Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2427519 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #17055 on: June 03, 2012, 01:20:45 am »

Anyone know of a map that has some good ambiance to build around in?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17056 on: June 03, 2012, 01:23:30 am »

Define Ambience
It's FEF, not FEOF

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17057 on: June 03, 2012, 02:17:36 am »

Loads of cliffs and nearly-floating islands?
You'll have to mod the perlin noise back in :x

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17058 on: June 03, 2012, 06:12:05 am »

Define Ambience
A map with natural-feeling additions. An abandoned ruin there, a giant tree there, etc. A map that doesnt strangle my ability to play the game normally, but is much more scenic then the current mapgen.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17059 on: June 03, 2012, 08:07:40 am »

Snapshot's dropped. With such cool things as priests doing enchanting, jungle temples and tripwires. Plus much, much more!

Tripwires are cool and all, and since there was a discussion about that earlier, there's not much to add, but priests that enchant? Oh yes, now that's a good one.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17060 on: June 03, 2012, 11:58:14 am »

Snapshot's dropped. With such cool things as priests doing enchanting, jungle temples and tripwires. Plus much, much more!

Tripwires are cool and all, and since there was a discussion about that earlier, there's not much to add, but priests that enchant? Oh yes, now that's a good one.
Do the priests tell you what enchant you will get?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17061 on: June 03, 2012, 01:01:52 pm »

That would actually be a really neat feature.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17062 on: June 03, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »

This is Mojang we're talking about guys :P
*Hugs*

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17063 on: June 03, 2012, 07:09:02 pm »

Do the priests tell you what enchant you will get?

This is Mojang we're talking about guys :P

Yes. Yes they do. You only get one enchant at a time, at least that I've seen, but that's fine if you know what you're getting, IMO.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17064 on: June 03, 2012, 09:49:28 pm »

I would be perfectly fine with only getting a single enchant as long as I could tell what I was getting. I don't need a silk touch I efficiency II pick, I need a fortune II or maybe a Unbreaking III pick. Even just  level one only enchants would be fine as long as I can pick.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17065 on: June 03, 2012, 10:01:14 pm »

According to the wiki, it's equivalent to enchantment levels 5-19. Interestingly, the wiki doesn't say anything about whether multiple enchants are possible. Looking at the chart below (from here), it seems that there's about a 30% chance of at least 2 enchants if it is possible. Also, at those levels, silk touch is possible, and that's the one that gets the most complaints.

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17066 on: June 03, 2012, 11:40:54 pm »

Define Ambience
A map with natural-feeling additions. An abandoned ruin there, a giant tree there, etc. A map that doesnt strangle my ability to play the game normally, but is much more scenic then the current mapgen.

Zisteau's Globule 2 is pretty good, IMHO. It's basically a floating islands map, except each island is shaped more spherically and dedicated to a specific biome or idea. Vechs' Super Docile series is also pretty good for this; the first one, Hills of Moo, is a big island with forests and a desert (with pyramid) and some ruins and stuff, while the second one, Canopy Basic, is basically a giant jungle set atop interesting rocky terrain.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17067 on: June 03, 2012, 11:45:05 pm »

I'd say that any type of map generation that you haven't seen before will usually make you think it's good. Get used to it and you will eventually be asking for a new map generation.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17068 on: June 04, 2012, 12:18:33 am »

That's true, but these aren't generators, they're handcrafted custom maps.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17069 on: June 04, 2012, 12:35:43 am »

The whole cornucopia is a bad idea. It drastically imballances the starting situation to the person with the best access to a good chest. There are only two rational courses of action; flee, or go straight in, loot the easiest-to-access-chest, and move out.

If you flee, you will be hunted down by the guy who looted the lucky chest with steel swords.

If yo choose to loot, one of the following will happen:
- Someone will kill you either before you make it there, or while you're opening a chest.
- You open the chest and find food or armor or some other worthless item.
- You open the chest and find a useful weapon, and then may insta-kill everyone nearby with impunity, then take the armor and food for your own?

It makes the rest of the map redundant. It might as well be a random number generator deciding who wins the best sword, and thus, the game.

Well, in Hunger Games fashion, the opening at the Cornucopia is supposed to be a bloodbath. Moreover, I like that tactical decision; you can play it safe and run, or go for a high-risk high-reward chest retrieval.

As for trying to maintain balance in my WIP Survival Games map, inside the Coruncopia is a hidden admin area where there are chests with presorted items for the Cornucopia. At the start of the game, each chest in the Cornucopia is filled with one Major Item and 2 Minor Items. Major Items are a wooden weapon, a piece of chain armor, or another vital tool (a fishing rod, bow, etc). Minor items are food, consumables, and other utility items (torches, coal, arrows, a compass, an ender pearl, a potion, a boat, etc). Nice weapons and armor are something you'll have to find elsewhere, but these are enough to get players started.

There is also a 3rd admin chest which contains Artifacts, one of which is put into a random chest every day in place of a Major Item. These include a complete map of the playing field, a Golden Apple, an enchanted tool (Knockback II Stick, Waterbreathing Helm, etc). I might replace this chest with a Dispenser-Powered Randomizer instead, but I do like the Admin being able to exercise their discretion when picking this.

On subsequent days at dawn, each chest in the Cornucopia is refilled with 1 Minor Item, with one chest containing a single Major Item or Artifact instead. Only 1 person generally gets these, so the rewards are reduced for balance purposes, but they're enough to make it worthwhile to come back and risk a skirmish with other like-minded players.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:40:00 am by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 1136 1137 [1138] 1139 1140 ... 1380