Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423032 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19065 on: November 18, 2014, 08:14:08 pm »

...Yeah, textures eat up quite a lot. The default textures are 16x16; 32x32 is 4 times that size, and 64x64 16 times.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19066 on: November 18, 2014, 08:15:59 pm »

Well I got it down. Apparently texture packs can double the amount of RAM the game needs.
Should only if it's ridiculously huge. A 256x256 one for vanilla minecraft would only take up, like 65 megabytes of ram or something (256x256 ...x256 textures, x 4 bytes). Unless notch absurdly stores every texture over and over for every block face in range at full resolution, or something dumb like that.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19067 on: November 18, 2014, 08:24:45 pm »

Oh, thought I'd mention that I have a completely vanilla survival server. Originally got it just for me and my friends, but I could open it up to you all, if you want. And there's no plugins, or bukkit. Just like Singleplayer, on hard difficulty. I can give more info and perhaps the IP later tonight.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19068 on: November 21, 2014, 03:18:15 pm »

Recently, I've been fooling around in the latest version of the Ars Magica 2 mod, and I've make a few spells I thought might be worth sharing. I've been messing around with a project I've been calling "Procfest", because it is essentially walls proccing walls proccing walls proccing walls proccing a spell. I *might* have broken the spell system. I made a spell that, for a mere 15 mana, will, with the aid of a catalyst creature such as a sheep, scour the surface world clean with hundreds upon hundreds of lightning bolts (as in, more than one per block). Here it is:

Code: [Select]
Shape Group: Wall|Wall|Wall|Wall| //amount can be varied to accommodate computer ability; a full set of 4 will result in enough walls to crash minecraft for me.
Spell Stuff: Channel|Storm

Basically, this works because every iteration, all of the walls spawned (excepting he 4th generation walls) will spawn a wall, on every entity it intersects. all generation 4 walls will count as you channeling Storm. Due to this being exponential growth, having one wall in the shape group will result in the same as channeling it normally. Two is a bit faster. Three is a cone of white blinding death on every single mob in the area and the entire world being aflame. Four crashes minecraft. This effect scales exponentially with number of mobs, and the results given here were with one mob.

I think things like this might be why Ars Magica 2 is considered OP.  Might.

I'll test this on older versions (which are more stable anyway), however, and report results.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19069 on: November 23, 2014, 12:15:35 am »

Been building a quarry, and I have come across a problem with a pump and water. For some reason a stirling engine will not work properly. I first put 3 on a pump but 2 of them heated up while one pumped every ~10 seconds. After removing 2 of them, the last pump only pumps once every ~5 seconds. In both instances the pump(s) overheat.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Also, after manually putting water in, the steam engines don't seem to be transferring power to the kinesis pipes. I've used quarries in earlier versions so I know how to do this, but it seems things have changed and I cannot figure it out.

Yes I am using wooden kinesis pipes.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:34:53 am by Micro102 »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19070 on: November 23, 2014, 05:42:21 am »

Been building a quarry, and I have come across a problem with a pump and water. For some reason a stirling engine will not work properly. I first put 3 on a pump but 2 of them heated up while one pumped every ~10 seconds. After removing 2 of them, the last pump only pumps once every ~5 seconds. In both instances the pump(s) overheat.

Also, after manually putting water in, the steam engines don't seem to be transferring power to the kinesis pipes. I've used quarries in earlier versions so I know how to do this, but it seems things have changed and I cannot figure it out.

Which version are you using? Kinesis pipes have recently been rewritten to only transfer the required amount of energy, and pumps only accept limited energy (a ridiculously small amount at that). Try using a Thermal Expansion energy cell instead (if it should be necessary, convert RF to MJ first using an energy conduit or an Extra Utilities energy node or an Engineer's Toolbox MJ adapter or a Power Converters energy bridge or an EnderIO energy conduit).

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19071 on: November 23, 2014, 01:20:14 pm »

Oh, thought I'd mention that I have a completely vanilla survival server. Originally got it just for me and my friends, but I could open it up to you all, if you want. And there's no plugins, or bukkit. Just like Singleplayer, on hard difficulty. I can give more info and perhaps the IP later tonight.
A few days late, but yeeesss. Please.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19072 on: November 23, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »

-Redacted- is the IP. ((PM for IP))

Try not to burn things. ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:45:09 pm by Projeck37 »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19073 on: November 23, 2014, 05:46:27 pm »

Which version are you using? Kinesis pipes have recently been rewritten to only transfer the required amount of energy, and pumps only accept limited energy (a ridiculously small amount at that). Try using a Thermal Expansion energy cell instead (if it should be necessary, convert RF to MJ first using an energy conduit or an Extra Utilities energy node or an Engineer's Toolbox MJ adapter or a Power Converters energy bridge or an EnderIO energy conduit).

Wait..... build craft engines do not properly power build craft machines? I find this hard to believe.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19074 on: November 23, 2014, 06:21:38 pm »

Wait..... build craft engines do not properly power build craft machines? I find this hard to believe.
BC engines and kinesis pipes now work almost exactly like TE dynamos and TE conduits. The only difference is that TE dynamos adjust their output when they store too much energy, while BC engines explode. Note that the only relevant thing that changed from earlier versions is that wooden kinesis pipes no longer accept all the energy produced by the machines, instead accepting only all that is requested. I'll also remind you that pipe gates exist and you can try messing with those to stop your engines from exploding.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19075 on: November 23, 2014, 11:10:32 pm »

But these engines were hooked up to a pipe connected to a quarry. I know the quarry demands more energy than what I provided, and there weren't any blue lines going through the kinesis pipes either.

And the sterling engines were placed directly next to the pump yet pumped at a snail's pace with no water pumping.

If anyone wants to try, I'm using the direwolf's latest FTB pack.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19076 on: November 24, 2014, 02:46:46 am »

I tried it out, it worked without any issues at all. Can you provide a screenshot?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19077 on: November 24, 2014, 02:53:11 am »

Try not to burn things.

It's not players you need to worry about. Those all-wood Chinese-style constructions are just asking for a lightning strike to burn them to the ground.

Also, wow...you guys really like your potatoes, don't you?

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19078 on: November 24, 2014, 09:10:31 am »

Try not to burn things.

It's not players you need to worry about. Those all-wood Chinese-style constructions are just asking for a lightning strike to burn them to the ground.

Also, wow...you guys really like your potatoes, don't you?
Yeah, we kinda do. Not sure if you've seen the plantation yet, however... That took so long to plant fully.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:13:45 am by Projeck37 »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19079 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:28 pm »

I tried it out, it worked without any issues at all. Can you provide a screenshot?

Nah I am too lazy to bother making an account on a site that hosts screenshots. I just switched to thermal expansion power. Thanks for trying though.
Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 1380