Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1265 1266 [1267] 1268 1269 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422813 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18990 on: October 12, 2014, 12:10:39 pm »

Ugh. Is it just me, or does the FTB launcher not work when it can't access the internet? Like, 'work' as in launching a pack you've already installed.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18991 on: October 12, 2014, 12:15:10 pm »

Ugh. Is it just me, or does the FTB launcher not work when it can't access the internet? Like, 'work' as in launching a pack you've already installed.
Yeah, last I checked, the launcher doesn't support an offline launch.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18992 on: October 15, 2014, 02:27:46 pm »

Friends, I am having some frustrations. I'm trying to set up a trap that will drop lava on someone when they step on a pressure plate. I have Project Red installed, so I used red alloy wire to link the plates on the floor to the sticky pistons in the ceiling. Stepping on the pressure plates causes the pistons to extend and push the blocks out, so they look like a normal ceiling. What I need to do is invert it so that they start extended, and stepping on the pressure plates causes them to retract. This is where the problem lies.

No matter what I do, I can't get this to happen. I can put a redstone torch along the red wire line in between the pressure plates and the pistons, causing the pistons to start extended, but then stepping on the pressure plates doesn't do anything. They just stay where they are. I've looked up a few tutorials, and it seems that this should work... but it doesn't.

I thought that maybe it's because I'm using wire instead of regular redstone, so I tried using redstone, but it won't work. I can't place the redstone on any of the blocks I need to use. I have no idea why.

Please help... I'm trying to make something epic for everyone to enjoy, but this piece of it is critical!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18993 on: October 15, 2014, 02:38:34 pm »

repeater pointing to block, torch on other side of block, run redstone from plate to repeater and from torch to piston?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18994 on: October 15, 2014, 02:41:41 pm »

So. You ever balls it up so badly in a modpack with the HQM mod that you have to start over? I did. Lost the first dragon egg in Material Energy^3. I'm surprised I didn't wake the whole neighbourhood up via screaming

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18995 on: October 15, 2014, 04:41:35 pm »

Friends, I am having some frustrations. I'm trying to set up a trap that will drop lava on someone when they step on a pressure plate. I have Project Red installed, so I used red alloy wire to link the plates on the floor to the sticky pistons in the ceiling. Stepping on the pressure plates causes the pistons to extend and push the blocks out, so they look like a normal ceiling. What I need to do is invert it so that they start extended, and stepping on the pressure plates causes them to retract. This is where the problem lies.

No matter what I do, I can't get this to happen. I can put a redstone torch along the red wire line in between the pressure plates and the pistons, causing the pistons to start extended, but then stepping on the pressure plates doesn't do anything. They just stay where they are. I've looked up a few tutorials, and it seems that this should work... but it doesn't.

I thought that maybe it's because I'm using wire instead of regular redstone, so I tried using redstone, but it won't work. I can't place the redstone on any of the blocks I need to use. I have no idea why.

Please help... I'm trying to make something epic for everyone to enjoy, but this piece of it is critical!
Spoiler: Redstone inverter (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18996 on: October 15, 2014, 04:50:57 pm »

Friends, I am having some frustrations.
You have Project Red? In that case, just craft a NOT gate or a NOR gate. It will invert the signal for you, and you can also place it on walls and ceilings.

Lava from the ceiling? Sounds like everyone would enjoy that  :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:52:58 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18997 on: October 15, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »

I remember playing an old modpack with Dimensional Doors but without RedPower or any simulacrum and having to manually set up a xor gate for my minecart to and from the mines... which goes up 20 y-levels in an elevator.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18998 on: October 16, 2014, 01:09:44 am »

Thanks for all the responses guys. I forgot that Project Red has all those fancy programming blocks. That will probably be the easiest way to do it. The wires are so easy to run, but I've never really done much with vanilla redstone and I just get totally lost trying to understand how it works. In particular, I can't understand how to connect pressure pads on the floor to redstone underneath. No matter where I try to put it, it doesn't seem to work. It just stays in my hand, won't let me put it on the blocks. I can only put it on blocks which are too far away to connect to the pressure plates.

In any case, Project Red should save me here. I'll give it a try and if it works, you'll know when my next video comes out (hopefully this weekend).

I'm having another glitch as well, though. Maybe you guys will be able to help. I have a load of mods installed. One of them is Thaumcraft, and another is Wild Caves, both of which cause special plants to spawn (the blaze powder flowers and quicksilver flowers, the glowing underground plants). They all appear normally in my game, but when I mouse over them, they vanish. I can't harvest them. They just disappear. I figured there was probably some kind of conflict between some of the mods I have installed, and decided to just let it go, since I don't desperately need either of those things. But just this past weekend, I got my mom to install the same pack of mods I'm using. She has all the same ones as me, with all the configuration files the same, but when we played together, the plants glitched for me but not for her. She was able to harvest quicksilver, no problem. Also, when we found a greatwood tree, when I looked at the leaves, they turned into silverwood leaves for me. This didn't happen when she looked at them. They were fine for her. (This doesn't happen when I play single player; it only happened when we did LAN play, with her as the host.)

So obviously there's something wrong with my installation which isn't wrong with hers. Any idea what kind of errors would cause this to happen? I suppose I can try making a fresh installation with the exact files I sent my mom, and see what happens (and try to transfer my saved world over), but I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out what's going on.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18999 on: October 16, 2014, 01:18:09 am »

It seems to be a problem with WAILA or some similar mod when I play...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19000 on: October 16, 2014, 01:36:38 am »

Oh hey... I do have that mod, and I love it, but actually, when I played with my mom, she said it wasn't working. So maybe that is the issue. Man, do I have to get rid of it? That mod is so great... Although sometimes I think maybe it's not great for filming, since I also have harvestcraft and most of the growing plants are undefined.

Hm... I just went to remove it, and... it's not in my mods folder. Is it the NEI Plugins mod? Are there any other plugins I might lose if I remove that one?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #19001 on: October 16, 2014, 02:45:18 am »

Check your NEI options ingame, in the world section of their options menu. There should be something like 'Item Highlight Tips'  IIRC it causes the same issue. As far as I'm aware it's a purely graphical thing though, the plants are still there, just not rendering properly.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #19002 on: October 16, 2014, 05:25:47 am »

* II checks his wallet.

Uhm. I might be able to get hosting for a server. Depends on the pricing, really.
How much are you willing to spend? http://mineserv.eu/ has a $2 server with 5 slots and 450 MB of RAM.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19003 on: October 16, 2014, 06:19:49 am »

it has limited transfer, which is in most cases plainly unacceptable

cap's 150gb though

how much bandwidth does minecraft even /use/

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19004 on: October 16, 2014, 10:44:48 am »

OK, I'm getting even more frustrated now. I tried using NOT and NOR games, but neither one worked. Please, for the love of all the expensive things I own that I will smash if I can't get this working, help me.

I have a line of red alloy wire running from the pressure plates to the pistons above. When I step on the pads, the pistons extend. I tried breaking part of the line and replacing it with a NOT gate. The pistons start out extended, but when I step on the plates, they don't retract. I tried a NOR gate, same result. What the flipping flip do I need to do here? How is this so difficult to set up?
Pages: 1 ... 1265 1266 [1267] 1268 1269 ... 1380