Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425403 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18165 on: November 10, 2013, 06:03:00 pm »

Seems to be dead.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #18166 on: November 10, 2013, 06:03:44 pm »

Well, you could join the Teamspeak and see.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18167 on: November 10, 2013, 06:05:58 pm »

Well, you could join the Teamspeak and see.
The thread hasn't had a reply since September, and that was the first one in almost a month; it was asking for the map to get the server up and running again.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18168 on: November 16, 2013, 03:11:51 pm »

I decided to play Minecraft Alpha.
After about thirty seconds, I found a cave. I went in.
A minute of exploration later, I find a diamond vein.
Thirty seconds later, I find ANOTHER diamond vein.
Of course, I didn't have a pickaxe since I was just messing around.

Were diamonds a lot more common back then or what?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18169 on: November 17, 2013, 09:51:23 pm »

I decided to play Minecraft Alpha.
After about thirty seconds, I found a cave. I went in.
A minute of exploration later, I find a diamond vein.
Thirty seconds later, I find ANOTHER diamond vein.
Of course, I didn't have a pickaxe since I was just messing around.

Were diamonds a lot more common back then or what?
As someone who played the game back when alpha was new, I think it was actually the opposite. Anytime I play survival now, I'm almost drowning in diamonds within maybe two hours. Back then, I managed to find a grand total of five on the most developed of all my saves, over weeks of playing. Granted, I didn't search very hard, but that's still a huge difference.

I do believe the distribution of diamonds was different though, which may explain your findings.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18170 on: November 24, 2013, 10:08:03 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsiqdEIftA8

I want to play this.
Map's available for download. A Bay12er could temporarily host a server.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18171 on: November 24, 2013, 10:17:20 pm »

Two problems:
First, chat would be pretty important. Skype or something.

Second, I'm headed to bed soon, so you cannot host it now. Or I'll murderise you.
No way I'm hosting it. That would require effort.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18172 on: November 26, 2013, 10:34:16 pm »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18173 on: November 27, 2013, 02:21:10 am »

Would someone point me to a good village sorter design? There's no shortage of designs, but all I've seen so far I've found to be lacking. Breeding isn't a problem, but it seems with 1.7.2 villagers are even more stupid than in 1.6. In 1.6 they'd spread out across the village, wherever there were doors, and only ran if they were pushed outside its bounds. So it was a simple matter to walk around, check their trades, and dispose of any villagers I didn't want. Now, my villagers all want to huddle in one spot that so far as I can tell is outside the bounds of (enclosed) village, and since they can't reach it they pile up in the corner that's closest to it, and anytime I push them more than 2-3 blocks from that spot they super-dash back. This makes it difficult to wade through them to check trades because my screen is filled with villagers, very often stacked on top of each other so I can't even click  on some of them, if I kill them on the spot I often kill the wrong villagers, and if I try to push them around they run back into the pile, meaning I end up checking all the villagers again because I've lost track of which I have and haven't checked.

I've found some designs, but they generally seem to be created with the design philosophy of "let's see how incredibly big and inefficient we make make this just for the sake of making it big and inefficient." I'd like something that leans more towards "simple, and functional."

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18174 on: November 28, 2013, 12:18:43 pm »

What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18175 on: November 28, 2013, 05:51:30 pm »

Just noticed Minecraft had an update, went to read the changelog on the wiki...GOOD GOD, that's a long list of changes and additions. Time to fire it up and go nuts :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18176 on: November 28, 2013, 06:06:22 pm »

...Is there some sort of hat-based avatar trend going on? I feel like I'm talking to myself here.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18177 on: November 28, 2013, 06:10:17 pm »

...Is there some sort of hat-based avatar trend going on? I feel like I'm talking to myself here.
It's a dapper fad. A fad I refuse to take part in.
My dreams have come true :D.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18178 on: November 28, 2013, 06:53:50 pm »

It's a dapper fad. A fad I refuse to take part in.
My dreams have come true :D.
You must give your hat a hat and monocle now.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18179 on: November 28, 2013, 06:57:37 pm »

Kadzar, that's not a dungeon. Looks like a ravine.
I think in D&D terms; any underground place full of monsters is a dungeon to me. (Also I put up that post in a hurry before we headed out for Thanksgiving, so I didn't really spend a lot of time considering my wording).

Also, something I forgot to mention: since I spawned in a jungle and found some watermelons right away, I haven't had to kill a single animal in my play-through so far. I might consider my diet entirely vegetarian if I hadn't had to eat some zombie flesh a few times (at least the diet would be PETA approved).

Also, crossposting from the Happy Thread:
I just got back from Thanksgiving with my extended family. I brought my laptop along so, after lunch I played Minecraft with my one cousin's  son (as in, I operated the controls, he pointed things out and asked questions and kinda directed me in what to do). It was nice, and kinda cute, 'cause did things like ask me not to hurt any animals (which I was able to avoid since I have a good stock of bread and watermelon) and to stop some animals from running into lava (I was unfortunately unable to save one pig from falling in, but I then blocked up the flow and created a step up for the other animals to escape the pit).

I also kinda gained some perspective on the part of LPers. A lot of people complain about them messing up all the time and making stupid mistakes, but as I found with my cousin's kid, if you play tactically and strategically, taking time to return to your base properly managing your inventory, you will lose your viewer's attention. And then they have to come up with interesting commentary on top of that. I'm not saying they're necessarily great at whatever game their playing, but playing for an audience is a lot harder than just playing by yourself.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 1210 1211 [1212] 1213 1214 ... 1380