Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 [1248] 1249 1250 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423343 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18705 on: September 11, 2014, 02:08:29 pm »

At $15 apiece, microsoft would need to multiply minecraft playerbase by a little bit more than three.
Good luck selling those ~120 million copies.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18706 on: September 11, 2014, 02:12:37 pm »

Bloomberg reported this too, roughly at the same time as WSJ.

No, Bloomberg was a day after, as is stated when they cite/link the WSJ article.  (in the middle paragraph saying no comments were made when solicited)

The digging folks have done in Notch's tweets shows the faintest shred of plausibility to the idea.  However, until an official announcement is made (or a refutation), those tweets don't mean the deal is actually going down.  People say all sorts of shit on Twitter all the time.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18707 on: September 11, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »

At $15 apiece, microsoft would need to multiply minecraft playerbase by a little bit more than three.
Good luck selling those ~120 million copies.

Asssuming that the only way to get revenue from Minecraft is through game sales, just like Pokemon.

wait shit

Seriously, not an exaggeration: Minecraft is bigger than Pokemon ever was. Someone in a good enough marketing mindset can make a fortune from toys and other things. Perhaps they could sell professionally-made adventure maps on the Xbox One as DLC, with themed blocks coming with them. Lots of options that aren't just "sell more copies".

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #18708 on: September 11, 2014, 03:54:58 pm »

I don't see microsoft making a billion dollars in legos and t-shirts.
Even if they manage to double mojang's net income it'll take them a decade to turn a profit.

And I very much doubt that minecraft is "bigger than pokemon ever was". Pokemon is much older, sold more copies overall, left a bigger imprint on the collective consciousness, have more derived products, and several films, animated series and even P&P RPGs.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18709 on: September 11, 2014, 04:01:43 pm »

Pokemon has at least as many movies as there are Final Fantasy games, last I'd checked. While I don't know of the quality of the more recent ones than Movie 2000, I'd say thats a bit more of an impact than minecraft.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18710 on: September 11, 2014, 04:19:04 pm »

Bloomberg reported this too, roughly at the same time as WSJ.

No, Bloomberg was a day after, as is stated when they cite/link the WSJ article.  (in the middle paragraph saying no comments were made when solicited)

The digging folks have done in Notch's tweets shows the faintest shred of plausibility to the idea.  However, until an official announcement is made (or a refutation), those tweets don't mean the deal is actually going down.  People say all sorts of shit on Twitter all the time.

I'll say that the silence coming out of Mojang/Notch says a lot as well. If this were really just someone trying to stir up something it wouldn't take all that long to hear a refutation. Only way I can think of this not being a real thing at the moment is if there WERE talks about it in the past which fell apart, but some sort of non-disclosure still exists between the two companies which makes it hard to say anything to confirm or deny.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18711 on: September 11, 2014, 04:24:34 pm »

Pokemon has at least as many movies as there are Final Fantasy games, last I'd checked. While I don't know of the quality of the more recent ones than Movie 2000, I'd say thats a bit more of an impact than minecraft.

That's because The Pokemon Company has actually put effort into making Pokemon a gigantic multimedia franchise. I'm trying to say that Minecraft--on games sales alone, considering only individual generations (as combining them all is obviously going to have quite a few overlap sales)--is bigger than Pokemon, and if that popularity were to be exploited it could make a far bigger franchise.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18712 on: September 11, 2014, 11:18:01 pm »

Honestly, I think Google would do better owning Minecraft than Microsoft. At least Google tries to look nice and friendly.
Yes, but google would implement shitty useless 'updates' that make it more and more obtuse as time goes on.

e opens up the screen that lets you choose between inventory and main menu.

Inventory lets you pick between wood-related blocks, stone-related blocks etc.
Then you select the block you want out of those categories.
Then you go back through the menus and put it in the crafting square.
Then you go through the menus to get the rest of the stuff.
Then you get the tool.
Then you go through the menus to equip it.
Then you start starving.
Then by the time you grab the porkchop, you've died of starvation.
And Microsoft wouldn't do that?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18713 on: September 11, 2014, 11:32:48 pm »

If a big company like Google or Microsoft bought Mojang, chances are we wouldn't see any real differences in the gameplay other than "connect your Minecraft account with your Microsoft account!!!!!" and you would just see more 'big picture' type things such as Minecraft being removed from the PS4, a push in merchandise, free copy of MC with Windows 8, MC on Microsoft's store/whatever it's called, etc.

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #18714 on: September 12, 2014, 12:23:14 am »

It's funny how people are getting so worked up about this. Like if Microsoft buys this, they're going to throw out all the original developers and install new ones with a different vision that gets orders from higher-ups with no knowledge of game design. I highly doubt they'd do anything stupid to Minecraft aside from making you sign in through their own game service. I could be wrong, but we just have to wait and see where they're going with this.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18715 on: September 12, 2014, 12:38:41 am »

Yes but pokemon is adorable, and minecraft has no pikachu, that is all.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18716 on: September 12, 2014, 12:42:03 am »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18717 on: September 12, 2014, 12:58:58 am »

you will see at least one of these wherever children gather

this child is a child

it is hardly adorable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18718 on: September 12, 2014, 01:03:04 am »

ignore the child

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18719 on: September 12, 2014, 01:04:58 am »

It has bunnies. Which are amazingly hard to kill. And keep out of carrot patches.
Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 [1248] 1249 1250 ... 1380