Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1235 1236 [1237] 1238 1239 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424324 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18540 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:11 pm »

Well, that's old-school modding for you :P.

Random Modding Fact of the Day: If you give the game a folder with a name ending in .jar, the game will think it's an archive. You can use this to decompress the game files to make them easier to get to.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:44:05 pm by Remuthra »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18541 on: August 28, 2014, 01:51:36 pm »

Oh, wait. Ha! MultiMC actually contains a button that you can click to install Forge. Well that simplifies things a little.

Step by baby step....

It would be helpful if there were any instructions or help whatsoever available for this program, but since everyone in the universe except for me apparently has the ability to reverse-engineer software or psychically know what needs to be done, I guess they didn't think that would be necessary.

Now, to install the Life in the Woods mods, then Optifine... That last step has me worried... Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Woods mods seem to have been added correctly. Not sure about Optifine, though. It seems I can't simply put the .jar in the mods folder. That definitely doesn't work. The Optifine installer only seems to work on the official launcher. No way to change the directory. ARGH. Help?

EDIT2: Nope. Tried following a tutorial to install Optifine using MultiMC and it doesn't work. The game crashes immediately when I try to open it. BALLS. I think I might go to bed and try to look at this again in the morning... Any help would be oh-so-greatly appreciated... Thanks guys.

EDIT3: AHA! I tried a different version of OF and it worked! I guess there was just something wrong with that file. Naturally, I have spent my entire evening and night working on this, and now have no time to actually *play* the game. Le sigh. Tomorrow!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:34:31 pm by Sappho »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18542 on: August 28, 2014, 02:36:08 pm »

I'll download MultiMC and see if I can figure it out. I've been using the "moving mods folder around" method since forever.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18543 on: August 28, 2014, 02:38:32 pm »

Was the Optifine archive you used for the right version of Minecraft :P?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18544 on: August 28, 2014, 02:40:07 pm »

I'll download MultiMC and see if I can figure it out. I've been using the "moving mods folder around" method since forever.

I must have edited just before you posted: I finally got it working! I downloaded the standard version of OptiFine, rather than the light version I had been trying to use, and it worked at last. Huzzah!

Next step, for tomorrow: See if I can get shaders working. I MUST MAKE PRETTY VIDEOS! First thing in the morning... Erm, after work... Gah, it's gonna be a long day...

Yes. > : P

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18545 on: August 28, 2014, 02:41:59 pm »

My best guess is that the versions of Optifine and Forge were incompatible, then. That happens occasionally.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18546 on: August 28, 2014, 02:43:12 pm »

My best guess is that the versions of Optifine and Forge were incompatible, then. That happens occasionally.

Hmm... Possible. At least I found a version that works. Fingers crossed that it makes a difference to my computer's ability to handle making the game shiny.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18547 on: August 28, 2014, 02:44:50 pm »

I must have edited just before you posted: I finally got it working! I downloaded the standard version of OptiFine, rather than the light version I had been trying to use, and it worked at last. Huzzah!
"Right after" meaning "about two minutes"? Nah, I'm just bad at reading. Still, I can't download it anyway. Lousy slow Internet.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18548 on: August 29, 2014, 08:34:17 am »

New question: I know it's possible to mod the game somehow so that the sun slowly damages the player, because there used to be Dunecraft servers that had that as a feature (though they all seem to be dead). Does anyone know how to do this? Is it simple? I'd like to do a "Dune" challenge series, but I really want the sun to cause damage to me over time.

Thanks guys!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18549 on: August 29, 2014, 08:42:01 am »

There's a mod called Enviromine that causes overheating and dehydration, and I recall a mod somewhere which simulated the overworld and the sun drawing closer, eventually causing damage if outside during the day, among other things. Alternatively, you can use a command block to call for the player being at certain position ranges at certain times, and inflict damage by various methods, or you could mod it into the code yourself, since this is pretty simple as far as additions go.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18550 on: August 29, 2014, 08:43:47 am »

ptw
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18551 on: August 29, 2014, 08:56:21 am »

There's a mod called Enviromine that causes overheating and dehydration, and I recall a mod somewhere which simulated the overworld and the sun drawing closer, eventually causing damage if outside during the day, among other things. Alternatively, you can use a command block to call for the player being at certain position ranges at certain times, and inflict damage by various methods, or you could mod it into the code yourself, since this is pretty simple as far as additions go.

