Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1281 1282 [1283] 1284 1285 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423592 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19230 on: March 25, 2015, 08:28:12 pm »

I like building buildings. I have no interest in building stuff that are modded-in factories or quarries or anything like that. I like building scenic castles and forts, that kind of thing. If I played survival I might have been interested in tech mods, but I don't take any joy out of optimizing block factory layouts. Now if you wanted to actually build a huge factory structure, I would love that.

Anyways, when I build an epic thing, I lose motivation to keep building because people will never use it. I still like it, but looking at it on a proverbial shelf gets very tedious very quick. I'm not sure of any better way to explain it. When I build a huge castle, I'd like to be a plot point or something, or a common area to where people go, I can't exactly do that with just myself.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19231 on: March 25, 2015, 08:34:30 pm »

Hm. I'm not a guy that's a Member of Minecraft's Community - I never even played online with random people or used it's forums - but I'd bet you should look for a server that uses maps and quests or that sort of thing, or even join with someone who makes adventure maps. I'm pretty sure there's a whole community around it.

But now I get what you mean. A loooong time ago I used to make maps for Tibia (yes) back when the Open Tibia servers started becoming a thing.
Then I got demotivated since every big server had dedicated mappers so mine would probably never made it.
I wasn't all that much into it, though, but again..joining up with people who has the same desire would be your best bet, and taking the first step and making an experiment wouldn't hurt anyways.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19232 on: March 25, 2015, 08:37:31 pm »

Anyways, when I build an epic thing, I lose motivation to keep building because people will never use it. I still like it, but looking at it on a proverbial shelf gets very tedious very quick. I'm not sure of any better way to explain it. When I build a huge castle, I'd like to be a plot point or something, or a common area to where people go, I can't exactly do that with just myself.
Make custom maps?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19233 on: March 25, 2015, 08:54:08 pm »

@Gabeux, the only problem with the MC community is that most of it is... prepubescent. Of course, being only 18 there are number of people I get along with who are a number of years younger than I am, that said, there are a lot people are who are just annoying as all hell and frankly it's difficult to sort through the mess of the MC forums.

But that's secondary I guess. You make a good point, there is a community around this kind of thing, and while i've done some light-ish searching around MC forums, I've turned up precious little. I found my last group there, but the project isn't moving along at decent pace, though things might have changed since I last showed up.

@Spehss_, I could, I could, it's not a bad idea really, but when it comes to making whole maps I'd like to have a few buddies to do it with. I'll confess, I DO get tired after a while. The interest comes and goes, but it always returns! So ya, social building is nice too, especially when you have a lot of competent people with great ideas.

EDIT: Maybe MC just isn't the game for me anymore. I just want to build things and see people derive enjoyment or wonder from using/seeing them, which oddly enough, seems to be lacking in a lot of MC stuff. Even the RP servers. Perhaps there is a better game out there?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:57:08 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19234 on: March 25, 2015, 08:58:29 pm »

Oddly enough PvP clan servers often have demand for fancy buildings, once you get past the level of desk-chair general basic fortifications and stuff. The mixture of utlilty (storage space, traversability, defensibility) and aesthetics often results in something quite nice to be around. Better than a castle where most of the rooms are useless anyway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19235 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:20 pm »

Oddly enough PvP clan servers often have demand for fancy buildings, once you get past the level of desk-chair general basic fortifications and stuff. The mixture of utlilty (storage space, traversability, defensibility) and aesthetics often results in something quite nice to be around. Better than a castle where most of the rooms are useless anyway.

I've thought about that, haven't looked in to it too much though, perhaps I shall.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #19236 on: April 10, 2015, 10:56:44 pm »

Question about light detector blocks. If you placed a light detector block at the very bottom of an extremely long and opaque shaft, would it only receive enough daylight to power itself for a split second at high noon? Could you use this to set an accurate clock?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #19237 on: April 11, 2015, 04:28:17 am »

Question about light detector blocks. If you placed a light detector block at the very bottom of an extremely long and opaque shaft, would it only receive enough daylight to power itself for a split second at high noon? Could you use this to set an accurate clock?

From what I know, unfortunately Minecraft renders daylight in such a way that noon is no different from any other time past the end of dawn but before dusk begins.

However, and this is a theory, you could likely construct a clock by using two daylight sensors and calculating the time between activation.

Although since outside of server play redstone is infallible, and day length is a constant, that construction would ultimately be redundant.

And since redstone is fallible in SMP, an atomic (accuracy) clock would be nearly impossible.

hmm I sort of want to make a clocktower that uses outward facing pistons to emulate hands now.

Ninjaed :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19238 on: April 11, 2015, 04:34:37 am »

However, and this is a theory, you could likely construct a clock by using two daylight sensors and calculating the time between activation.
Or possibly count ticks of a circuit that is sustained by the light detector versus unsustained ones to compare day and night.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19239 on: April 11, 2015, 10:13:02 am »

I started playing minecraft, uh...

uhh....

about a week before the first version of infdev was released.

I dont even know how long ago that was.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19240 on: April 13, 2015, 09:55:20 pm »

Feburary 2010..... A few months before I discovered DF...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19241 on: April 13, 2015, 09:56:30 pm »

Sometime in 2012, I think? I, too, discovered DF after Minecraft. I discovered it through the wiki, actually.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19242 on: April 13, 2015, 09:56:36 pm »

Beta 1.3.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19243 on: April 13, 2015, 10:24:08 pm »

I got into it probably probably not too long after it first launched. I got to see some of the great monuments of the ancient era first-hand, and even helped build one or two. I was wary of buying it because, while it was certainly fun building things with the blocks, I just couldn't imagine it ever getting really worth the money.

It's coming up on six years now. I'm glad I gave in.
Nothing important here, move along.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19244 on: April 14, 2015, 01:30:45 am »

I bought this just before the halloween update. Don't know when that was, exactly.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1281 1282 [1283] 1284 1285 ... 1380