Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426475 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #16260 on: March 28, 2012, 09:23:59 am »

Actually, Industrialcraft sorta ended for me when I got all the pre-UU machines because getting energy-to-matter machines that early is stupid. It was incredibly tight before that. The magic mods are weirder and don't really work unless you have an ingame library of what you can make, like the Dust mod had.

I checked Thaumcraft again and it seems to have released that huge overhaul which makes everything better and cooler. Goddam this all looks neat, I can't wait to pla-

Research! It's a three-step process with high rates of failure using expensive materials and rare items for rare results. You have to do this to craft most objects.

I'm not opposed to having to discover a recipe in order to use it, as modders need to figure out different limiting factors other than increasingly rare items from manufacturing devices, it's the random chance of failure bit that kinda bugs me. Wouldn't be so bad if you could use stuff to increase the chance of success to a reasonable rate, but even doing that can cause the boosters to be consumed. No Thaumcraft, I am not throwing rare resources into a random number generator.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16261 on: March 28, 2012, 09:42:04 am »

Well after hours of work I've unlocked all but one of the research recipes in Thaumcraft. I am working on a design for my thaumitorium now.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16262 on: March 28, 2012, 10:15:39 am »

So I think my current world is Skyrim. every time I clear one bandit enclave out another one appears.
*Hugs*

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16263 on: March 28, 2012, 11:18:16 am »

Actually, Industrialcraft sorta ended for me when I got all the pre-UU machines because getting energy-to-matter machines that early is stupid. It was incredibly tight before that. The magic mods are weirder and don't really work unless you have an ingame library of what you can make, like the Dust mod had.

I checked Thaumcraft again and it seems to have released that huge overhaul which makes everything better and cooler. Goddam this all looks neat, I can't wait to pla-

Research! It's a three-step process with high rates of failure using expensive materials and rare items for rare results. You have to do this to craft most objects.

I'm not opposed to having to discover a recipe in order to use it, as modders need to figure out different limiting factors other than increasingly rare items from manufacturing devices, it's the random chance of failure bit that kinda bugs me. Wouldn't be so bad if you could use stuff to increase the chance of success to a reasonable rate, but even doing that can cause the boosters to be consumed. No Thaumcraft, I am not throwing rare resources into a random number generator.

Been looking into Thaumcraft.
And I cannot wait till it's updated to 1.2.4! >_<

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16264 on: March 28, 2012, 11:24:04 am »

Personally, I think mods need to add more challenges into the game other then "Get enough resources from your current machines to make the next tier of machines". I know all those mods are really cool, but WHY am I making these huge things? Convience? Shits and giggles? I'm sorry  but thats not enough for me to go on. When I make or do something, I want it to advance me to some ultimate overarching  goal. Thats the problem with Minecraft, isn't it? Its a bunch of fun till you realize that theres really no purpose to it.

I would love to see a mod that added a bunch of cool new and REALLY hard enemies and dungeons that require you constantly make new (costly) gear and create new huge (And expensive) contraptions to defeat. And it all leads to a big end goal which requires the highest and most powerful equipment to defeat. And of course it would involve the creation (And more importantly, defending) of huge awesome buildings and houses.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16265 on: March 28, 2012, 11:26:58 am »

Mo creatures is a good justification for the EE final armors  :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16266 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:14 am »

There ARE mods that add incredibly hard creatures and dungeons...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16267 on: March 28, 2012, 11:32:24 am »

They are a good justification for shooting the creator.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16268 on: March 28, 2012, 11:37:25 am »

Whut? You can take on anything from Mo' Creatures with a stone knife.
*Hugs*

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16269 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:30 pm »

I dunno about you, but the combination of Swiftwolf's Rending Gale (flying) and Archangel's Smite (seeking arrow shotgun/machine gun) basically makes any and all mobs insignificant.  And that's not even the highest tier stuff.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16270 on: March 28, 2012, 02:13:20 pm »

The creepers need to stay out of your vision and wait around corners for you, and try and path to all your chests. Spiders need to get up to high places and pounce when you open or attack something. Zombies.....Need to be more. Many more. Skeletons, shoot arrows that can set block on fire and poison the player.

And creepers can ride spiders. That the type of hard your looking for?

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16271 on: March 28, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »

The rare items needed for the more tricky recipes are mostly artifacts that you get from new/tainted mobs, random chests and other secret locations. You never actually have to toss in anything useful, although it could improve your chances. Books make a great research source once you've got a sugarcane farm going.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16272 on: March 28, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »

I dunno about you, but the combination of Swiftwolf's Rending Gale (flying) and Archangel's Smite (seeking arrow shotgun/machine gun) basically makes any and all mobs insignificant.  And that's not even the highest tier stuff.

Thats my point. Whats the point of building even better weaponry when you can one-shoot pretty much everything with a god damned musket you can make with 4 Iron, 1 Flint, 3 sticks and a plank of wood?

The creepers need to stay out of your vision and wait around corners for you, and try and path to all your chests. Spiders need to get up to high places and pounce when you open or attack something. Zombies.....Need to be more. Many more. Skeletons, shoot arrows that can set block on fire and poison the player.

And creepers can ride spiders. That the type of hard your looking for?

The thing is, a lot of those mobs are actually pretty pathetic once you have a decent set of equipment. Creepers can be easily detected and avoided if you are both cautious and quick enough, Spiders are pretty easy to kill once the've pounced on you and can be prevented via a one block long outcroping on your roof, and Zombies are laughably easy to kill in the group sizes they are in now. The only one I'm scared of on that list is Skeletons, which have slain me on many occassions. However, thats more because of my strange and silly behavior which leads me to never making a Bow or Arrows for it. However, once pinned against a wall, Skeletons are easy, as you can just keep spamming attacks before they can hit you.

But yes, these mobs can be hard in some situations. But thats not my point. My point is that a lot of Mods, notoriously a lot of the ones in the Technic pack, add all kinds of super powerful weapons and Machines, but don't add proportionate Difficulty to challenge you. A little while into a game of Technic and you can just destory everything in the snap of a figure.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16273 on: March 28, 2012, 03:00:14 pm »

I think I'm going to use my modpack, once completed, along with this mod to do a little RP Let's Play at some point. Write in-game research notes as I explore the new Thaumcraft2 stuff. I wonder if you can export the books once written...

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16274 on: March 28, 2012, 03:30:55 pm »

I know about it, and I really like the idea a lot. I think I'm going to get it at some point or another. Chances are, I'm going to use it in conjunction with some other mods for max awesomeness :P.

Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] 1086 1087 ... 1380