Hm... Some parts of this EnviroMine look useful, but not all. I might try to pick it apart and take only the pieces I need... And add one or two of my own... It may be time for me to learn how to mod!

Specifically, I want to keep the hydration and temperature, but lose the sanity and other parts. And I want to add a piece of equipment, a stillsuit, which will negate the hydration issue... Something for the future, probably, since I already have too much on my plate at the moment.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18552 on: August 29, 2014, 09:28:31 am »

I'd think a command block argument would be easiest, but there doesn't appear to be any way to select players by sunlight level.
If you're planning on modding, Sappho, I wish you luck. I was never any good with modding Minecraft. Mostly because Java is a vile abomination, but eh.

Anyway, I downloaded that Life in the Woods pack (finally) after I read it was supposed to be about "living in harmony with nature" and "manual farming".
In other words, I'm going to exploit the shit out of nature, and automatically farm everything possible.

I decided the Hunger Overhaul mod could wait until I actually had food. In the mean time, I set up a bunch of fields for various plants, and an apple farm. Yay for hoppers and apple trees periodically dropping apples, I guess.
I found a village a minute or so from my base. I imprisoned two of the villagers so I could set up an iron farm later, killed the rest, looted their stuff, and burned their homes.
Later, while following a river looking for reeds, I came across a bunch treehouse things with monster spawners inside. The spawners spawn crazy naked men who move very slowly and drop bones. That's ~5 spawners close enough together for a farm, spawning 1-3 naked men each every few seconds, who each drop 2-ish bones... Ridiculous bone farm coming up.
* II cackles madly!

I'll take some screenshots once I've made some more progress to show you guys.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18553 on: August 29, 2014, 09:47:48 am »

I'd think a command block argument would be easiest, but there doesn't appear to be any way to select players by sunlight level.
If you're planning on modding, Sappho, I wish you luck. I was never any good with modding Minecraft. Mostly because Java is a vile abomination, but eh.

Anyway, I downloaded that Life in the Woods pack (finally) after I read it was supposed to be about "living in harmony with nature" and "manual farming".
In other words, I'm going to exploit the shit out of nature, and automatically farm everything possible.

I decided the Hunger Overhaul mod could wait until I actually had food. In the mean time, I set up a bunch of fields for various plants, and an apple farm. Yay for hoppers and apple trees periodically dropping apples, I guess.
I found a village a minute or so from my base. I imprisoned two of the villagers so I could set up an iron farm later, killed the rest, looted their stuff, and burned their homes.
Later, while following a river looking for reeds, I came across a bunch treehouse things with monster spawners inside. The spawners spawn crazy naked men who move very slowly and drop bones. That's ~5 spawners close enough together for a farm, spawning 1-3 naked men each every few seconds, who each drop 2-ish bones... Ridiculous bone farm coming up.
* II cackles madly!

Death has come to the woods.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18554 on: August 29, 2014, 10:06:33 am »

* II cackles madly!

Ha. Have fun!

I like the hunger overhaul because it makes my hunger go down even in peaceful mode. And there's not much use saving the hunger overhaul for when you already have food - the challenge of it is *getting* enough food to stay alive before you manage to establish a functional farm. It also makes all crops grow 4x slower, so it's actually quite difficult to keep up.

My current goal is to make avocado burritos. For this, I need corn, which takes ages to grow. Also, I need to get some avocado trees growing, which will surely also take forever. The one thing I haven't managed is potatoes and carrots, since they can still only be found in NPC villages. The only village I've found didn't have any, and I've explored for several hours without finding another one. : / I may slightly cheat one of each in, just so my garden can be complete... I must grow ALL the foods...
Pages: 1 ... 1235 1236 [1237] 1238 1239 ... 1380