Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424763 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18405 on: July 30, 2014, 06:19:51 am »

Aha, it does work! Hooray!

I never realized installing mods was so complicated. But I figured it out now. Off to make a new let's play...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18406 on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:06 am »

I have to set all my graphics options to the lowest possible settings, otherwise my computer rapidly overheats and the game lags and freezes. So that will have to wait until I get my new one, I think.

This Millenaire mod is pretty excellent, I have to say. Adds a lot of personality and life to the world, and gives you a lot to do.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18407 on: July 30, 2014, 09:04:19 am »

They got to 1.7.10?

...did people who don't know how version numbering works complain as much as they did about the theoretical beta 1.10?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18408 on: July 30, 2014, 10:34:26 am »

They got to 1.7.10?

...did people who don't know how version numbering works complain as much as they did about the theoretical beta 1.10?
Yes. They did. I can't wait until 1.10.10.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18409 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:20 am »

They got to 1.7.10?

Yes. They did. I can't wait until 1.10.10.
That could be entertaining indeed.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18410 on: July 30, 2014, 11:30:41 am »

I have to set all my graphics options to the lowest possible settings, otherwise my computer rapidly overheats and the game lags and freezes. So that will have to wait until I get my new one, I think.

This Millenaire mod is pretty excellent, I have to say. Adds a lot of personality and life to the world, and gives you a lot to do.
As I said, optifine optimises minecraft. It tends to double framerate, and can go further if you put on the fast math.

Okay, I just downloaded the "light" version. It'll be great if it speeds up the game. The Millenaire mod is a bit laggy.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18411 on: July 30, 2014, 11:51:16 am »

I had a server with it about...a year ago? It worked fine.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18412 on: July 30, 2014, 12:59:31 pm »

Well I was confused, since on some sites I see it being listed as a mod for 1.7.10, but the link from those sites sends me to the main page of millenaire.
Not to patronise, but be careful about sites that list downloads for mods. You get some that lure people in with versions of the mod for the most recent MC updates that just don't work or install malware.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18413 on: July 30, 2014, 02:11:56 pm »

This was a link to the official site. No worries.

The optifine thing doesn't seem to be helping matters, and I'm getting spikes of lag now and then (single player), so I think it probably doesn't agree with Millenaire. Oh, well.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18414 on: July 30, 2014, 02:14:08 pm »

It might be it being the light version possibly. Have you tried the standard version? (Could be it not agreeing with millenaire too, yes.)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18415 on: July 30, 2014, 02:15:43 pm »

It says the light version is just the optimization stuff, with the HD stuff removed. I'm using vanilla textures and all that, so I figure I don't need the HD parts of it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18416 on: July 30, 2014, 09:07:28 pm »

You might have problems with your computer passing minecraft off to software rendering rather than hardware rendering, I have that problem and in fact still have it because my GPU refuses to minecraft at all. My solution was to crack open my laptop and change the thermal paste, blow out the dust, and eventually I'm adding fans inside the case that blow over the top of the heatpipes and ram...
But you might check to see if you can fix the problem wit ha few clicks, what brand GPU are you using?
If it's NVIDIA like mine: rightclick desktop, click NVIDIA control panel, click manage 3d settings, on global settings make sure it's set to "high performance NVIDIa processor" rather than autoselect which is usually default, then on Program settings select minecraft, or search for the exe if it's not there, then set that to High performance NVIDIA CPU. Click apply and then restart minecraft, see if rthat helps.
Otherwise, install the better optifine as it allows you more control over what you can disable, you might find that certain minor options help significantly.
But before reinstalling try this, set graphics to fast, smooth lighting off, turn render distance down to about 6, max framerate down to 25, advanced open gl to fast, turn off antialiasing and mipmap levels....
You should see a significant difference. Another option that shold help is making chunk loading multicore, you may need to turn off hyperthreading on the NVIDIA control panel in order to make multicore chunk loading work properly..
Good luck,
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18417 on: July 31, 2014, 02:11:23 am »

I already have all the graphics settings down very low (and the render distance is only 4). I have made entire threads on the pile of shit that is my computer. It has had overheating problems since the first time I started it up. It is designed to overheat. All the heat is trapped in a tiny area inside the computer and there's no way to fix it.

You can explore the hell that is the Dell XPS 15z in full by looking through this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129156.0

It begins with some simple questions, and gets more and more horrifying the deeper you go.

I start a new job tomorrow and should have enough money saved up to buy a new computer in a couple of months. So I'm just getting by with this piece of garbage until then. As long as I keep the graphics options at the lowest settings, I can play Minecraft without any real difficulty.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18418 on: July 31, 2014, 03:23:50 am »

Looking at it, I'm shocked to see a laptop that is actually worse at shedding heat than mine. I think if you replaced the thermal paste you would get a significant improvement, I was shocked how much difference that made with mine, I went from temperatures hovering above 80 degrees with the occasional spike past 92 which would cause a blue screen of death to a calm 70 degree cruising temperature with occasional spikes to the 80's..
But that laptop just needs serious modification to not overheat, something like this even
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My own laptop also used to overheat significantly above the keyboard right in the area over the heatpipe just like yours, but I can actually fit a small fan to blow air over that area, and another one to suck heated air out of the case altogether, I may not need to though since the new thermal paste made a huge difference. Also I found people claiming that removing all the black paint from the heatpipe from your model makes a difference, but I'm not convinced.
Edit: Looking at someone disassembling your model it looks like theres heaps of space between the bottom case and the motherboard/ram/cpu/gpu. You might be able to get better cooling by just drilling a bunch of 4-6 mm holes all over the bottom, perhaps a bunch below the main heat culprits above where your cooling pad blows and then a few rows along the side away from the cooling pad to provide somewhere for the exhaust to escape..
Edit 2: Hell if your laptop fits well above the cooling pad you might be able to get away with removing the bottom cover altogether :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:30:43 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18419 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:46 am »

new thermal paste made a huge difference
This. Definitely this. If you know what you're doing, changing the thermal paste makes a massive difference to the processor's performance.

Sappho, as someone who ran Minecraft on a crappy laptop for years before being able to buy a proper PC, you have all of my sympathy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 1380