Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1276 1277 [1278] 1279 1280 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423433 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19155 on: December 28, 2014, 06:18:57 am »

Me tooo

I dislike monsters but Peaceful is too easy :|

I'm not sure I'd play it right now though.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19156 on: December 28, 2014, 06:28:51 am »

So, I'm thinking of getting back into this--though my first MP experience was only with Skyrunner's servers and it had...a partial hard time to load areas (took a while to load things) but it was very stable along with multiple mods though!

...How has Minecraft been lately? Is FeedTheBeast being used?
I've little technical knowledge about all of these >_<;
Eh, there's the technic launcher and the FTB launcher, both seem to be relatively stable and the forums will probably give you some nice servers, though I really would suggest easing back into the swing of things with some single player because for me stuff like Hexxit (Technic launcher) and Technic (Technic launcher) had a lot of new stuff.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19157 on: December 28, 2014, 06:30:56 am »

Ooh ooh, what do you guys recommend for tech mods?

Rotarycraft is interesting. Power is distributed through rotating shafts and Is handle pretty realistically (except torque is distributed incorrectly if you split a shaft) and its gated through player knowledge rather than by making later tiers exponentially more expensive, so you won't be spending too long at the crafting table producing components and sub components as you do in ic2.

You'll want another tech mod alongside it though, rotarycrafts liquid pipes don't work well over long distances and the item pipe is only good for one to one distribution, maybe many to one. I'm using TE ducts to fill those gaps. Also there's no power teleport in rotarycraft though you can covert to and from RF, so tesseracts will com in handy.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19158 on: December 28, 2014, 12:33:52 pm »

I play using a custom modpack. I'd upload it but I think there are a few in there that say "you may not use this in modpacks" blablabla. But here's a list of my mods, if you want to try it out. It's designed around playing on peaceful, but still having a survival challenge; you have to eat, and you can't eat the same foods repeatedly or they lose their nutritional value. Also, crops grow very slowly. So you have to balance your diet while you try to carve out an empire in the wilderness. I'm also using Sildur's Vibrant Shaders, which adds another layer of difficulty since it's so very dark at night (makes exploring at night a dangerous challenge, and I have definitely fallen into ravines and such even holding a torch).

I think that's everything. If anyone wants to try it out, I'll put it on my dropbox and make a link, but I'll send it only through PMs so I don't anger the mod creators.
Could you send me a PM as well?
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19159 on: December 28, 2014, 03:15:02 pm »

I play using a custom modpack. I'd upload it but I think there are a few in there that say "you may not use this in modpacks" blablabla. But here's a list of my mods, if you want to try it out. It's designed around playing on peaceful, but still having a survival challenge; you have to eat, and you can't eat the same foods repeatedly or they lose their nutritional value. Also, crops grow very slowly. So you have to balance your diet while you try to carve out an empire in the wilderness. I'm also using Sildur's Vibrant Shaders, which adds another layer of difficulty since it's so very dark at night (makes exploring at night a dangerous challenge, and I have definitely fallen into ravines and such even holding a torch).

I think that's everything. If anyone wants to try it out, I'll put it on my dropbox and make a link, but I'll send it only through PMs so I don't anger the mod creators.
Could you send me a PM as well?

Sent.

So I'm grieving now. I was trying to walk my mother through the process of installing this new modpack for us to play together, and she accidentally deleted the instance we've been playing on since the summer. I searched and scoured the internet for options, and we even tried doing a system restore, but it's... gone. It's gone. Our beautiful world is fucking gone forever. She never backed it up. (She doesn't even know how to save a file to a folder that isn't the desktop.) It's... gone.

I don't suppose anyone knows a way to restore an accidentally-deleted instance in MultiMC? I wish they just sent it to the recycling bin instead of perma-deleting it...

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19160 on: December 28, 2014, 04:55:55 pm »

If windows doesn't have a restore point for that folder, you're pretty much out of luck. There is software which can recover deleted files, but it depends on the fact that deleted files are just marked as empty space rather than actually erased, so the odds of another program having written over that space by now are pretty high. You can try it if you like, though. I don't know of any good free ones, last time I looked everything demanded money to actually recover files. The world is not stored on client computers in any form so recovering it from your computer would be impossible.

If you have the seed you can regenerate the same world, though all your work would still be gone.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19161 on: December 28, 2014, 05:34:59 pm »

We don't even have the seed. It's not so much the work as the time spent. We've been playing in that world once a week for about six months. We live six times zones apart, and we have no positive relationship outside of video games, so that world was... pretty important. More to my mom than to me. I had been trying to persuade her to let that one go and start a new one with more updated mods, but she was clinging to it, super proud of the house she had built, learning how to play bit by bit. Even if we made a new world to play together on, she was still going to keep that one for the memories, and for single player. I won't miss the world itself that much; I've gone through many and I know that as soon as you start a new world, you forget the old one. But I feel bad for my mom. One dumb slip-up and it was all gone.

I taught her how to back up saves today. Hopefully she'll remember how and do it properly so this doesn't happen again. Still a huge shame. I've never understood why programs (usually games) permanently delete files rather than moving them to the recycle bin. Someone like my mom doesn't catch the "this action is permanent" warning after hitting delete on the wrong file by mistake. I had been walking her through setting up a new instance with a later version of Minecraft, and when I told her to install forge, she said the versions showing up were wrong. I asked her if she was sure this was the new instance and not our old one that she was looking at, and she said yes, twice. I told her if this is really the new one, that means you've installed the wrong version of Minecraft and we need to start again. I told her to delete it, and seconds later she realized she had been looking at the wrong one, but it was already too late. So I feel really guilty for telling her to delete it, without giving it a second thought. I never would have mistaken one instance for another, but I should have known that she would. And I didn't realize it was permanent until it was too late...

