Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425211 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18240 on: February 17, 2014, 02:09:46 am »

I remember when it was just creative mode, and it was limited to 1 chunk. Those were the days.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18241 on: March 09, 2014, 07:23:55 pm »

Could I get some architectural opinions?

I'm building a nether hub for a private server I play on and I'm trying to decide on aesthetics. I'm going to encase the whole thing in nether brick, but I don't really like the way it looks for the interior. It's too dark. Building with wood is out of the question, as it burns. Stone brick is done too much. Glass walls aren't an option because they'll simply show through to the nether brick on the other side. So that pretty much leaves sandstone and clay, but I'm already using sandstone walls and ceilling with smoothstone halfslab flooring in the overworld, and I've yet to find a clay design that I like.

Here's what our overworld looks like now:

Worldtour (4 meg image)

As you can see, so far almost everything in the world is built out of halfslabs and sandstone. I do like that look, but it seems like the nether should have a different style.

Opinions? Links to interior designs you like?

Thanks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18242 on: March 09, 2014, 07:25:17 pm »

Is regular ol' brick not an option?

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18243 on: March 09, 2014, 09:44:16 pm »

Is anyone here interested in a server that uses modified movecraft and a cannon plugin to create WW2 style vehicles and naval battles?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18244 on: March 09, 2014, 10:06:10 pm »

Is regular ol' brick not an option?

It's not a material I often work with because it's tedious to acquire in large quantities. Playing around with it in creative mode I wasn't impressed with it at first, but pairing it with red clay roof and stone brick flooring the colors do blend in very well with the nether.

Is that kind of what you had in mind?

EDIT:
Yeah, 4 stacks of clay per stack of brick blocks. Digging out an entire nearby lake generated enough clay to make a little over half a stack of bricks, and I'll probably need close to a double chest full of blocks to build the hub. Plus, whatever is chosen is likely to become the default design scheme for other buildings in the nether. I'll keep it in mind, but it's certainly not an ideal choice.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18245 on: March 10, 2014, 04:04:04 am »

I find that if I"m using nether brick I have to go very heavy on the lighting and add contrasting features to not make it feel like a dark void.

Get a bit creative with your lighting. Bring your walls out a bit, add some pillars and put the lighting behind there. Perhaps brick might be suitable for pillars if it's too much hassle for the walls.

Take a look a furnaces too. They're a bit resource intensive with 8 cobble each, but assuming you have plenty of cobble like most people, they're a good building block with several nice faces if you can hide the front of it.

My first instinct was to suggest single brick pillars with cobble fences going up the sides, but I'm simply partial to the cobble fences and try to incorporate them into anything I can.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #18246 on: March 11, 2014, 12:50:03 am »

Holy hell have I not been here in a long time.
And yes, I also miss Nations at War. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18247 on: March 12, 2014, 02:43:54 pm »

I did a first pass at decorating my infusion altar. I'm not normally the person who makes pretty things so this may be bad, I don't know, but I kind of like it. I'm planning to do more and change a few things.

Pic

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18248 on: March 12, 2014, 06:07:23 pm »

I did a first pass at decorating my infusion altar. I'm not normally the person who makes pretty things so this may be bad, I don't know, but I kind of like it. I'm planning to do more and change a few things.

Pic
That looks pretty neat. It probably belongs in the mod thread, though.

I still think we don't need a mod thread.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18249 on: March 12, 2014, 11:07:32 pm »

The scrollbar in the Minecraft launcher looks kinda weird and terrible. I haven't noticed the same bug in any other program.

Is this a launcher bug? I don't know when it started looking like this. I only noticed it about fifteen minutes ago.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18250 on: March 13, 2014, 02:47:59 am »

I find that if I"m using nether brick I have to go very heavy on the lighting and add contrasting features to not make it feel like a dark void.

I've been getting around the problem by building a more or less solid horizontal layers out of nether brick, and coating the insides of f it with something less dark.

I'm not entirely sure using nether brick is even necessary. It seems like ghasts need line of sight to fire on anyone, so the interior should be safe. But I'd hate to have a chunk fail to load or something, and for one shot gets through and take out the floor beneath chests over lava or something. Coating everything in nether brick jseems like a safe choice.

Eventually decided to go with a simple stone brick/pumpkin layout. It's not beautiful, but it works, it breaks up the "everything is sandstone" theme we have in the overworld, and the color of stone blends reasonably well with netherack.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18251 on: March 14, 2014, 05:54:05 pm »

Is anyone here interested in a flatlands survival server with some special features? I made some significant changes to combat using command blocks, and there's some "special event" type things that unfold some pieces of lore about the world.

I can post the IP if anyone wants to get on and try it out :). It's public, by the way, so it won't just be bay12ers and a few other people.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18252 on: March 14, 2014, 06:21:23 pm »

When you say flatland survival, does that mean there's stuff already built on the map?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18253 on: March 14, 2014, 06:35:20 pm »

No man 2 blocks of dirt on one block of bedrock, nothing but spawned villages to keep the hunger and loneliness at bay.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18254 on: March 14, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »

When you say flatland survival, does that mean there's stuff already built on the map?

Well, it's been up a few days, so there are /some/ player-built structures up. Mostly it's just 2 or 3 refurbished villages that some people have set up in to hide from the slimes during the day, and the monsters at night. Fortunately, my team has built a pretty good fortress!

No man 2 blocks of dirt on one block of bedrock, nothing but spawned villages to keep the hunger and loneliness at bay.

That was pretty much how it was at first. Luckily, there was a village within eyesight of spawn. Unfortunately, all of the villagers died within 2 nights because we couldn't fortify anything due to slimes being everywhere. The rooftops were the only safe haven.

RIP in piece villagers ;_;7

Well, since there seems to be some interest, here's some links and info about the server:

IP Address: 67.181.100.76:12321

Forums: http://aquor.enjin.com/

Uptime Hours for US time zones:

3:00PM - 8:00PM PST
4:00PM - 9:00PM MST
5:00PM - 10:00PM CST
6:00PM - 11:00PM EST

The server is up every day during these hours. I leave it up only part of the day as a design choice. If it's possible for at least someone from your team to be online for all or most of the server's uptime, you can actually defend your stuff from PvPers and raiders!

I will also be working on a system with command blocks to make some kind of automated defense that it's prohibitively expensive.

Currently, combat has been changed to where:

1.) you can only do damage once per second, to simulate winding up and recoiling from a swing. It also helps make blocking useful.

2.) When you get hit, you get blindness and nausea for a short time, to simulate the shock of getting hit.

3.) Everyone has mining fatigue level 4 at all times. Everything takes 80% longer to break, essentially. Makes structures all that more rewarding and resilient!
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.
Pages: 1 ... 1215 1216 [1217] 1218 1219 ... 1380