Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1269 1270 [1271] 1272 1273 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423069 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19050 on: November 13, 2014, 06:45:46 pm »

-snip-

I've been on the server for a bit now, so I suppose you can call me biased. Well, I'll stick my oar in anyway.
Am I wrong? Did I totally misunderstand policy? You guys were placing beacons and giant zombies and things, you did offer to use the console to spawn villagers, you were talking about handing out perma-creative mode to four players for that city thing that was under discussion.

A single beacon marking the spawn hardly constitutes a reason to be annoyed. As for spawning villagers, well, as mentioned everyone got a single wish as it were, as long as it was wellll within the bounds of reason. Perma-creative mode is not happening. I am one of the people making a city-I am not using creative for a single part of it. If you look at discussion, it was just that-creative mode is off the table for building the city. Giant zombie is a type of mascot, and doesn't effect gameplay at all.

Sometimes there's a difference between gameplay and appearance. The gameplay is surival, utterly and completely barring I think two buildings at spawn. Which, again, are appearance and don't effect gameplay.

mod/console/creative/call-it-what-you-will privileges there. So you have a community patting themselves on the back about how hardcore they are, then using the console to create beacons before they'd even built a nether hub, and generally conjuring stuff out of nowhere. EvilNancy was the person I'd mentioned earlier to offered to spawn villagers for me.

No building whatsoever besides one or two in spawn were created in creative mode. This statement gives a rather misleading sense...the server is not based around patting ourselves on the backs, but rather enjoying the game. We enjoy the game through survival, and so stick to it. You seem to feel the same; it's a pity you found issue with one or two exceedingly rare occurrences.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19051 on: November 13, 2014, 10:18:02 pm »

So, um. Imma fire up a TFC (or maybe something else, but I would prefer TFC) server at some point in the near future, so I'd like to get a general indication of what people would like in that regard. Also a show of interest (as in, who among you is likely to play upon it with a degree of regularity).
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19052 on: November 13, 2014, 11:13:31 pm »

Oh, I'd play a TFC server. I've got a minecraft profile all set up with it.

I'm fine with vanilla TFC.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19053 on: November 14, 2014, 02:10:28 am »

TFC is the really difficult "stone age" type one, right? If so, I'd be interested in joining. I have no experience with it, but I've always wanted to try it. I don't know how often I'd have time to play, but probably at least on weekends and maybe an hour here or there during the week. As I'm not familiar with the modpack except for the things I've seen in videos, I have no opinion about settings, though I would prefer if the monster difficulty were set no higher than normal. I'm terrible at the combat stuff and I might be a bit of a liability if it were set to something difficult. (Even on easy with iron armor I regularly get my ass kicked in regular Minecraft.)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19054 on: November 14, 2014, 02:45:38 am »

Yeah, TFC is the stone age one. It's kinda hardware-intensive, though. Dozens of new block types and all that.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19055 on: November 14, 2014, 02:49:32 am »

Hm. Well, I'd give it a try. And if it doesn't go well, I'm getting a new computer at the beginning of December, so if it's still going then, I'd be able to play for sure.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19056 on: November 14, 2014, 03:03:48 am »

Well, don't worry. Knowing me and getting things started... the server won't even be up until December.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19057 on: November 14, 2014, 05:43:46 am »

TFC is the really difficult "stone age" type one, right? If so, I'd be interested in joining. I have no experience with it, but I've always wanted to try it. I don't know how often I'd have time to play, but probably at least on weekends and maybe an hour here or there during the week. As I'm not familiar with the modpack except for the things I've seen in videos, I have no opinion about settings, though I would prefer if the monster difficulty were set no higher than normal. I'm terrible at the combat stuff and I might be a bit of a liability if it were set to something difficult. (Even on easy with iron armor I regularly get my ass kicked in regular Minecraft.)

TFC makes it so that you basically HAVE to make a weapon, or something that could work as a makeshift one, or else you can basically only use the punch to keep the distance. On the other hand, if you spend enough time in a chunk, monsters will stop spawning there altogether, no matter the light level.

Also, TFC is not a modpack - it's a single, if massive mod, so anything you have seen, unless it was specifically changed in a patch, will remain the same. It's actually not that *difficult*, strictly speaking, you will not see bullshit like the mobs having a zillion hitpoints and 1HKs, but it aims for DF-style hardcore complexity with little abstraction compared to vanilla.

And in case that rant didn't make it obvious, I'd play it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19058 on: November 14, 2014, 03:10:55 pm »

The words "extreme" and "hardcore" have never left my lips in the description of our world and are simply a case of selective interpretation.

...checking the server ads, it's "advanced survival" not "extreme survival" and "hardmode" not "hardcore." So, poor choice of phrasing on my part. It's been a month or two since I actually looked at it.

Perma-creative mode is not happening. I am one of the people making a city-I am not using creative for a single part of it. If you look at discussion, it was just that-creative mode is off the table for building the city.

Well, that's good at least. The way I remember it, it sounded like like exactly the carte-blanch creative mode access for city managers that ENR was saying above didn't happen. So, it didn't happen. That's encouraging.

If I haven't made too much of a nuisance of myself constantly complaining about the policies, I might stop by and visit. Even if I didn't agree with some things, the community on the server was excellent.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19059 on: November 18, 2014, 02:12:01 am »

I've been trying to play the latest Direwolf mod pack on FTB, but it seems that it wants to use up over 7 GB of Ram..... wtf.

Does anyone know how to fix this or even diagnose this? My google-fu has failed me.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19060 on: November 18, 2014, 03:26:44 am »

I've been trying to play the latest Direwolf mod pack on FTB, but it seems that it wants to use up over 7 GB of Ram..... wtf.

Does anyone know how to fix this or even diagnose this? My google-fu has failed me.

Within the launcher, there are settings to cap RAM usage... that's all I got.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19061 on: November 18, 2014, 04:03:10 am »

You could use a JVM argument along the lines of -Xmx4G to set maximum memory usage to four gigabytes before starting Minecraft.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19062 on: November 18, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »

No the problem is that the game lags to a frozen state because it doesn't have enough RAM 0_0

I cannot even play it. I've seen 2-4 GB of RAM be recommended for Direwolf's pack, but this is insane.  want to know what is causing this massive amount of memory hoarding just as the game starts.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19063 on: November 18, 2014, 04:28:20 pm »

Have you tried updating Java?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19064 on: November 18, 2014, 08:09:51 pm »

Well I got it down. Apparently texture packs can double the amount of RAM the game needs.
Pages: 1 ... 1269 1270 [1271] 1272 1273 ... 1380