Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426296 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #16305 on: March 30, 2012, 09:49:16 am »

So the Axe of the Stream is pretty amazing. Excellent tool for mass harvesting wood.
*Hugs*

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16306 on: March 30, 2012, 09:52:40 am »

I don't really have much a problem with enchanting. I sorta understand the angle Notch was coming from there, super frustrating old-school survival sims like WURM. They don't expect you to get to level 50 and the idea that you deserve to get there in any decent timeframe is absurd. The issue is that Minecraft is a very different beast than anything that has been done before, and there are a lot of fans that are not here for the mechanics of older games that are frustrating in the modern age.

It could be improved to be a lot less frustrating and more rewarding, that would be great and I would enjoy that, but I understand why it was designed the way it was. It's like badmouthing a roguelike for having an identification system that is difficult to use and has a good chance of killing you. Yeah, that's the point.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16307 on: March 30, 2012, 11:33:01 am »

I've been playing with the EE mod for the first time and it's a blast ! Actually i've never used any proper mod before, this really gives a new dimension to the game :)

I think next i'm going to try buildcraft and industrial craft.

Also, if any of you use EE (equivalent exchange), how exactly does multiple watches of flowing time on pedestals works ? I've read that each gives a 7% bonus and that stacking it gives diminishing returns and also it's capped at 10x speed but i'm not sure exactly what the math behind it is.

For instance, if i build one pedestal, does it means i'm now generating at 107% speed or does it means it takes 93% of the time it previously took to generate the same amount of EMC ? or something else ?

Sadly the wiki is outdated, and google failed me on finding that.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16308 on: March 30, 2012, 11:57:44 am »

So Zeppelin mod is definitely the best thing ever when it comes to Industrialcraft watermills. I've gotten a little rig set up that can pick up all of my watermlls, float them out over the water and dip them down to a depth that lets them generate electricity.

So making a massive hydroelectric generator is actually feasible now./

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:09:44 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16309 on: March 30, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »

Why would you need to remove them from the water?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16310 on: March 30, 2012, 12:41:57 pm »

You don't, you need to move them in to the water.

Watermills need to be surrounded on all sides by water blocks, so manually placing them all would be an absolute bitch.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16311 on: March 30, 2012, 12:55:29 pm »

Would pistons work? I could imagine a fairly effective way to push them down into some water via piston-mechanics. I had no idea the airship mods had gotten to the point where you can include IC2 constructions and have them work.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16312 on: March 30, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »

Consider me thoroughly confused... When I played with watermills, I built the mills and used a bucket over the top of them to run water over them.  I don't see why it's harder to build the mills and surround them with water.  You could also just swim under the water and place the mill on the wire if you didn't want to move the water.  I think it'd be more of a bitch to build a complex flying structure and manually sink it in water.  It's not like Minecraft water is DF water where a little mistake could flood your world.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16313 on: March 30, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »

The machines don't actually work whilst the airship is in motion, but they preserve their charge and inventories until you reconnect it to the grid.

And yeah, Pistons should work fine, the main challenge is in getting them suspended in water, as normally you'd have to pillar up to where you want to place the generator, place it, dig out from under it and connect it all together with wiring. Repeat that for as many HG's as you need, this allows you to do it en masse.

Consider me thoroughly confused... When I played with watermills, I built the mills and used a bucket over the top of them to run water over them.  I don't see why it's harder to build the mills and surround them with water.  You could also just swim under the water and place the mill on the wire if you didn't want to move the water.  I think it'd be more of a bitch to build a complex flying structure and manually sink it in water.  It's not like Minecraft water is DF water where a little mistake could flood your world.
IMO, having to build a pillar up from the bottom of the ocean to place the watermill on and then build a long pillar outwards to place many more on is more annoying than simply being able to sink several dozen of them down in a few seconds.

And anyway, where's the fun in simplicity? Building an airship and sinking enough hydro generators to provide hundreds of times more power than I need is a lot more fun than just efficiency and utility.
*Hugs*

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16314 on: March 30, 2012, 01:09:16 pm »

It's fairly simple to build a rig and dunk it rather than having to deal with water, flows, drowning and reduced mining speed. I would use water gens a lot more if water wasn't such a pain to work with for maximum coverage on a large scale. And no, I won't accept just dumping a bucket on top of the thing. That leaves like, five or six potential blocks empty.

I won't be using the airship mod until it's a bit less clunky though. I would kinda dig it if you could place blocks to define the area you want to include as an airship. So you could make a blimp, place blocks on the corners of the imaginary bounding box and have only those blocks ever activated, making docking easier.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16315 on: March 30, 2012, 01:16:25 pm »

This whole discussion reminds me that I need to test out the new liquid supplier pipe in logistics pipes. It can dump water from buckets or cells into a hydroelectric generator (or lava into a geothermal) for example, then route the buckets off to be refilled (via deployer against a buildcraft tank maybe?)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16316 on: March 30, 2012, 01:37:14 pm »

I think someone asked for a mod that made more sensible enchantment, well here it is. Its even up to date for 1.2.4 so any of you who play that can use it. I highly advise it for people annoyed with how expensive enchanting is or dislike how hard it is to get multiple enchantments, or the fact you can't repair your favorite enchanted item without it become disenchanted.

On another note, some of you bandied the idea that the RNG in this case was creating difficulty. You are not quite right there, it is making fake difficulty. Basically if it was not for the fact that enchanting was completely unneeded then it would would be unnecessarily padding game play time. What the system is supposed to be doing is provide a reward for killing things but as it stands now its creating a slot machine type experience where you pay time and frustration for a chance to pull the handle and hope you get something worthwhile. Worse yet most of the rewards, even the ones you want are not really worth the time investment unless you create some kind of mob grinder and that, if the word "grind" did not tip you off, makes the system into even more of a grind. Some things that would improve the system is making that certain steps in levels used has something concrete that you get for enchanting stuff like say at a certain point you always get at least 2 enchants and maybe at a few points the combined level of the enchants are guaranteed to add up to certain amount. Also as I understand it enchants max at Lv50 yet you get nothing special for enchanting at that level despite the fact it can be quite difficult just to get the RNG to make it appear as an option let alone the fact that getting there is something I have only done after killing the Ender Dragon or cheating and it should honestly give you at least one enchant at max at that point.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:39:07 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16317 on: March 30, 2012, 01:50:09 pm »

Just researched the Thaumic Generator, and actually, it's pretty damn snazzy now. It generates EU, MJ and Blutricity.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:53:06 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16318 on: March 30, 2012, 01:51:49 pm »

When did the minecraft thread turn into Igynpadca?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #16319 on: March 30, 2012, 02:18:09 pm »

When did the minecraft thread turn into Igynpadca?
Since Igynpadca was inspired by the Minecraft thread, I'd say sometime before this:
I would prefer if Jeb still maintained the design lead of the game as people seem to prefer his ideas, but I see no problem with Notch deciding that he wants to animate some good-looking birds to fly around or perhaps pools of Miasma which can be used on full moons to grow the Orobools and the Ehsbi for their Kinter tools.
This post gave me an idea for a new forum game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 1086 1087 [1088] 1089 1090 ... 1380