Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1227 1228 [1229] 1230 1231 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424651 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18420 on: July 31, 2014, 03:44:11 am »

I do NOT know what I'm doing with hardware. I have opened the computer several times (breaking off several parts of the casing in the process, since it's designed not to be opened). There is no dust inside at all. I don't even know what thermal paste is or where it goes. I wouldn't know how to buy it (in Czech) or how much it costs or where to even find it. I've already spent about a year trying different ways to keep the computer cool, but it all comes down to the fact that the computer is a pile of garbage. I'm buying a new one in two or three months. I'm not going to invest anymore in this piece of crap.

My current setup is this:

1. overturned cardboard box (about 6 in. high) on top of wooden desk (has holes in it, air passes freely through the box)
2. cooling pad on top of cardboard box, with USB-powered fan
3. 4 small empty tomato paste cans on the corners of the cooling pad, taped down
4. laptop perched atop the cans (using blue tack to hold it in place) with a good 2 in. of space underneath for air to circulate

If I put my hand under the computer, it's cold. Even the bottom surface of the computer is cold, even when the machine is overheating. The heat comes off the top. If I touch the top of the keyboard area (I use a USB keyboard now so I don't have to do this), it burns my hand if I'm running a game. It's not even hot in my apartment.

I'm done trying to fix this thing. It is not worth fixing. I am buying a new computer. I actually find it kind of amusing that every time I mention an overheating computer anywhere on B12, several people immediately start trying to fix the problem, skipping over the part where I've had my fill of wrestling with this thing and have already decided to buy a new one soon. : ) I'm getting a desktop this time. One with good reviews, designed for gaming. I'm looking forward to it.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18421 on: July 31, 2014, 03:48:27 am »

Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18422 on: July 31, 2014, 04:07:12 am »

Sorry for beating a dead horse Sappho, good luck with the new computer.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18423 on: July 31, 2014, 05:42:40 am »

Thermal paste is the stuff that connects the heat pipe and the CPU/GPU. If it's broken or w/e heat wont transfer properly and your computer will overheat really easily.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18424 on: August 01, 2014, 03:37:43 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5R9oPRTnGs&list=UUMeRGD4E9iFu7VHLCFf3YNg
Informational video about minecraft giraffes
I thought the crotch levers were a nice touch.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18425 on: August 01, 2014, 01:10:45 pm »

Newbie question! I've spent a few hours crafting a skin from scratch. I noticed in the editor that there's a skin layer as well as an "armor" layer. However, the armor doesn't show in the game. How do you make that show up? Does it replace the in-game armor? I'm confused about that. Thanks!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18426 on: August 01, 2014, 01:11:51 pm »

Newbie question! I've spent a few hours crafting a skin from scratch. I noticed in the editor that there's a skin layer as well as an "armor" layer. However, the armor doesn't show in the game. How do you make that show up? Does it replace the in-game armor? I'm confused about that. Thanks!
I don't know much about it, but I do know that it doesn't replace ingame armour.

I think it's just a second layer. If you could link the editor, that would be great.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18427 on: August 01, 2014, 01:16:41 pm »

I used the McSkin 3d editor. Other editors I've looked at seem to edit the "armor" layer as well, but it doesn't show up when I play the game. It's a shame, because it actually looks really cool in the editor.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/skins/1218812-mcskin-3d

Maybe I need a mod for the extra layers to show?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18428 on: August 01, 2014, 01:18:31 pm »

I used the McSkin 3d editor. Other editors I've looked at seem to edit the "armor" layer as well, but it doesn't show up when I play the game. It's a shame, because it actually looks really cool in the editor.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/skins/1218812-mcskin-3d

The armor layer is only shown if you set the armor for each body part on in the settings for yourself.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18429 on: August 01, 2014, 01:22:59 pm »

The armor layer is only shown if you set the armor for each body part on in the settings for yourself.

Hmm.... How do I do that?

I also found a thread on Reddit where someone said the armor layer doesn't show in first person, that it only appears when other people look at you. Can anyone confirm that?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18430 on: August 01, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »

It should be in the same part of the options as "Show Cape", I think? I've never used the new skin mechanics myself.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18431 on: August 01, 2014, 01:26:27 pm »

The only option I can find is "show cape." It's checked already. Still no armor layer, even when I change the camera with F5. : (

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18432 on: August 01, 2014, 01:31:58 pm »

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/14w03a

Found the problem. The new skin setup in question is being released for 1.8.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18433 on: August 01, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »

Aha. That explains it, thanks. Is there any estimate about when this version will come? Layered skins will be cool. : )
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:36:18 pm by Sappho »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18434 on: August 01, 2014, 01:35:55 pm »

Should be sometime in the next couple of months, I estimate. Developers run on Valve time. You can use the new skin features in the snapshots, though, albeit with major instability problems.
Pages: 1 ... 1227 1228 [1229] 1230 1231 ... 1380