Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419308 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #16125 on: March 13, 2012, 12:07:03 pm »

So long as they continue to develop mod support I couldn't give less of a damn what they do with the vanilla game.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16126 on: March 13, 2012, 12:28:49 pm »

The fanbase has developed a hate for everything Notch ...
That's bold.  I consider myself part of the fanbase and I don't hate everything Notch.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #16127 on: March 13, 2012, 12:53:40 pm »

I would prefer if Jeb still maintained the design lead of the game as people seem to prefer his ideas, but I see no problem with Notch deciding that he wants to animate some good-looking birds to fly around or perhaps pools of Miasma which can be used on full moons to grow the Orobools and the Ehsbi for their Kinter tools.
This post gave me an idea for a new forum game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16128 on: March 14, 2012, 06:07:36 pm »

I have my 6th Technic video up so you can watch me fail at placing my IC machines.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16129 on: March 14, 2012, 10:45:27 pm »

While I do feel that Notch might not be as aggressive as he could be in making new features, I think Jeb is a bit too aggressive... or unfocused possibly. Throwing in a iron golem without villages being more fleshed out seems like an odd decision.

Notch makes pretty good vanilla ice cream. Tasty, but gets old after a while and he's slow to try toppings having only just gotten to multicolored sprinkles and whipped cream. Jeb throws in all kinds of toppings, gummi bears, oreos, marshmallows... each possibly being a good topping on their own, but really really... odd, when you throw them all  in the same cup. And you find one topping you like, but really, with that many toppings there's not much room for each one, so you only get a bite or two. Good for the ones you don't care for, but pretty bad for the ones you want more of.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16130 on: March 15, 2012, 02:09:03 am »

Strained metaphors aside, iron golems are here for a good reason. Villagers are dying faster than they can make villager juniors with the new, pathfinding, door breaking mobs. The iron golem is just acting as a hard-counter for them.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16131 on: March 15, 2012, 04:42:22 am »

Strained metaphors aside, iron golems are here for a good reason. Villagers are dying faster than they can make villager juniors with the new, pathfinding, door breaking mobs. The iron golem is just acting as a hard-counter for them.

...and are, let's face it, utterly awesome ways to protect player sites as well.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16132 on: March 15, 2012, 08:26:22 am »

But Villagers have no value aside from having a city of fleshy squidwards.
Thank you based dwarf.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16133 on: March 15, 2012, 11:45:45 am »

But Villagers have no value aside from having a city of fleshy squidwards.

That's what I mean... Villages really have no use at the moment, except to occasionally find an item here or there, or steal lava or building materials from. Nice place to shelter for a night, but it's not like millenaire where you can trade with the village, or do quests for them. They just kinda... are there...

There should be a reason to want to protect them first. Granted, if you suspend the idea that this is a game and just look at a village, protected by a golem, populated by a bunch of pigmen, it brings up some interesting, though ultimately unanswered setting questions.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16134 on: March 15, 2012, 01:14:40 pm »

You're not thinking like game developers. For a dev team, especially a dev team with live updates like Minecraft, problems always take precedence over new content. "Problems" range everywhere from crash bugs to issues of balance between weapon types. In this specific case, it's a matter of overly-aggressive AI programming utterly destroying villages.

While yes, Mojang could have just ignored it and spent their time adding more features to the villagers instead, it would result in two issues. First, since it's a problem that prevents the growth of a large aspect of the game, it's that HAS to be dealt with eventually. Second, if Mojang were to make villagers more useful first, there would be a period between when they were made desirable to players and when they could actually grow properly that could cause unrest in the player base, because the new feature they were given would be unfeasible to maintain.

As for the solution itself: Considering the other ways Mojang could have created a counter to this issue, Iron golems are actually one of the more inventive ones, not to mention one of the easiest to program.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:16:52 pm by Heliman »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16135 on: March 15, 2012, 01:19:14 pm »

Er, I heard minecraft is like wurm online.
Is that true?

You're not thinking like game developers. For a dev team, especially a dev team with live updates like Minecraft, problems always take precedence over new content. "Problems" range everywhere from crash bugs to issues of balance between weapon types. In this specific case, it's a matter of overly-aggressive AI programming utterly destroying villages.

While yes, Mojang could have just ignored it and spent their time adding more features to the villagers instead, it would result in two issues. First, since it's a problem that prevents the growth of a large aspect of the game, it's that HAS to be dealt with eventually. Second, if Mojang were to make villagers more useful first, there would be a period between when they were made desirable to players and when they could actually grow properly that could cause unrest in the player base, because the new feature they were given would be unfeasible to maintain.

As for the solution itself: Considering the other ways Mojang could have created a counter to this issue, Iron golems are actually one of the more inventive ones, not to mention one of the easiest to program.

or they could just put a wood block in back of the door at night.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:42:10 pm by eerr »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16136 on: March 15, 2012, 08:39:24 pm »

And now I realize this is double post
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:41:17 pm by eerr »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16137 on: March 15, 2012, 09:46:42 pm »

or they could just put a wood block in back of the door at night.
...Yeah. The NPC villagers could do that.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16138 on: March 16, 2012, 03:22:46 am »

They've got enough iron to make golems but not enough to make solid doors. Hrm....
They clearly chose a magical path over a technological one.  Thus they have invented living metal before mastering jamming a stick in a rock.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16139 on: March 16, 2012, 07:33:55 am »

They've got enough iron to make golems but not enough to make solid doors. Hrm....
If they used iron doors they would have to understand redstone.
Pages: 1 ... 1074 1075 [1076] 1077 1078 ... 1380