Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425842 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #17955 on: July 24, 2013, 05:37:06 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFaCNsuD01k

Now, in regards to pigmen spawners, there are two things...  One is if you make it in the Nether, in which case special rules apply and you have to ghast-proof it.  If you build it in the overworld, you'll need a shitload of obsidian to make an equally fantastic number of portals so that they actually spawn...  Again, I've seen a video for a pigman farm that was actually built in Survival mode (with Peaceful difficulty for the most part, of course...  Ghasts are such a ridiculous pain) but that again requires some titanic amount of dedication.  The guy spent several days working just on that.

It's mostly just that I'm trying to get some renewable source of both gold and iron.  Doesn't necessarily have to be much, it just has to be fairly simple to collect and (hopefully) automatic to some extent...  The issue here is that I have dreadful focus and poor long-term goal recognition when it comes to this kind of project, so I need to find a middle ground between efficacy and product.

And I think I'll hold off on a zombie tower until I get some dogs to feed the meat to...  Only time I've ever seen wolves in my world was once when I had three bones with me.  They ate all three and then looked at me like I was insane for thinking maybe they'd like to pledge their eternal servitude to me for that.

So then I started carrying around a full 64 stack of bones just in case...  Right up until I was spelunking and crawled up to a ledge that was completely creeper-free before I got up there, but when I did poke my nose over the edge one of the green meanies ignited and blasted me through a cubbyhole in the wall, straight into a magma pipe.

Had to put MC away for a while after that...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17956 on: July 24, 2013, 05:40:23 pm »

Personally, I wouldn't bother with wolves unless you're playing BTW, but that's just me.

This actually makes me want to play some quality BTW now.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17957 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:10 am »

Gives me something to do with the rotten meat I've got piled up.

Now, my initial (creative mode and otherwise) scans of the one single Nether fortress I've managed to find (my world is hysterically dull and difficult to find stuff in) showed no netherwart.  And, not wanting to frustrate myself any more than needed with the Nether, I decided to do a Peaceful run through to see if there was anything inside.

After many, many, many small twisting passages (all alike), I finally found a nether garden, and greedily scooped up the rewards.  Delving deeper, I found a couple chests with two iron bars, two gold bars, two diamonds and a saddle (to replace the one I'd lost thanks to Cheap Creeper and the Magma Pipe of Hidden Doom), and eventually another garden.  I also snatched up the goods, plus the soul sand to grow them on, and made my way towards the exit.

..or, at least, what I thought was towards the exit.  I got lost.  Again.  And then I wound up walking off a ledge into nothingness thanks to the architect deciding that doorways don't actually need to link up with the battlements.

By the time I managed to find that spot again, the items had despawned.  So, basically, I'd just deprived myself of what little netherwart I actually had available.

...reeeeeally starting to dislike this place.  Heh.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17958 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:18 pm »

I haven't played this game in years, but misclicked my way to the first page today and... oh god, what a blast from the past. Compare the Minecraft of the first pages to the one today. It's gotten me all nostalgic for the good old days, before even multiplayer. Awwwww yus.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #17959 on: July 25, 2013, 05:51:05 pm »

I haven't played this game in years, but misclicked my way to the first page today and... oh god, what a blast from the past. Compare the Minecraft of the first pages to the one today. It's gotten me all nostalgic for the good old days, before even multiplayer. Awwwww yus.
Aw man, I remember the Flood Fluids. Ah, the halcyon days before buckets.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17960 on: July 26, 2013, 03:46:23 am »

Ahh yes, the days when you could see the whole world if you built a stack tall enough, and then flood the whole thing under a mountain of water by using just such a similar stack of blocks...  And the only mobs were spawned by looking at the ground and pressing a key on your keyboard, which caused a Steve to pop out and start running aimlessly around in circles.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17961 on: July 26, 2013, 04:08:34 am »

Damn, I just remembered the first thing I did in Minecraft, ever. Which was to build a 2-tall series of rooms carved into the rock of a small hill. Which then had to be deleted since I accidentally flooded everything and had no idea how to fix it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17962 on: July 26, 2013, 12:09:26 pm »

Damn, I just remembered the first thing I did in Minecraft, ever. Which was to build a 2-tall series of rooms carved into the rock of a small hill. Which then had to be deleted since I accidentally flooded everything and had no idea how to fix it.

I built a dirt house surrounded by dirt walls.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17963 on: July 26, 2013, 12:39:25 pm »

I carved some stairs down into a hill, then made a dining table with some cheese (sponges) on it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17964 on: July 26, 2013, 12:42:49 pm »

I don't know what version it was, but creepers and other mobs were spawning in broad daylight. Cue several deaths as I tried in vain to climb a nearby hill and then fortify it (read, prevent things from climbing up after me). After the fifth such attempt I decided that this "Minecraft" thing was a waste of time and put it down for a year or so.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17965 on: July 26, 2013, 12:46:39 pm »

I built a dirt house surrounded by dirt walls.

I always took a degree of pride for not having built a dirt house in my olden noobish days (later on is a different story, those were decent hideouts in the absence of decent materials).

My first actual build (Classic Creative) was a small house/chapel thingy, about 10 tall at the highest point of the roof, and the first Survival build (on my friend's pirated copy in Beta 1.1_02) was a small wooden hut on a pretty pointless gravel foundation, which took me about three in-game days to build, much to the chagrin of said friend.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #17966 on: July 26, 2013, 02:07:17 pm »

I don't know what version it was, but creepers and other mobs were spawning in broad daylight. Cue several deaths as I tried in vain to climb a nearby hill and then fortify it (read, prevent things from climbing up after me). After the fifth such attempt I decided that this "Minecraft" thing was a waste of time and put it down for a year or so.
Though that was the time that creepers blew up just when you killed them

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17967 on: July 26, 2013, 03:33:34 pm »

I walked around in the mysterious world that was minecraft. Following the example of X, I found a nice mountain with some coal and dug myself a cozy hole that I expanded to eventually become my first base.
This was in Alpha, a few months before the Halloween update.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17968 on: July 26, 2013, 03:48:40 pm »

do you remember the days of private classic servers which grew pointlessly large and had a higher building density than yangzhou

my first creation on one of these was a staircase to the top of the world which was sponged over and made a public graffiti spot because i had no idea how to turn on flymode. i remember it like it was yesterday. then i dropped the subject for a couple months, came back to the aforementioned denser-than-yangzhou architecture, decided to make a cozy base underground and then went on to become a prominent figure on the lava survival server (theone's! original and the only i recognize). after that, the experimental multiworld of archiveserver, and classic was over. i'm skipping a lot of minor servers though, and even were involved in a small collaborative project as to an unique server launcher (i still have the files for it somewhere)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17969 on: July 26, 2013, 03:49:41 pm »

I still have my first world, and it's mostly cobblestone structures.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1380