Ugh. What a mess. Well, we'll start a new world tomorrow, and hopefully she will get over it quickly. At least there are still the videos I made.

EDIT: Does this program look safe? http://www.techradar.com/downloads/recuva

She really doesn't use the computer very much, so I'd say there's a very good chance the deleted file hasn't been overwritten yet. I want to try, anyway. I know it would mean a lot to her if we could get that world back...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:40:02 pm by Sappho »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19162 on: December 28, 2014, 08:27:32 pm »

The main reason programs do that is because the Recycling Bin is a Windows-specific construct. People would have to use the Windows API to let stuff be moved to Recycling Bin, and everyone knows the Windows API is a PITA. Also, Mac and Linux probably have their own ways to handle recycling bin... meanwhile permanently deleting stuff is a part of every programming language. :/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19163 on: December 28, 2014, 08:47:12 pm »

EDIT: Does this program look safe? http://www.techradar.com/downloads/recuva

She really doesn't use the computer very much, so I'd say there's a very good chance the deleted file hasn't been overwritten yet. I want to try, anyway. I know it would mean a lot to her if we could get that world back...

Haven't tried it, but its got to be worth a shot.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19164 on: December 28, 2014, 09:06:06 pm »

Recuva is safe and works, but Id get it from the original site.

www.piriform.com

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19165 on: December 28, 2014, 11:24:35 pm »

The main reason programs do that is because the Recycling Bin is a Windows-specific construct. People would have to use the Windows API to let stuff be moved to Recycling Bin, and everyone knows the Windows API is a PITA. Also, Mac and Linux probably have their own ways to handle recycling bin... meanwhile permanently deleting stuff is a part of every programming language. :/

Mac's method is to not have a recycling bin. If you delete something, it's deleted. For SSDs, it's hard deleted. For HDDs, the pointer is removed but the data is still there until it's overwritten.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19166 on: December 29, 2014, 03:18:07 am »

Well, I gave it some thought overnight. I felt sad and guilty for a while, then I remembered how my mom, as soon as I moved out, threw away half my stuff despite having several empty rooms in the house to keep it in, because she was "sick of looking at it." She sold or gave away most of my books and all of my old CDs. Every time I've gone back to visit her, there's been more stuff missing that I had hoped to take with me. I just barely got there in time to rescue the expensive and almost unused rock climbing gear my dad had bought me. She even throws out old photographs.

A few years back, we were playing Glitch together. It was the perfect game for us. A free platformer MMO with cute graphics, focused on people throwing parties and being nice to each other, with a big map and plenty to do despite having no combat. We had a great time. Then the developers decided without warning that they weren't making enough money off the game, and shut the whole thing down. It was sad. It was frustrating. If they had said "we're switching to a pay-only service from now on," we would gladly have paid. We didn't realize they were short on funds. But instead, they just canceled it, and it seriously bummed me out. Thing is, within a month or so I had totally moved on. But my mom? She *still* talks about how much she misses Glitch and how sad she is that they closed it. She regularly asks me if I've found another game like Glitch yet.

It's a shame our world is gone, but I don't know why I let myself feel so guilty for not preventing it from happening. It's a little messed up that she cares more about video game worlds than real-life memories. Finally, I tried installing that program to see if the files would be recoverable. I had deleted an old, unused instance from MultiMC last night (which is how I discovered deleting is really permanent), and I hadn't really done much else on the computer afterwards. I got that program going, did a search, and it only found a few of the deleted files, several of which were already overwritten - by the chat program I was using to talk to my mom *while we were deleting the files*. Doesn't seem likely the world is really salvageable at this point, and if I tell mom there might be a way to save it, it'll just get her hopes right back up. So I've decided the best thing to do is to get her into a new world as quickly as possible so she moves on and forgets the old one.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19167 on: December 29, 2014, 10:07:26 am »

I've been playing the ATLauncher - yogscast complete pack, and after many hours of having no problem playing the game, I load it up and suddenly massive lag to the point of making it impossible to play after loading a few chunks.

I have the memory limit set to a little over 4GB and it has been working fine up until now. Now the task manager says it's not even using 3GB, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with memory. However I am getting the message "Memory connection overburdened; after processing 2500 packets, we still have 1368 to go!"

Can't even decide where to start figuring out what is wrong.

Whoops! My laptop was set to powersaver mode. Effectively halves my computer's power.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:16:40 am by Micro102 »

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19168 on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:43 am »

I've had Minecraft itself eat my single-player instance a couple times with modpacks; it happened well after install and I had a small empire going already.  It was irritating, sure, but it didn't make me quit.

That said, it's probably for the best to start a new instance because of all the things the mods can change.  (especially biomes o' plenty)  Having a little bubble of vanilla MC where you already have a base, but having to travel to the extents of your previous exploring to find mod materials/content...  that's _more_ irritating.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19169 on: December 29, 2014, 05:22:59 pm »

Well we just played for 7 hours and got established in a world we both agree is WAY more awesome than the one we were in before. My mother is currently setting up her new house on a hill overlooking one of those giant flower gardens. Also, I added Ex Nihilo to this pack, and successfully started a herd of mooshrooms, a small mycelium mushroom plantation, and the beginnings of a netherwart farm. So all's well that ends well! In fact, it's probably for the best that the world got et. If it hadn't, she might never have let go of it and come to explore a new world.

Only downside is that her computer turned out to be too crummy to handle Ars Magica, so no magic for us. Ohhhhh well.
Pages: 1 ... 1276 1277 [1278] 1279 1280 ... 1380