Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1161 1162 [1163] 1164 1165 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426869 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #17430 on: August 22, 2012, 12:06:20 pm »

Is the server going to be:

-White listed

- A "Turned on only when we have everyone/enough of us"
or
- A "On at X time to X time" server

?
I could probably work out a scheduled job on the linux VPS to run the server only at specific times, sure. Whitelisting is easy. I'll research it when I get home.

Biggest question:

Do you want any mods or pure vanilla? Bukkit? etc

A combination of both I guess.

I'll only turn it on during the sessions, and there will be a white list Just in case. I'll host the server, by the way.

The vanilla server has very little on it, at least last time I was there. Mostly a few wood shacks. I could easily reset the map if you like.

Why when we can get an entirely fresh world?
I was just offering my own pre-existing setup, as I said I can reset the map. If you would rather host it, I have no problem with that. That's just less work I have to do, honestly.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17431 on: August 22, 2012, 12:09:30 pm »

Its okay, I can handle it. I already have a server up, in fact.

Do you want any mods or pure vanilla? Bukkit? etc

Perfably Vanilla. "Slay the Enderdragon" and all that. Although if a lot of people would perfer mods, I am completely fine with that.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17432 on: August 22, 2012, 12:16:56 pm »

Part of me wants a vanilla server, part of me wants tons of industry and to build factories, and part of me wants a bunch of silly mods to have fun with, like clay soldiers.

So basically, I don't care, but think that the more the better. As long as there isn't EE. As much as I love the mod, that would just break everything.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17433 on: August 22, 2012, 12:18:30 pm »

Part of me wants a vanilla server, part of me wants tons of industry and to build factories, and part of me wants a bunch of silly mods to have fun with, like clay soldiers.

But what about the Trading! Or even more, THE SIDEWAYS LOGS!

Edit: I create a steam Group for the sessions so that I can hopefully get us together more easily. If you want in, I recomend joining that. (If you don't have a steam account, don't worry. Its free.)

I also can only let 20 people max in, but I don't think we'll get that many people.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:25:22 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17434 on: August 22, 2012, 12:24:28 pm »

Has Clay Soldiers gone SMP yet? I'd love to have little tournaments

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #17435 on: August 22, 2012, 01:40:57 pm »

I don't get why people shouldn't use one of the two available Vanilla servers around. There's Planehacked at vanilla 1.3.1 and Forsaken's thing. Just set a time, and people show up. Few people play already. If you further dilute the playerbase it just seems like the current servers are gonna die.

I'd vote for doing it on the Planehacked server, which is B12's own. You can start in a new spot. There could be interesting roleplaying with existing inhabitants and everything - not that there are very many, as far as I know.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17436 on: August 22, 2012, 02:23:08 pm »

And if you really really want to be alone in an area, we can move you all to an empty out of the way spot that's far away, but close enough for travel.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17437 on: August 22, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

I'd vote for doing it on the Planehacked server, which is B12's own. You can start in a new spot. There could be interesting roleplaying with existing inhabitants and everything - not that there are very many, as far as I know.

Still, the question is, why do that when we can host our own? I already have one that we can use. What would be the purpose?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17438 on: August 22, 2012, 02:51:55 pm »

The purpose would be to keep people together.  If you split your servers up too much, you end up with a dozen people hosting servers, trying to get two people to join.  If you just want to play, then there's plenty of places to play in existing servers, and you can help keep the server active and people enjoying minecraft.  Dilute the player base too much, and no one is on at the same time and no one is having fun.

Unless you're doing a special project, like a very specific construction that will have a definite end date, then your own server might be worthwhile.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17439 on: August 22, 2012, 03:08:55 pm »

The purpose would be to keep people together.  If you split your servers up too much, you end up with a dozen people hosting servers, trying to get two people to join.  If you just want to play, then there's plenty of places to play in existing servers, and you can help keep the server active and people enjoying minecraft.  Dilute the player base too much, and no one is on at the same time and no one is having fun.

Except where not spliting the player base. I just wanted to do some fun session based(Key-Word) Minecrafting together with a bunch of people. Not create some big offical server. Theres already enough of those.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17440 on: August 22, 2012, 03:11:35 pm »

Its really not a big deal, you're free to host your own server obviously.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17441 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:46 pm »

Not sure if to post here or the happy thread.

Spent a few hours tonight playing SMP with my little sister. It's her first time in a server. Get them hooked young? :P
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17442 on: August 23, 2012, 04:32:51 am »

Has anyone had difficulty uploading custom skins?  I saved the skin to png, tried to apply it on the Minecraft website, but when I login to world, nothing.  Just the basic steve skin. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17443 on: August 23, 2012, 04:51:00 am »

Could also be a bug. Try restarting.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17444 on: August 23, 2012, 04:53:51 am »

I've restarted, multiple times.  I'll try again. 

EDIT: Tried again, absolutely nothing.  When you select the skin on the Minecraft site, there's supposed to be a series of numbers in the skin uploading?  Mine's just blank whenever I choose the skin. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:56:11 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 1161 1162 [1163] 1164 1165 ... 1380