Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426120 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #17790 on: March 13, 2013, 07:49:12 pm »

Who said anything about a business?
If you're just doing it for a friend or two, you don't even need heavy hardware. The server I run sits on a computer on a standard internet connection.

What's standard to some is high-speed to others.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17791 on: March 13, 2013, 08:45:29 pm »

Forsaken, I feel it must behoove me to remind you that this service isn't for people who could just setup their own server. It would not be hard for you, it would not be too hard for me, but a majority of people would not be able to do it. People on this forum overall are the type to get tech so its easy to sometimes forget what most people are like but Minecraft has such a large number of customers of all ages that it covers all levels of computer knowledge. Oh and Sergius has a perfect point as well, I tested my own connection and it said I could support myself and .5 other people.
   Other things that it will be for is those people who want a server but are unable for some reason to host and or pay for their own but have someone who isn't tech savy who would pay for it. With Mojang doing this there is suddenly a completely "legit" option because it comes from the same company that made the game. Or in other words a kid could probably get their parents to do this where other options probably would not fly.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17792 on: March 14, 2013, 04:56:36 am »

Forsaken, I feel it must behoove me to remind you that this service isn't for people who could just setup their own server. It would not be hard for you, it would not be too hard for me, but a majority of people would not be able to do it. People on this forum overall are the type to get tech so its easy to sometimes forget what most people are like but Minecraft has such a large number of customers of all ages that it covers all levels of computer knowledge. Oh and Sergius has a perfect point as well, I tested my own connection and it said I could support myself and .5 other people.
   Other things that it will be for is those people who want a server but are unable for some reason to host and or pay for their own but have someone who isn't tech savy who would pay for it. With Mojang doing this there is suddenly a completely "legit" option because it comes from the same company that made the game. Or in other words a kid could probably get their parents to do this where other options probably would not fly.
Yeah you're right. Even people who know how may pay for the convenience.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17793 on: March 14, 2013, 10:05:41 am »

Yeah you're right. Even people who know how may pay for the convenience.
Even if it's not convenience, the price of electricity to run a server 24/7 can be pretty close to or over $10/month in some areas on the wrong hardware.

Now, I realize that a Minecraft server is not going to tax a system this much, but my gaming PC can easily run at 300W when I'm in a graphic intense game.  At my last billed rate of $0.100715 (Distribution @ $0.023000 + Generation & Transmission @ $0.077715) per kWh, that would be $21.75 per 30 days of running non-stop.  I live in a cheap area for electricity though.  The US average is $0.12/kWh.  ($25.92 mo)

Of course, If I were to run a Minecraft server 24/7 it wouldn't be on that PC while a 3D game was up taxing my graphics card... but people sometimes overlook the price of electricity.  Server + router + air conditioning (in the summer)... If you can get a 20-40W machine running Minecraft it could be as low as $1.75-$3.50 a month (in the $0.10/kWh rate) but you also have to own/maintain the hardware.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17794 on: March 28, 2013, 09:25:29 am »

People have been using Raspberry Pis for Minecraft servers, with a little success. Not exactly the perfect solution, but seems to be acceptable (with some compromises).

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=27889

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17795 on: March 29, 2013, 09:56:21 pm »

Making a Minecraft server, with a focus on roleplay.
Here's the link.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124449.0

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17796 on: March 29, 2013, 11:08:31 pm »

I am planning on making a special Mystcraft World where I plan to build a kinda Endgame World for the players of my Server will do a DnD styled mission as a final "celerbration" on finishing the challenge that we all agreed on doing. But for the life of me I can not create a world that I need...

Generally I need a Void World with a Continuous Thunderstorm or something so I can build in. But every world I have tried to make left me with a failure. Being Unstable and all that... T_T
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17797 on: April 01, 2013, 11:21:34 am »

Can anyone help me this this problem I am having with my server...

I recently installed the Factions Bukkit plugin to my server, it loads alright and everything works for me, but NO ONE ELSE can access anything like the map system or such... What have I done wrong???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17798 on: April 01, 2013, 12:58:40 pm »

What are your Permissions settings? Or are you using the Op system?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17799 on: April 01, 2013, 09:37:54 pm »

What are your Permissions settings? Or are you using the Op system?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Honest to god, I have no Idea, I tried looking into using bpermissions plugin and such and there was nothing, nothing in their logs or such...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17800 on: April 02, 2013, 11:35:43 am »

So, uh. Try to /op [username] before having them try the commands.
Backup everything first though.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17801 on: April 02, 2013, 12:11:36 pm »

So, uh. Try to /op [username] before having them try the commands.
Backup everything first though.
Yeah it works when their Op but not when they are just a player on the server. Its really weird though, I guess I will just fiddle with a vanilla server I host on my Personal PC for the time being. Still, this Permissions stuff makes my head spin...

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17802 on: April 04, 2013, 06:57:16 pm »

I'm gonna need help with a multiplayer project, just the manual labor really. We currently got me, Twi, and Furtuka. PM me if you want to help.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17803 on: April 04, 2013, 07:00:55 pm »

I'm gonna need help with a multiplayer project, just the manual labor really. We currently got me, Twi, and Furtuka. PM me if you want to help.
What's the project?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17804 on: April 04, 2013, 07:06:37 pm »

Yeah you may need to tell us a bit more about the project to get people offering their help.
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 1380