Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423450 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19170 on: December 30, 2014, 10:37:10 am »

I tried to make a mob farm over the ocean at 103 y-level, but nothing happened. I was 24 blocks away minimum from any spawnable areas :(

I think that maybe there's not enough dark areas (only 3 5x5 areas) but I'd really hate it if I built a lot more floors but nothing happened again/...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19171 on: December 30, 2014, 11:15:30 am »

I tried to make a mob farm over the ocean at 103 y-level, but nothing happened. I was 24 blocks away minimum from any spawnable areas :(

I think that maybe there's not enough dark areas (only 3 5x5 areas) but I'd really hate it if I built a lot more floors but nothing happened again/...
Cave systems extend under the ocean. You'll need to light up the underground before you build your mob farm.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19172 on: December 30, 2014, 11:18:44 am »

I think I should have built my farm at altitude 190. But it's too late now.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19173 on: December 30, 2014, 11:58:55 am »

Well it seems there is a bug with the big reactors mod. I keep coming back to my reactor and finding it half empty with no waste, despite putting a full stack of yellowrium ingots in there. After looking for an answer I've only found lots of complaints about the bugs, but no solutions. Anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19174 on: December 31, 2014, 11:30:49 pm »

Well it seems there is a bug with the big reactors mod. I keep coming back to my reactor and finding it half empty with no waste, despite putting a full stack of yellowrium ingots in there. After looking for an answer I've only found lots of complaints about the bugs, but no solutions. Anyone have an idea of how to fix this?
Wait for the developers to fix it. Or downgrade to an older version where the bug wasn't present. Not a whole lot you can do without cracking open the mod file and screwing with the code therein.

Cave systems extend under the ocean. You'll need to light up the underground before you build your mob farm.
Alternatively, go 128 blocks above the ocean floor. Mobs more than 128 blocks away will despawn instantly and not affect farm rates to any great degree.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19175 on: January 06, 2015, 03:45:32 pm »

128 blocks vertically? Because if this were the case for horizontal despawns, I'd end up with no farm left when I go mining.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19176 on: January 06, 2015, 07:44:29 pm »

It's a 128 block sphere around the player. So yeah, mining does impinge upon the efficiency somewhat.

Other options include lighting up each and every cave and all of the surface.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19177 on: January 15, 2015, 02:18:38 pm »

How goes Minecrosoft?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19178 on: January 15, 2015, 02:24:50 pm »

How goes Minecrosoft?
Negative consequences so far:
- No pre-releases for updates recently, probably due to legal or logistic issues.
- Notch has turned into a rub-it-in-your-face $80M mansion-buying self-righteous rich prick since taking his billion and bouncing
Neutral consequences so far:
? Deal with Telltale to make an adventure game tie-in. Personally I think it's sellout bullshit and that Minecraft just isn't suited to a linear narrative-focused adventure but plenty of people are at least giving it a chance.
Positive consequences so far:
+ Microsoft has not ruined the game yet.
+ The former co-owners of Mojang have not been ostentatious assholes like Notch and instead seem to have disappeared contentedly with the money.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19179 on: January 15, 2015, 07:29:46 pm »

I haven't really heard anything about Notch other than his purchases. How is leaving something you sold and using the money for personal uses being an ostentatious asshole?

How goes Minecrosoft?
I still found it hilarious that people actually thought(/think) Minecraft would(/will) be ruined by Microsoft. Really the worst case is stuff like the telltale game, which I personally dislike (but whatever - doesn't really affect me). Microsoft isn't stupid enough to change the "formula" for Minecraft.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19180 on: January 15, 2015, 08:22:50 pm »

Yeah, all I've really seen of him is his standard "pay more than average into gaming charities" thing.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19181 on: January 17, 2015, 06:45:14 am »

So... mods. I'm having trouble choosing a redstone/logic mod to put in,  mostly because there are so many.

Bluepower, Project Red, RedLogic, Rednet, and WR-CBE. Can anyone detail the pros/cons of each mod? @_@

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19182 on: January 17, 2015, 01:49:15 pm »

So... mods. I'm having trouble choosing a redstone/logic mod to put in,  mostly because there are so many.

Bluepower, Project Red, RedLogic, Rednet, and WR-CBE. Can anyone detail the pros/cons of each mod? @_@

Of those, I think only Project Red and RedLogic are redundant, the others can be combined or something.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19183 on: January 17, 2015, 08:19:48 pm »

Rednet is pretty awesome. Mostly cables and programmable redstone stuff. It's part of Minefactory Reloaded last I checked (or did they merge it with Thermal Expansion? I know there's something with that).
WR-CBE is amazing, but you might find it too powerful depending on what your modpack is like.
I haven't used Bluepower or RedLogic, but Project Red is fantastic - basically a less laggy version of Redpower from way back.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19184 on: January 31, 2015, 06:38:09 am »

Anyone know where I can find cats in a biomes o'plenty world? I haven't seen any jungle biomes at all, and I've explored a LOT, on a lot of worlds. I've found plenty of dogs, but no cats. : (

EDIT: Okay, I've found some jungle now. No ocelots yet, but I suppose I'll have to keep looking around, and presumably kill off all the other animals so they can spawn.

Now I have another problem. I really want a cherry tree grove, but I can't find one. I've been searching for hours and hours and hours, but I keep seeing the same biomes over and over again. This world seems packed full of seasonal forests, moors, and meadows, but no cherry trees. I've never had a world where I couldn't find one, but now I'm not sure. I know the world generates infinitely... If I keep going, will I eventually find one? Or is it possible that this seed simply doesn't contain any, no matter how long I search?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:39:21 am by Sappho »
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 1380