Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422981 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18825 on: September 17, 2014, 10:12:51 am »

A 'superior clone' of Minecraft doesn't have the brand recognition of minecraft itself, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18826 on: September 17, 2014, 10:22:50 am »

A 'superior clone' of Minecraft doesn't have the brand recognition of minecraft itself, though.

Clones have not done all that well. Not well enough for an international corporation. It also wouldn't have the tax write-off capacity of a US company buying a Swedish company.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18827 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:27 am »

All the clones I have seen have been inferior to the original imo, so no wonder they never replaced it.

Interesting point about the tax evasion move. If true, that's pretty hilarious.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18828 on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:58 am »

It's not like the minecraft players would shun a better game of this style if there was one available.
they actually do shun clones.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18829 on: September 17, 2014, 12:21:06 pm »

The vocal minority will, but do you really think the bulk of the player would stay faithful to the minecraft brand if a superior game existed? That's just madness.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18830 on: September 17, 2014, 12:39:55 pm »

The vocal minority will, but do you really think the bulk of the player would stay faithful to the minecraft brand if a superior game existed? That's just madness.

Just to put in my two cents, "Superior" is a relative term, personally I believe many superior "minecraft clones" exist. The only real appeal of MC is it's mod support that younger games haven't really figured out yet or are still working on.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18831 on: September 17, 2014, 12:59:13 pm »

Actually, one thing I'm hoping is they put more (good) devs onto this with Jeb's guidance, since Jeb'll probably keep it on track.
I thought everyone hated Jeb for steering Mineraft's development in a poor direction?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18832 on: September 17, 2014, 01:36:59 pm »

I preferred the terrain before biomes were even a thing.

Interesting and memorable landforms were a thing that existed without having to be hardcoded in to exist, like ravines are.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18833 on: September 17, 2014, 01:49:51 pm »

It's got a lot better about generating interesting terrain though, I'm often struck by the beauty of the taiga biomes in particular. Using a really nice texture pack helps too, I suppose.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18834 on: September 17, 2014, 01:57:21 pm »

That, and custom worldgen. It can produce some pretty insane stuff.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18835 on: September 17, 2014, 02:15:39 pm »

Interesting and memorable landforms were a thing that existed without having to be hardcoded in to exist, like ravines are.
Old worldgen used Perlin Noise.
R.I.P.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18836 on: September 17, 2014, 02:21:36 pm »

I'm so spoiled by Biomes O'Plenty and HarvestCraft, whenever I play a vanilla world it all just looks so boring...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18837 on: September 17, 2014, 02:28:15 pm »

R.I.P.
Is, uh...
Is that significant?

I don't really know since I have no idea how worldgen works now, or how Perlin noise specifically would be better than other randomness for Minecraft world generating.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18838 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:44 pm »

Actually, one thing I'm hoping is they put more (good) devs onto this with Jeb's guidance, since Jeb'll probably keep it on track.
I thought everyone hated Jeb for steering Mineraft's development in a poor direction?
I like the direction Jeb is/has been going, which seems to be encouraging exploration. With all the new biomes, some of which are fairly rare, you kind of have to go exploring to get all the materials and resources present therein.
I also remember Notch saying that he would never add stained glass, and Jeb added it in his first update.

I'm so spoiled by Biomes O'Plenty and HarvestCraft, whenever I play a vanilla world it all just looks so boring...
This. I know the feeling all too well. That said, I do enjoy playing with vanila terrain generation every so often, especially in 1.7. The vanilla stuff seems better... balanced, I guess, than most modded stuff? I don't really know how to express it.

R.I.P.
Is, uh...
Is that significant?

I don't really know since I have no idea how worldgen works now, or how Perlin noise specifically would be better than other randomness for Minecraft world generating.
Minecraft uses a combination of three-dimensional noise and... some other stuff that I don't recall. It definitely uses noise, though.

Also, ravines are terrible. Screw ravines, I hate 'em.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18839 on: September 17, 2014, 06:28:23 pm »

I like the direction Jeb is/has been going, which seems to be encouraging exploration. With all the new biomes, some of which are fairly rare, you kind of have to go exploring to get all the materials and resources present therein.
The thing that annoys me about vanilla is that only just gets you new decorations, for the most part. And you still have to dig most of that out block-by-block.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 1380