Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425016 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18300 on: May 03, 2014, 08:45:21 pm »

until we've decided who's setting up the server.

Forsaken was the one saying he was considering it. I like the idea of a bay12 server, but it's a bit unlikely I'd personally participate since

That said, my input:

Version 1.8 'might' be released later this month. 1.8 will introduce changes to terrain generation and new material types, and it would be sad to start a server now then have the update released the following week and then have to decide whether to reset, deal with people who don't want to play in the 'old' game, etc. Therefore I propose that a bay12 server not be established immediately, but that it be done after 1.8 is released. Possibly wait a week or two after the release so as to avoid stability issues and bugs.

Also, many people have previously commented in this thread that they all want a server to play on, but that griefing and general stupidity makes it not worth doing. Therefore I suggest setting up a whitelist and restricting access exclusively to people who 'are known' in some regard. Personally I don't really care if the server maintainers invites his friends. A few non bay12 players on 'the bay12' server is ok. But I would be hesitant to simply post the IP in a thread here and allow access to anyone who can read it. I would like accountability. Maybe require players to privately request whitelisting and that their in minecraft username match their forum name.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18301 on: May 03, 2014, 08:58:29 pm »

Imma go smash the other thread then.

EDIT: After reading Bucket's post, yeah, we oughta wait. 1.8 seems better (and the custom world settings seem more dwarfy.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:04:20 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18302 on: May 03, 2014, 09:04:23 pm »

Maybe require players to privately request whitelisting and that their in minecraft username match their forum name.
That wouldn't really be fair. Not everyone's Bay12 name matches their forum name, and I don't see what it could possibly accomplish.

Mine does, but some people have different usernames for different things.

Also, I'm against waiting. The terrain generation changes consist (so far, at least) of new stone types (which can be crafted) and customizable terrain generation (which won't matter if we use the world converter).

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18303 on: May 03, 2014, 09:08:07 pm »

Elephant has fair points.

Bucket, your counter?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18304 on: May 03, 2014, 09:08:33 pm »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18305 on: May 03, 2014, 09:12:36 pm »

You cite Valve Time for a Mojang game?

Then again, if they have anything in common with DF (which they do) they will abide by the rules of Valve Time.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18306 on: May 03, 2014, 09:47:46 pm »

Bucket, your counter?

Either I don't understand what he's saying, or he doesn't understand what I'm saying. I'm not sure which. I proposed that we require having character local names on the server match bay12 usernames. To which his response was:

Not everyone's Bay12 name matches their forum name

Bay12 is the forum we're talking about. Which "forum name" is he suggesting might not match our "bay12" name? Is there any technical reason why we would be unable to set server whitelist names to any arbitrary thing we want? In this case, bay12 forum names? It doesn't matter what anyone's mojang account name is.

And as far as this part goes:

I don't see what it could possibly accomplish.

I thought that was obvious. If names match, then everyone knows who everyone is. It provides accountability.  If "ElephantParade" destroys your house, you know who did it. If they don't match, then not only do you not know who people are, anyone can register using your name and then post screenshots of someone with your name griefing.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18307 on: May 03, 2014, 09:53:45 pm »

We could just get a Minecraft realm thing. That would work.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18308 on: May 03, 2014, 09:56:08 pm »

We could just get a Minecraft realm thing. That would work.
You'd be better off just hosting a server. Realms has a only supports 10 approved players at a time and last I heard isn't globally released yet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18309 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:49 pm »

Bucket, your counter?

Either I don't understand what he's saying, or he doesn't understand what I'm saying. I'm not sure which. I proposed that we require having character local names on the server match bay12 usernames. To which his response was:

Not everyone's Bay12 name matches their forum name

Bay12 is the forum we're talking about. Which "forum name" is he suggesting might not match our "bay12" name? Is there any technical reason why we would be unable to set server whitelist names to any arbitrary thing we want? In this case, bay12 forum names? It doesn't matter what anyone's mojang account name is.

And as far as this part goes:

I don't see what it could possibly accomplish.

I thought that was obvious. If names match, then everyone knows who everyone is. It provides accountability.  If "ElephantParade" destroys your house, you know who did it. If they don't match, then not only do you not know who people are, anyone can register using your name and then post screenshots of someone with your name griefing.
I believe he means that not everyone's In-game name matches their forum name, i.e. not everyone has matching accounts.

Based on trends here, I doubt discipline will be a problem. As a small server, part of the Bay 12 community, and tied to a knit group, all odds are against toxicity.

Furthermore, if whitelisted, the server can be provided with a list of name conversions, and it's not like someone could register a new name and log on without going through the administrative staff.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18310 on: May 03, 2014, 10:17:20 pm »

not everyone's In-game name matches their forum name

I was unaware that the ability to change your ingame name wasn't a vanilla feature.

However, apparently it will be in 1.8.x.

Based on trends here, I doubt discipline will be a problem. As a small server, part of the Bay 12 community,
and tied to a knit group, all odds are against toxicity.

Well, ok. Maybe a whitelist will be sufficient.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18311 on: May 03, 2014, 10:19:27 pm »

Its never been a vanilla feature, thats why mojang has been setting up all this stuff like the uuids to make it one in the first place.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18312 on: May 03, 2014, 10:23:36 pm »

So nobody else is interested in the idea of at least part of the minecraft map based on a DF map?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18313 on: May 03, 2014, 10:42:39 pm »

So nobody else is interested in the idea of at least part of the minecraft map based on a DF map?
I think we should do that.

Also, I still don't see why we would need to have in-game names match forum names. Why not just have the OP keep a list matching names up?

Edit: Also, LordBucket, are you sure that you understand how names work? I can't just go out and make a new account and raid the server. Well, I could, but it would cost me $30.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:44:21 pm by Elephant Parade »

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18314 on: May 03, 2014, 11:31:36 pm »

There used to be an old, old tool called DF2MC. It converted Fortresses into maps.
Pages: 1 ... 1219 1220 [1221] 1222 1223 ... 1380