Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425848 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #17970 on: July 26, 2013, 03:52:56 pm »

My first was the most amazing 'Coastal Fort'. Made of the good-looking wood, countless tunnels, real beauty. And she had spirit, too. Ah. I think I post a link to it early in the thread.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17971 on: July 26, 2013, 04:50:12 pm »

My first was the most amazing 'Coastal Fort'. Made of the good-looking wood, countless tunnels, real beauty. And she had spirit, too. Ah. I think I post a link to it early in the thread.
My first started off as a little hollow into a mountain which turned out to quickly connect to a cave system that went all the way to bedrock. Then I went and created a bunch of what were basically boreholes elsewhere and started mining bases, then creating an underwater one, and a huge beacon-tower lighthouse type dealy. I then connected all but the lighthouse underground by a network of mining tunnels, which I later renovated into proper transport tunnels. The tower I connected by a massive bridge to the top of the hill my original base was in. Then I built a smaller guard tower on top of that.
It was pretty cool until I wandered off, created a smaller outpost what was basically a hollowed out hill (mostly naturally) that I then built a luxury area out of. Then I became more bold in my venturing and ended up getting irrecoverably lost and supply-less. Even if I wanted to cheat and get everything back I couldn't, because the computer it was on has long since been formatted.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17972 on: July 26, 2013, 05:20:17 pm »

I still remember my first 'main base'. I'd wandered far from spawn and decided to settle down in a nice valley under some interesting mountains. I eventually had a nice set of towers going all the way to the top and a fully walled-in area going around the valley, lit by torchposts to keep mobs from spawning inside. This was long before actual clocks were craftable, so I also had a clocktower that I could go into to watch the progression of the sun/moon to see how much time I had before the next cycle.

Eventually I created a rail line stretching all the way back to spawn (which I rediscovered by dying) with outposts along the way.

It was lost long ago after far too many updates to the game made it pointless to keep playing that world. But the feeling of satisfaction I had looking down over that valley was what really got me enjoying Minecraft.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17973 on: July 27, 2013, 01:51:20 am »

Unfortunately generation sucks now and all the landscapes are boring and samey.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #17974 on: July 27, 2013, 04:27:33 am »

ExtraBiomesXL seems to help that aspect... I generated a FTB server and got soaring forested cliffs surrounding a deep sand lagoon neighboring the ocean. On a cliff near the ocean was a tall magical tree. :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17975 on: July 27, 2013, 07:02:30 am »

ExtraBiomesXL seems to help that aspect... I generated a FTB server and got soaring forested cliffs surrounding a deep sand lagoon neighboring the ocean. On a cliff near the ocean was a tall magical tree. :D

Eh, I tried it. It added more samey landscapes to choose from, but samey nonetheless.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #17976 on: July 27, 2013, 07:11:25 am »

Wasn't there some mod that restored pre-1.8 terrain gen?

Also: realistic terrain is boring. I hope Jeb realizes that soon :<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17977 on: July 27, 2013, 07:25:51 am »

Wasn't there some mod that restored pre-1.8 terrain gen?

Also: realistic terrain is boring. I hope Jeb realizes that soon :<
Thing is that realistic terrain can actually be quite interesting.
Just not the bits that Minecraft does.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17978 on: July 27, 2013, 09:14:52 am »

Maybe someday, MC will naturally generate realistic terrain. However, today is not that day. Until then, there's the Esconia map. It's sooo purty.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17979 on: July 27, 2013, 09:48:25 am »

I think I'd like more random elements in Minecraft. Things that don't always appear but have a chance too. This could extend to certain environmental formations like really high mountains, large boulders and mine entrances. Something more to differentiate one plain or mountain range from another.

Anyway, I thought to myself "I wonder if..."

Yes.

http://overviewer.org/wow/#/4347/64/6551/-4/0/0
This is apparently done with a program generating it, but still. My word... it's incredible, and about 24 gig unpacked :P (I think 2.4gig compressed).
Forum link.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/997352-crafting-azeroth/

It's even got Ironforge. Dare I suggest a Bay12 excursion? Though I have no idea how it runs, probably rather slowly.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #17980 on: July 27, 2013, 11:10:05 am »

Can't wait for more from the dude who did Esconia. Because that is a hell of a map.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17981 on: July 27, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »

Can't wait for more from the dude who did Esconia. Because that is a hell of a map.

Hmm... I think I have an idea... how about setting up a nomad challenge server on Esconia?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17982 on: July 27, 2013, 03:15:25 pm »

I just want Perlin noise back :c

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17983 on: July 27, 2013, 03:30:55 pm »

Hmm... I think I have an idea... how about setting up a nomad challenge server on Esconia?
What is a 'nomad challenge'?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17984 on: July 27, 2013, 03:32:24 pm »

Don't stay in a single spot more than a day. Great fun, especially in older, more interesting worlds.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1380