Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423208 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18750 on: September 15, 2014, 02:10:52 pm »

Statistic say there are less than 20 million users.

https://minecraft.net/stats

That's a lot in capes to sell (if stat page were accurate I admit it seems low)
That's only PC users, counting consoles and android there's more than 54 million copies sold. That doesn't mean 54 million users however, as the most sold version is the $6 portable one, which is likely owned in addition to the PC/console version by a lot of people.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #18751 on: September 15, 2014, 03:25:53 pm »

Okay, there seems to be a current thread of discussion going on, but I kinda have a question: Anybody here know the ins and outs of 1.8's customized worldgen thing? Trying to make a flooded sort of map that doesn't go to the insane levels of the water world preset. Just something I could use for an adventure map. Sea level's not an issue so much as biome stuff (Trying to cut out cold ones) and having consistent 'shallows'.

Try this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as for the nixing the cold biomes, you can either have just one type or all types. Unfortunately, you can't cherry pick them, however. Using "fixedBiome":6 would generate a Swampland only world that would meet your criteria for a warm, shallowly flooded map.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18752 on: September 15, 2014, 03:40:33 pm »

Expansion packs based off licensed stuff, merchandising, cartoons, there's a lot they could do.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18753 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:27 pm »

Okay, there seems to be a current thread of discussion going on, but I kinda have a question: Anybody here know the ins and outs of 1.8's customized worldgen thing? Trying to make a flooded sort of map that doesn't go to the insane levels of the water world preset. Just something I could use for an adventure map. Sea level's not an issue so much as biome stuff (Trying to cut out cold ones) and having consistent 'shallows'.

Try this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as for the nixing the cold biomes, you can either have just one type or all types. Unfortunately, you can't cherry pick them, however. Using "fixedBiome":6 would generate a Swampland only world that would meet your criteria for a warm, shallowly flooded map.
I actually managed to get a decent map on my own. No nearby frozen areas, etc. Decent shallowness (Still in the 30-40 block range, but still. Better than 100 blocks. :V). Currently putting together a ship of sorts for the whole thing to start on.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:19:20 pm by Vorthon »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18754 on: September 15, 2014, 03:51:55 pm »

Alright, I've got it. The next update is obvious:
"ALL NEW! Now you can craft your very own XBOX ONE™ ingame! Play very fun games like HALO 5™ and more!"

But more seriously, I'd just expect smaller things like mojang accounts/whatever being switched to Microsoft accounts, a MS logo when starting up.
Maybe a bigger team. That would actually be nice (probably), seeing how long they took for 1.8.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18755 on: September 15, 2014, 04:51:03 pm »

So thirty pieces of silver is 2.5 billion now. Inflation, huh?
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18756 on: September 15, 2014, 05:29:14 pm »

You're not accounting for the fact that a single silver coin (about 1 oz., which sells for roughly $20.72) is slightly more valuable than a dollar.  Doing a quick, rough estimate of dollars to silver and we get 120,656,370.65 silver coins.  Roughly 7.5 million pounds of silver.

Betrayal got expensive, man.

... Suddenly I'm curious as to how many blocks of silver in Minecraft that would equate to.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18757 on: September 15, 2014, 05:31:43 pm »

Which mods' silver? I bet theres at least two mods that use it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18758 on: September 15, 2014, 05:35:45 pm »

I'm... Not sure that would matter.  Wouldn't you just get the weight of pure silver and calculate the weight of one meter cube with it?  Hold on and I'll go find out, roughly, what that would equate to.

EDIT:  If I did my math correctly, which I'm not quite certain I did, one cubic meter of silver is roughly 23255.81 lbs.  So if we take the earlier 7.5 million (7,541,023.17) lbs of silver that Microsoft bought Mojang for, the number of silver blocks it took for the purchase is about 324.26.

... I'm pretty sure there's someone, somewhere who has played enough modded Minecraft to have that and much, much more just lying in an ME system somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:46:25 pm by Karkov »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18759 on: September 15, 2014, 06:05:05 pm »

I doubt Microsoft would even add paid DLC. By now, they should know enough to not screw up something which they just paid an extreme amount of money for.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18760 on: September 15, 2014, 06:11:03 pm »

Crappy Math time with Levi!

2.5 billion dollars.  Minecraft.

Lets say they make a Minecraft 2.

They would need to sell 42 million copies of Minecraft 2 at 60 dollars a copy to recoup that cost(not including development of MC2).   
Minecraft sold 52 million copies (estimated according to wikipedia).

So the way I see it, is selling that many copies at 60 dollars seems unlikely, so they pretty much either are hoping for a LONG running minecraft franchise or a Minecraft 2 with lots of expansions/dlc/microtransactions.

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18761 on: September 15, 2014, 06:13:28 pm »

Crappy Math time with Levi!

2.5 billion dollars.  Minecraft.

Lets say they make a Minecraft 2.

They would need to sell 42 million copies of Minecraft 2 at 60 dollars a copy to recoup that cost(not including development of MC2).   
Minecraft sold 52 million copies (estimated according to wikipedia).

So the way I see it, is selling that many copies at 60 dollars seems unlikely, so they pretty much either are hoping for a LONG running minecraft franchise or a Minecraft 2 with lots of expansions/dlc/microtransactions.

That's the same thing that comes to mind for me. Ignoring any ethical questions or concerns about what Microsoft is gonna do wit the game, it doesn't make any business sense from their perspective unless they have a really awesome plan that they haven't let us in on.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18762 on: September 15, 2014, 06:18:43 pm »

That sounds a little convoluted to be an effective marketing strategy. And reputation doesn't change because you spent two and a half billion on it. Then you just became the guy who spent two and a half billion trying to change your reputation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18763 on: September 15, 2014, 06:31:16 pm »

To note, Minecraft is actually getting used in schools as a teaching tool as well. Maybe that's Microsoft's angle. Right now you just buy the alpha and pfffttt. Imagine licensing fees for non-private use. Imagine all the shenanigans MS can engage in with their own Minecraft servers running in their cloud. Maybe they think they can leverage a lot out of it on XboxLive. I don't think it all equals $2.5 billion, that number still boggles the mind. But there's more ways to make money on MC than just selling the title to a public who, I'd think, is already quite saturated by it.

Having never played MC nor really felt the desire to, it seems very strange to me all around. But maybe I don't get how popular it is/can still be, despite reading all the news about it. Still, I'd think what's popular about MC is that it's open, fan-driven and managed for the most part. People like having their own Minecraft servers. Adding MS into the mix, a lot of that disappears. Now you're not playing "teh peoples" game, now you're playing MS's game. That's probably arbitrary in the end, but still. It's a decision and an amount on MS's part that has me confused.

Having a boss who owns his own company and has thought about what his magical number for selling out is, maybe Mojang just said something absurd and MS took it whole hog. But given how much he's acted like being successful has been a burden, who knows.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:38:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18764 on: September 15, 2014, 06:31:49 pm »

Yes, but I don't see a way they can get back a 2.5 billion dollar investment through minecraft alone.

Unless it's... oh god, they're artificially inflating it to drive speculation! It's actually Zimbabwe dollars!
Nah, you'd probably need at least three more zeroes to count it in zimbabwe dollars :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 1380