. me) hosting a Bay12-only server?
That's what my server is.
Feel free to run one when mine's down, though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2009, 11:40:17 am »

That's what I'm saying.  If you're not confident that you can run a round-the-clock server, I can, and I'm offering to do it instead.

I mean, of course I could just fire up the server now and throw a link in my signature, but I don't want to sound like I'm giving you shit.

I don't suppose there's any way for me to get the map data for your server?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2009, 11:41:52 am »

That's what I'm saying.  If you're not confident that you can run a round-the-clock server, I can, and I'm offering to do it instead.

I mean, of course I could just fire up the server now and throw a link in my signature, but I don't want to sound like I'm giving you shit.

I don't suppose there's any way for me to get the map data for your server?
Oh, what you're saying is, you want to take my server and host it 24/7?  Absolutely.
I'll PM you the files.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2009, 11:42:41 am »

I don't see a problem with the maps being stretched vertically. The problem with DF maps is staircases. The best way to emulate them would be water that does not flow. Then we have the different flow methods, so anything with a waterfall would not be allowed as well as pumps for said fluids. Furniture and such can be ignored.

So yes, we can do this. We just need an exporter that tells us if a tile is stone, soil, sand, constructed walls, windows, filled with water, filled with magma, empty or a ramp. Then have it create a PNG file twice to account for two blocks per z-level, and we are set. Compared to other projects, this is not too bad.

Edit: Awesome, 24/7 server!
 Wait, are password protected servers in yet?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2009, 11:46:34 am »

Wait, are password protected servers in yet?
No, but if it's not public, there's virtually no chance of somebody that doesn't come here getting the URL to join it.
I had a few problems with bots doing it, but they get kicked immediately.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2009, 11:48:20 am »

well, this is going to be fun!

please post when the server is UP. incidentally, i notice sound is live.

(who else here has a custom skin other than me and Jay?)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2009, 11:54:37 am »

I've spoken too soon.  I need some talking-through with this stuff, because I've never hosted a server of any kind before, and the Readme seems to contradict what the program appears to actually do.

Namely, I can't connect to my own server.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2009, 11:57:45 am »

oh noes!

you are a lying liar who lies Aqizzar.

>:C

(oh, and i never did get told why people are sporting green atire, PLEASE impregnate my brain with your juicy information)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2009, 12:07:56 pm »

Righto.

You specify a port (that's forwarded) in server.properties (in my case that'd be port 6112), set Public=false, run start server.bat and then post the URL here.
That's really about all there is to it.

From the readme I wrote for you with my server files:
Extract this stuff somewhere, change the port number in server.properties to something that's forwarded properly (or leave it if 6112 is forwarded on your box already), run start server.bat, and it'll update the externalurl.txt with the new URL that we need to propagate on B12.
Aquizzar do you have an IM service of some kind?
It'd be easier for you to pose your questions for me there and not flood the forums.
If required we can post a log of the chat for others to understand at their own risk.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:12:59 pm by jaybud4 »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2009, 12:15:06 pm »

Well, it still says it's failing to connect to my server, so...

You specify a port (that's forwarded) in server.properties (in my case that'd be port 6112)

I have absolutely no idea what any of that crap means.  Unless you want to wait about three weeks for me to read that euphemistically giant "getting started" page, I'm going to need a lot more hand-holding.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 1380