Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425387 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18180 on: November 28, 2013, 08:53:29 pm »

...Is there some sort of hat-based avatar trend going on? I feel like I'm talking to myself here.
It's a dapper fad. A fad I refuse to take part in.
My dreams have come true :D.
You must give your hat a hat and monocle now.
Not sure whether to do that on my Christmas Fedora, but yes, definitely.

o0Julia0o

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18181 on: December 10, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »

I dont see any problem with what your doing. Its annoying, but all you have to do is simply have two complete minecraft files in different areas, then use the new "Set game's location on hard drive" feature on the new launcher to the one you want. You'd have to do it every time you switched, but its a lot easier then the other suggestions.
Setting up a batch file once to do that for you is harder than doing it every single time?  What?
Your jargon lost me.
So my explanation of the fact that the batch file won't break your computer (because technically it is editing a system variable that Windows needs to function, although it's actually not doing any editing) made it hard to use?
Fine, if you don't want to know any of the background information behind it (completely un-befitting of the Bay12 forums, but whatever)

Idiot's Guide to "Automatic" Multiple Minecraft Installations
1) Open Notepad
2)
Code: [Select]
set APPDATA = wherever/the/data/you/want/this/instance/to/use/is (ex. "C:\Games\Minecraft Folder\data1" )
path/to/Minecraft.exe (ex. "C:\Games\Minecraft Folder\Minecraft.exe" )
(Obviously, change the directories to match -- Encase in quotation marks if there are spaces, and keep in mind that it will make a .minecraft subfolder in the data directory)
3) Save as ANYTHING.bat (make sure to select ALL FILES, for the extension, not .txt!)
4) Repeat as necessary for the number of different copies of the game you want.  Obviously, save with a different filename.
5) Run these instead of the launcher as needed.

EDIT: Numbers derped when I added a step.
Note that this will NOT work if you have actually changed the directory that the launcher looks for files in.
this donīt works for the new launcher.. minecraft >1.6.4 :-(

does there exist an option to use an actual minecraft portable on win8?

Julia :)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18182 on: December 14, 2013, 07:50:33 am »

Hey there, is Minecraft still worth buying?  Im looking into it atm but dont want to bother if its getting quiet.

Ive been using MC offline and on hacked servers for a couple of years but never really got into it due to how busy or laggy dodgy servers were.

I dont really want to build on huge online servers full of kids but smaller private group servers and such with more mature players.

Is there still plenty of megaproject or technical servers out there making it worth buying this late or has MC ran its course?

Thx for look.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18183 on: December 14, 2013, 08:01:39 am »

*I don't feel like doing this right now, but insert angry rant about illegal piracy here.*

I wouldn't really know how servers are, not using them much myself. Most of my experience comes from offline play in many different forms. If all you're concerned about is the online community, I'm not sure it's worth buying for you.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18184 on: December 14, 2013, 08:07:46 am »

*I don't feel like doing this right now, but insert angry rant about illegal piracy here.*

I wouldn't really know how servers are, not using them much myself. Most of my experience comes from offline play in many different forms. If all you're concerned about is the online community, I'm not sure it's worth buying for you.

Eh, that's actually how I got into Minecraft. A friend of mine showed me SSP on a pirated copy (Beta 1.1_02 NEVAR FORGET), then I played a while on a pirated copy from him, then I bought it legit (actually the purchase on my bank account), THEN he bought it. So it's not that a huge deal.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18185 on: December 14, 2013, 08:12:17 am »

Eh, that's actually how I got into Minecraft. A friend of mine showed me SSP on a pirated copy (Beta 1.1_02 NEVAR FORGET), then I played a while on a pirated copy from him, then I bought it legit (actually the purchase on my bank account), THEN he bought it. So it's not that a huge deal.
Yeah, but I'm assuming here that the customer is only interested in the material benefits of not pirating. Buying it if you enjoy it is just a nice thing to do.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #18186 on: December 14, 2013, 08:28:12 am »

Anyone can offer advice on a good high-performance (CPU-wise) host service for a minecraft server? I re-did my 120-mod madness and am looking for a place to host it. As an extra plus it is technic-launcher packaged  :D
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18187 on: December 14, 2013, 08:29:19 am »

Ooh, a new server appears on Bay 12, perhaps?

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18188 on: December 14, 2013, 08:39:51 am »

Well offline playing gets boring after a few hours and online is terrible on pirated servers.

Id buy it if online was still good and busy but not going to pay Ģ20 to just play offline or in poor run servers.

I would only be buying it for paid benefits online as offline is of no interest to me.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18189 on: December 14, 2013, 10:38:44 am »

I would deffinitly recommend buying it. Because you've already got your money's worth! It's a guranteed sattisfied investment!

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18190 on: December 15, 2013, 01:46:03 pm »

IS there any servers out there that allow redstone wiring and contraptions?

Ive been in 3 difference creative servers and non allows redstone devices.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18191 on: December 20, 2013, 08:11:13 pm »

those are usually good watches.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #18192 on: December 26, 2013, 09:44:48 pm »

UHC is a good concept. It plays to the strengths inherent in Minecraft's design (namely the drive to acquire better gear tempered by the risk of damage and time required to  acquire said gear).

On another note, I really miss Nations at War. It seems they are still prepping for season 3, but I'm afraid by the time they get there, nobody will remember it. I never truly understood how the vast emptiness Gimli felt entering the Mines of Moria until I looked at the visitors center on their forum and realized the last post was over a year ago. That place used to be almost as active as Other Games is here. The walls are made of good times and lost posts, entire ecosystems of social activity, still here to look at; but they have come to  complete stop.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18193 on: December 26, 2013, 10:10:04 pm »

UHC is a good concept. It plays to the strengths inherent in Minecraft's design (namely the drive to acquire better gear tempered by the risk of damage and time required to  acquire said gear).

On another note, I really miss Nations at War. It seems they are still prepping for season 3, but I'm afraid by the time they get there, nobody will remember it. I never truly understood how the vast emptiness Gimli felt entering the Mines of Moria until I looked at the visitors center on their forum and realized the last post was over a year ago. That place used to be almost as active as Other Games is here. The walls are made of good times and lost posts, entire ecosystems of social activity, still here to look at; but they have come to  complete stop.
Necro the forum. You know you want to.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18194 on: December 26, 2013, 10:21:51 pm »

Necro the forum. You know you want to.
Minecraft-based forums have limits as to how much one man can necro. It relates to the inability of the game's inefficient rendering systems to handle large amounts of Things.
Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 1380